Author Topic: Game 5 Broadcast (merged)  (Read 8517 times)

Re: Game 5 Broadcast (merged)
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
i'm not 100% sure on the forum policys and such. am I allowed to post a link to a live stream of the game? if so ill give u guys a link to watch it

No, you can't post links.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:24:19 PM by fairweatherfan »

Re: Tomorrow's Celtics Game
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 05:19:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
The advent of these league in-house networks like MLBTV, NFL Network, and NBATV have certainly changed the playing field with regards to televised sports.

I really have no problem with a professional sports league trying to build an "in-house" brand but my contention is with the fact that they're all "a la carte" on a cable package.  Broadcasting regular season games is one thing but trying to exclusively present your league's playoff games on a network that has very little reach compared to the big cable hitters like ESPN & TNT?  Makes very little sense, IMO.

In regards to the playoffs, the league really should allow ESPN and Turner to carry all games on their family of networks (ESPN2, TBS, etc.).

Well, I don't think they are ala carte everywhere.  I am pretty sure NBATV and NFL network are both part of the regular comcast digital lineup now...at least where I live.

And honestly, I have no problem with it, since I think a couple years ago, these games simply weren't on national TV at all.

I think the "a la carte" thing is dictated by cable subscriber.  I know I have to pay extra out here in CHI if I want it.  To me, it blows for the playoffs.  I don't have the option of having CSNNE, either.

I understand the need to grow your brand but to put the playoff matchups on a prevalent channel?  Turner owns TBS also and they get a heck of a lot more households nation-wide than NBAtv.   Can you imagine the outcry if the NFL tried to put a playoff game on the NFL Network?  It would never happen.  It may not be a la carte everywhere but I guarantee a great deal of households would be locked out.

Like I said, for regular season, no problem.  For the playoffs?  C'mon.

Well TBS has its own programming, and I wouldn't be surprised if it out-rates the second tier NBA playoff games.

Basically, I do not think the question for the NBA is between putting it on TBS versus NBATV, the question is between putting it on NBATV, or no national broadcast at all. 

Well, I'm sure the current national television contract speaks to that, also.  TBS used to carry NBA games along with TNT.  My guess is exclusivity for NBAtv got pushed in during negotiations for the last tv deal.  That's the reason that TBS isn't doing it anymore.

The NBA had to have, at least, contributed to those television negotiations and, to me, throwing your playoffs on a channel that many in the country won't be able to see is a disservice to their fans and hurts exposure.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
i'm not 100% sure on the forum policys and such. am I allowed to post a link to a live stream of the game? if so ill give u guys a link to watch it

Nope, you can't share illegal links, either in the forums or via PM.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 05:20:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

No, you can't post links, but you can PM them to people who ask.

No, unfortunately, PMing illegal links is against our rules, as well.  To clarify:

Unless otherwise noted, all of the following apply to every aspect of this site, including but not limited to the forums, commentary on the front page, private messages, member profiles, and the Celticsblog / Celtics Stuff Live chat rooms . . .

Do not link or cite to sites that allow illegal file-sharing, streaming or broadcasting of copyrighted material.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 05:21:58 PM »

Offline lJesterl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 35
is there thin line or a way to get around that? can i give out my aim name?

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

No, you can't post links, but you can PM them to people who ask.

No, unfortunately, PMing illegal links is against our rules, as well.  To clarify:

Unless otherwise noted, all of the following apply to every aspect of this site, including but not limited to the forums, commentary on the front page, private messages, member profiles, and the Celticsblog / Celtics Stuff Live chat rooms . . .

Do not link or cite to sites that allow illegal file-sharing, streaming or broadcasting of copyrighted material.

Oops, sorry Roy - thought PMs were a gray area.  I've edited my last post to clarify. 

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
is there thin line or a way to get around that? can i give out my aim name?

Basically, so long as you're not using Celticsblog servers to share illegal information, we leave people to their own devices.

(For the record, we don't police PMs, either, and don't have the capability of doing so unless they're forwarded / reported, in case anybody is worried about staff snooping.  It's more an honor system thing.)

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 05:28:59 PM »

Offline lJesterl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 35
Thanks Roy I appreicate it. For anyone wanting to talk Celtics my aim name is LJesterL

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
You know if the C's just wrapped this up in 4 like they should have we wouldn't be having this problem.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Only bright spot is the possibility of hearing Tommy and Mike doing the game.

And I'm not sure if it was because of the NHL schedule, but the way the playoff schedule was laid out was poor. 4 interesting games tonight and then Milwaukee/Atlanta tomorrow. I only have a slight interest in Milwaukee/Atlanta, but I am a diehard NBA fan. The ratings on that one will probably be poor.

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Btw, after growing up in & around Boston my entire life and now living in the midwest, I totally commisserate with the "out of market" fan.  It can really blow.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Btw, after growing up in & around Boston my entire life and now living in the midwest, I totally commisserate with the "out of market" fan.  It can really blow.

It's definitely an underrated benefit of living in New England.  Having the Celts, Bruins, and Sox available locally is huge.

I'll trade you Pats games for the ability to watch the Bears, though. ;)

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
my advice that is completely unrelated to anything or anyone is to 'google it'.

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2010, 05:54:22 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
my advice that is completely unrelated to anything or anyone is to 'google it'.
Anything can be found if you want it bad enough :)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It's definitely an underrated benefit of living in New England.  Having the Celts, Bruins, and Sox available locally is huge.

I'll trade you Pats games for the ability to watch the Bears, though. ;)
I'm sad Suh's first NFL game will be against the Bears.

I have this fear he's going to suplex Cutler.