Poll

Which of the following is the most likely?

No change, Belichick continues as head coach and GM
3 (10.3%)
Belichick continues as head coach but a new GM is brought in
3 (10.3%)
Belichick continues as GM but relinquishes some of the Coaching duties
3 (10.3%)
Belichick is traded
4 (13.8%)
Belichick is outright released
16 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Belichick Poll - What Happens After the Season  (Read 3361 times)

Belichick Poll - What Happens After the Season
« on: January 06, 2024, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Good time for everyone to get on the record as to what they think is going to happen.

Also, please comment if what you think will happen is different from what you want to happen.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:50:26 AM by Vermont Green »

Re: Belichick Poll - What Happens After the Season
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 03:31:15 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
I think he gets released. New GM is brought in, Mayo takes over as head coach, O’Brien stay on as OC and McDaniels comes back as an offensive assistant.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 10:44:46 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 03:41:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
The new GM needs to make a decision on the draft on Day 1.

And that decision is a new QB. Release Mac Jones. Bring in some new coaching bloods not have any significant ties to Belichick.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 11:39:19 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I have a horrible feeling he resigns as coach but becomes a full time GM or President of Football Operations  ???
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 11:50:55 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I have a horrible feeling he resigns as coach but becomes a full time GM or President of Football Operations  ???

If that happens, Jonathan needs to check Bob into a nursing home. Bill has been a much worse GM than coach.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 03:02:53 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I think Bill Belichick stays in the same role, and the Patriots have a good draft, ending up as contenders next season with their defense fully healthy. I believe Jimmy G will be back as the starting quarterback.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 05:58:29 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I think it’s up to Bill if he wants to leave or not
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 10:35:26 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

This is actually what I am thinking, but I am not as down on it as most.  He could be the overall head of football or something, still be the executive coach but bring in or promote a head coach.  Also bring in an assistant GM.

People pick on certain bad draft picks by Belichick and say it was more Brady, that Brady covered up Bill's mistakes.  But this was a top team for 20 years.  No other organization has ever done that and there have been plenty of good QBs.  I think part of the problem is that it is just too much for one person to coach the team (often all the way to the super bowl) and also prepare for the draft and other GM duties.  Is it really going to be better to bring in someone new to make the important personnel decisions in this critical year?  Do you want someone to come in and trade away the farm to move up and take a QB like San Fran did, or otherwise "make a splash"?

I actually think the best thing is to let Bill run this off season but to start to put the succession plan in place, both coaching and GM.  But if you move on from Bill entirely, bring in all new leadership, it is probably going to turn out worse.  People are convinced that Bill can't pick a QB but who are you going to bring in that you are sure can?

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 10:46:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Until recently, I thought Bob would stick by Bill, and let him work through this, but remove his GM responsibilities.  But I now feel that even if such an offer was made, Bill would not accept that.  So I think it is the end.  I doubt any type of trade would work.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 10:48:43 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Until recently, I thought Bob would stick by Bill, and let him work through this, but remove his GM responsibilities.  But I now feel that even if such an offer was made, Bill would not accept that.  So I think it is the end.  I doubt any type of trade would work.

I don't think he would accept that either.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

This is actually what I am thinking, but I am not as down on it as most.  He could be the overall head of football or something, still be the executive coach but bring in or promote a head coach.  Also bring in an assistant GM.

People pick on certain bad draft picks by Belichick and say it was more Brady, that Brady covered up Bill's mistakes.  But this was a top team for 20 years.  No other organization has ever done that and there have been plenty of good QBs.  I think part of the problem is that it is just too much for one person to coach the team (often all the way to the super bowl) and also prepare for the draft and other GM duties.  Is it really going to be better to bring in someone new to make the important personnel decisions in this critical year?  Do you want someone to come in and trade away the farm to move up and take a QB like San Fran did, or otherwise "make a splash"?

I actually think the best thing is to let Bill run this off season but to start to put the succession plan in place, both coaching and GM.  But if you move on from Bill entirely, bring in all new leadership, it is probably going to turn out worse.  People are convinced that Bill can't pick a QB but who are you going to bring in that you are sure can?

I think Bill is best served as an Ernie Adams type football strategist. He is good at analyzing tape and coming up with decoys on the defensive side. He's really good at teaching technical skills to players. I think he's the best defensive coach we've ever seen.

I don't think he's a great GM for 2024 and beyond. You can see that his approach is getting old. Gone are the days when late round picks can compete with the most talented players in the NFL. Purdy is the exception, not the rule. The Patriots might have the least talented roster in the NFL, and its directly due to Belichick and his front office (Groh, etc).

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2024, 11:11:37 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I got him being let go during the middle or end of this upcoming week (not "Black Monday")

Something about the "give up power and hire a new GM but stay on as coach" aspect is that I highly doubt Belichick is gonna listen entirely to the new GM anyways. If a talented guy drops a ball or something, Belichick will still just bench him as "punishment" during the season. He might also limit playing time for certain guys out of spite, he has definitely done that in the past and even this season. Belichick and his staff members will probably still have a lot of influence around the operations even if he doesn't have that GM title. I'd prefer to move on entirely and I think they will.

Admittedly though not sure who the next guy will be yet. Maybe it is Mayo after all but Vrabel could be available and maybe other names pop up. It'd be hilarious if Tomlin gets fired and the Pats hire him  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 12:00:34 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Bill hasn’t drafted a pro-bowl WR since Deion Branch back in the 90’s. It’s pretty incredible actually.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Bill hasn’t drafted a pro-bowl WR since Deion Branch back in the 90’s. It’s pretty incredible actually.

Do they give out rings or hang banners for drafting probowl WRs?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 12:29:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Branch was ‘02. Also, Belichick wasn’t head coach of the Pats until 2000.

He did draft the greatest TE of all time so I’ll give him some credit for that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team