Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 42054 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2024, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
The New England Patriots reportedly "checked in" with the Los Angeles Chargers about possible trade candidates at a time when wide receivers Mike Williams and Keenan Allen and edge-rushers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack are all the subject of rumors linking them to a potential change of scenery.

Doug Kyed of the Boston Herald reported the Patriots, who are flush with cap space, held talks with Los Angeles as it explores ways to duck under the cap.

The Chargers are nearly $26 million over the cap and need to get under cap before Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

I am not sure what happens to the Chargers if they don't get under the cap by 4:00p, but I find it plausible that the Pats are holding back some cap space in case there is a fire sale.  All the players mentioned make north of $32M.  All are one year other than Bosa is 2 years.  I am not sure if any of these make real sense for a rebuilding team but if they attach a pick or maybe a young player, maybe.  Or maybe they take back Ju Ju and his two seasons at about $10M each in exchange for say Allen and his 1 year at $35.7M.

Williams just got cut and Mack just restructured so he's staying.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2024, 02:37:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
The New England Patriots reportedly "checked in" with the Los Angeles Chargers about possible trade candidates at a time when wide receivers Mike Williams and Keenan Allen and edge-rushers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack are all the subject of rumors linking them to a potential change of scenery.

Doug Kyed of the Boston Herald reported the Patriots, who are flush with cap space, held talks with Los Angeles as it explores ways to duck under the cap.

The Chargers are nearly $26 million over the cap and need to get under cap before Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

I am not sure what happens to the Chargers if they don't get under the cap by 4:00p, but I find it plausible that the Pats are holding back some cap space in case there is a fire sale.  All the players mentioned make north of $32M.  All are one year other than Bosa is 2 years.  I am not sure if any of these make real sense for a rebuilding team but if they attach a pick or maybe a young player, maybe.  Or maybe they take back Ju Ju and his two seasons at about $10M each in exchange for say Allen and his 1 year at $35.7M.

Williams just got cut and Mack just restructured so he's staying.

OK, thanks for the update, hard to keep up.  With that, I suspect things will start to fall in place for the Pats more.

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2024, 04:57:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
OK, it is almost 5:00p.  What is Ridley doing?  No news is probably good news for the Pats chances to sign him.

Renfrow was cut by DEN.  Could be a legit plan B if no Ridley.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 05:03:57 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2024, 05:13:25 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
OK, it is almost 5:00p.  What is Ridley doing?  No news is probably good news for the Pats chances to sign him.

Ridley just signed with Tennessee.

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2024, 05:14:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Patriots dodged a bullet there.  That money is yikes.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
2m
Calvin Ridley is signing with the Tennessee Titans: 4 years, 92M, $50M fully guaranteed

Deal Negotiated by David Mulugheta and Reza Hesam.

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2024, 05:19:56 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Calvin Ridley is signing with the Tennessee Titans: 4 years, 92M, $50M fully guaranteed

Average of $23M per, wonder where the Pats were at.  Who is going to throw to him?  Are the Titans going to Trade for Fields?  Sign Garoppolo?  Run back Ryan Tannehill?

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2024, 05:20:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454

Patriots dodged a bullet there.  That money is yikes.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
2m

Deal Negotiated by David Mulugheta and Reza Hesam.

Wow. I was way off predicting 3yrs/$60M with $40M guaranteed. I thought he’d get overpaid, but [dang]…

Titans now have a decent 1-2 punch with Hopkins and Ridley.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 05:25:49 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2024, 05:28:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Average of $23M per, wonder where the Pats were at.  Who is going to throw to him?  Are the Titans going to Trade for Fields?  Sign Garoppolo?  Run back Ryan Tannehill?

Tennessee moved on from Tannehill. Will Levis is their starting QB. Titans drafted him last year and he played 9 games. Local kid, too. He’s from Newton, MA.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2024, 05:33:06 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Tennessee moved on from Tannehill. Will Levis is their starting QB. Titans drafted him last year and he played 9 games. Local kid, too. He’s from Newton, MA.

Yeah, now I remember.  Not sure how good he is though.  I guess Ridley wanted to get paid, not that I blame him.

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2024, 05:54:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
I wanted Ridley but 4/92M is insane lol. And he turns 30 next season as well. Oh well, I guess they’ll take a WR in the 2nd round, or maybe trade it in a package for a Higgins/Aiyuk-type

I would now target another OT in FA, such as Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams, especially if the plan is to take the QB at #3 anyways.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2024, 06:29:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Mike Williams and Hunter Renfrow are available.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2024, 06:30:36 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I have been saying that it doesn't make sense for the Pats to spend big on a WR this season but it doesn't make sense for TEN either.  I guess I started to get caught up in the hype.  This probably won't turn out to be a very good signing for TEN, but I guess that is what you say when your girlfriend breaks up with you.

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2024, 06:31:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have been saying that it doesn't make sense for the Pats to spend big on a WR this season but it doesn't make sense for TEN either.  I guess I started to get caught up in the hype.  This probably won't turn out to be a very good signing for TEN, but I guess that is what you say when your girlfriend breaks up with you.

Probably trying to make up for the botch job that was AJ Brown.

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2024, 08:52:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Tennessee is in year 2 of the young QB, they just signed a younger more dynamic RB than Henry, and already have Hopkins.  Them going after Ridley makes more sense than it did for the Pats, but it does still seem like a weird way to spend that much money. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2024, 09:56:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Ultimately, it feels like a foregone conclusion now Jayden Daniels is going #2.

So either the Pats love Maye at #3, or they'll trade down.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller