Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 108682 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2019, 06:29:55 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Didnt someone at one point proclaim that Sacramento would finish 12th and Memphis 9th?

Mustve been borderline genious....or mental
Someone may have and they would have been wrong. Where they finished still has to be determined, whether that is finished in the league standings or finished as to where their draft pick ends up.

Memphis could finish 8th in the league standings and Sacramento 13th but the Sacramento pick could finish 2nd and the Memphis pick 10th in that scenario in which case, someone would be wrong in both cases.

Should be interesting to see where the tie breakers have our picks land.

Nay that mental genius stated that they would finish with those pick positions, I dont believe he or she made any comment as to where the pick would be after the draft

« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2019, 06:56:13 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I live for the monent when at the same time the team wins the championship and has to select from positions 3 9 18 21 of the draft

« Reply #392 on: April 11, 2019, 08:19:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didnt someone at one point proclaim that Sacramento would finish 12th and Memphis 9th?

Mustve been borderline genious....or mental
Someone may have and they would have been wrong. Where they finished still has to be determined, whether that is finished in the league standings or finished as to where their draft pick ends up.

Memphis could finish 8th in the league standings and Sacramento 13th but the Sacramento pick could finish 2nd and the Memphis pick 10th in that scenario in which case, someone would be wrong in both cases.

Should be interesting to see where the tie breakers have our picks land.

Nay that mental genius stated that they would finish with those pick positions, I dont believe he or she made any comment as to where the pick would be after the draft
I am not talking about after the draft. Tomorrow all the tie breakers are done and we see where the teams end up before the draft lottery where, it is possible that their draft positions change from their standings finish. So there's no sense that person claiming they are right since, as I said, final finishing position still is not set until tomorrow and draft position until after the lottery.

« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I live for the monent when at the same time the team wins the championship and has to select from positions 3 9 18 21 of the draft
last time C's won a title and had a #2 pick in the draft it didn't work out so well.  maybe #3 will work out better in that regard

« Reply #394 on: April 11, 2019, 10:58:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Like many, I'm hoping to see a trade for AD in the offseason and hey, why not, the Sacto pick winning the lottery and coming in second.

If that doesn't happen, the guy i like and can see sliding to 6-9 in the draft is Brandon Clark - where we might be able to get him or make a small move up. He's not as strong as Mook right now and doesn't have the same range yet, but he's about as long, a phenomenal leaper (he'll remind you of RWIII with how fast he gets up), a solid BBIQ and a team-first game, and a soft, soft touch in the midrange and at the basket. Honestly, I think we might be able to give him rotation minutes right away (think of what Brogdon did for the Bucks) and then enjoy four productive years while he's still on a rookie deal instead of waiting a couple years to see what we've got.

« Reply #395 on: April 17, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
This is the guy I want the Celtics to take at #22.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/matisse-thybulle

Matisse thybulle. I just watched video of Thybulle, and yes, absolutely, positively, without a doubt he guy HAS to be a Celtic. I fell in love with him immediately.

He is a joy to watch on defense.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #396 on: April 18, 2019, 01:48:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
This is the guy I want the Celtics to take at #22.

Matisse thybulle. I just watched video of Thybulle, and yes, absolutely, positively, without a doubt he guy HAS to be a Celtic. I fell in love with him immediately.

He is a joy to watch on defense.  ;D

Coincidence! I was just reading the stepien review of this guy and was having the same thought.

His ceiling is Tony Allen-level defender with a plus three-point shot. Very athletic, high motor, great instincts in space. Historic steals and steals/40 numbers - better college numbers than players like Smart, Allen, Ron Harper. Major limitation is that he's not a creator of his own offense, but he has been a competent catch-and-shoot player (36% in college from 3) who may develop into a plus 3-point shooter if he puts in the effort. Main downside risk: he played zone D in college so we are guessing a little at how he will adapt to man defense, but the instincts, desire, and tools all look to be there.

If we send out Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown to get AD, it will really, really hurt to lose both of them - but picking this guy as a replacement could make sense, getting good fit and value toward the end of the first round. He's also already 22, so he's closer to his mature strength and hopefully readier to plug in.

« Reply #397 on: April 18, 2019, 07:54:16 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
KOC's Draft Guide came out today and by his projections, we would likely get:

14th pick (SAC): Bol Bol

20th pick (LAC): Nickeil Alexander-Walker

22nd Pick (BOS): Kevin Porter Jr.

That's not bad actually.  Tatum and Bol Bol for Fultz would be the final outcome of that trade for us and I don't think they'd take that again today lol.

There is a chance that the Memphis pick could convert this year, which would make it #9 and would give us Goga Bitadze.  If Stevens can start developing prospects again he could be a really good fit in our system.  He's very versatile with great size.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.238717640.974968457.1555630844-2038201462.1548958206

« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
nbadraft.net just updated their mock draft. They have Louis King, from Oregon, going to the C's with the Clippers pick. This kid was injured half the season and came back rusty. Thought was that he would return to school but he had a very solid tournament. He is silky smooth and is just a joy to watch. He'd be a great get. Has lots of talent so the tourney performance was no fluke. Keep an eye on this kid.
I also was the first to mention Brandon Clarke back in November or so and now everyone has caught on to his game. I now don't like him as much as everyone else as I think people are overrating him but I still like him. Just not with lottery pick, depending on who else is available.

« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
KOC's Draft Guide came out today and by his projections, we would likely get:

14th pick (SAC): Bol Bol

20th pick (LAC): Nickeil Alexander-Walker

22nd Pick (BOS): Kevin Porter Jr.

That's not bad actually.  Tatum and Bol Bol for Fultz would be the final outcome of that trade for us and I don't think they'd take that again today lol.

There is a chance that the Memphis pick could convert this year, which would make it #9 and would give us Goga Bitadze.  If Stevens can start developing prospects again he could be a really good fit in our system.  He's very versatile with great size.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.238717640.974968457.1555630844-2038201462.1548958206

I guess opinions differ on Bol Bol. I'm a hard pass. Just don't believe in his ability to stay healthy or to fit into our system of movement, space, and pace on offense.

I'm also not wild about Goga - the ringer says he "moves laterally like he has san****s around his ankles" and describes his defense when switched onto wings or guards as "hopeless".  [Edit - lol - the site bleeped out part of "sand bags" when I typed it as one word.]

I think people take for granted and so underrate the value of having a big like Horford, who can hold his own against all but the very best wings and guards. We would really miss it if we lost it. Gotta say also that JOC is an outlier on Goga; haven't seen anybody else has him so high. NBAdraft.net has us picking him at 22.  If he's there at 22 he may be worth a pick - maybe he'll develop better than it seems, but he seems likely to be a rotation player who can eat minutes in the regular season but won't be must use in the playoffs.

« Reply #400 on: April 19, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
back on my matisse thybulle pony now. the celtics need to take him with a late first round pick. his defense is incredible, he is very athletic, his 3 point shot looks to be okay to good, and his FT shooting is solid.

i love the effort and smarts he brings to the game. please watch the videos in the link below.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:58:36 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #401 on: April 19, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
back on my matisse thybulle pony now. the celtics need to take him with a late first round pick. his defense is incredible, he is very athletic, his 3 point shot looks to be okay to good, and his FT shooting is solid.

i love the effort and smarts he brings to the game.

The flip side is he averaged 9 ppg as a senior on 41.5% shooting and 30.5% on 3's.  His defense better be on par with Marcus Smart.

EDIT - I'd be much more inclined to buy a 2nd rounder and grab him than draft him at #22.  IMO he would be disappointing at #22.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #402 on: April 19, 2019, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

The flip side is he averaged 9 ppg as a senior on 41.5% shooting and 30.5% on 3's.  His defense better be on par with Marcus Smart.
watch the videos. i think he may be better than smart. this guy averaged 3.5 steals and 2.2 blocks a game this season. and yes his three point shooting was down in his senior year. but for his college career he was 35.8% and FT 78.2%. so not terrible in either case.

also read this article please:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/02/09/draft-notes-thybulle-thybulle-thybulle/ 

from the article:

That brings us back to Thybulle who averaged 5.2 steals per 100 possessions last year and is currently averaging 6.3 steals per 100 possessions. To put that into perspective, Robert Covington averaged 4.0 steals per 100 in his best season (Andre Roberson 3.9. Jae Crowder 4.3. Victor Oladipo 4.6 Michael Carter-Williams 4.7). Kawhi never over 3.0. Marcus Smart at 5.3 was the only non pure point guard defender I can find since sports-reference put up per 100 data with those kinds of steals numbers, and Thybulle’s current season is still something like 15-17 percent better than Smart’s best.

Thybulle is the best wing-sized ball thief that almost any of us have seen in college basketball. I think you’d have to go back way before Marion to Ron Harper, who played in the MAC, to find someone comparable. Really, that far. And Ron Harper was also one of the best defenders of his era.

- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #403 on: April 19, 2019, 11:16:20 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

watch the videos. i think he may be better than smart. this guy averaged 3.5 steals and 2.2 blocks a game this season. and yes his three point shooting was down in his senior year. but for his college career he was 35.8% and FT 78.2%. so not terrible in either case.

also read this article please:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/02/09/draft-notes-thybulle-thybulle-thybulle/ 

from the article:

That brings us back to Thybulle who averaged 5.2 steals per 100 possessions last year and is currently averaging 6.3 steals per 100 possessions. To put that into perspective, Robert Covington averaged 4.0 steals per 100 in his best season (Andre Roberson 3.9. Jae Crowder 4.3. Victor Oladipo 4.6 Michael Carter-Williams 4.7). Kawhi never over 3.0. Marcus Smart at 5.3 was the only non pure point guard defender I can find since sports-reference put up per 100 data with those kinds of steals numbers, and Thybulle’s current season is still something like 15-17 percent better than Smart’s best.

Thybulle is the best wing-sized ball thief that almost any of us have seen in college basketball. I think you’d have to go back way before Marion to Ron Harper, who played in the MAC, to find someone comparable. Really, that far. And Ron Harper was also one of the best defenders of his era.

Hey, trade the picks + Tatum + Smart for AD if that's what it takes, then buy a 2nd and snag this guy to replace Smart, and I'm totally on board  ;)
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #404 on: April 19, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Still intrigued by Jontay Porter.  Kid reminds me of Al Horford. I know the knee problems, two ACL tears in same knee (2nd tear because he disobeyed doc orders and tried to come back too soon, ugh), but that is why he will slip to late first/early 2nd.

Has good BBIQ, and a nice shooting touch.  Think he would be great off the bench to spell Horford.