Yes
66 (58.4%)
I will make my final determination when the playoffs are over
44 (38.9%)
No
3 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: May 01, 2010, 08:46:05 AM

Author Topic: Rasheed Signing a Bust (Poll)?  (Read 12976 times)

Re: Rasheed Signing a Bust (Poll)?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think he is a bust because his regular season was so underwhelming. Especially disappointing has been his lateral speed in the post on defense, his lack of lift and desire to box out properly in rebounding and his penchant for three point shots that he clearly can not hit at an acceptable rate any longer.

Because of these things, his help defense and rotations have been abysmal all year, his rebounding is awful for a man of his size(11.2 rebound rate!!!), and his offense has struggled mightily.

These were the specific reasons he was brought into this team. To rebound, play defense and score off the bench consistently. He hasn't.

And when you sign a player to be your all important sixth man and pay him accordingly and he brings close to nothing to the table in the playoffs, he is hurting the team. You want to have an opinion that a sixth man can produce nothing and but say he isn't hurting the team, by all means have that opinion. But by contributing NOTHING when SOMETHING is not only expected but is being paid for, you are hurting your team. But then again that is just my opinion.

Question I have for the 20 or so people who have not determined if he is a bust yet:

If the playoffs were over, right now, this instant and the same question was posed, "Is Rasheed a bust?", is your answer yes or no?

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think it was a bust, sure, and I have no confidence that Rasheed will get his act together for the next few weeks (or the next two seasons).

That being said, I supported Danny when Rasheed signed, and I still think it was a logical move (even if I didn't love that we gave three years.) 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it was a bust, sure, and I have no confidence that Rasheed will get his act together for the next few weeks (or the next two seasons).

That being said, I supported Danny when Rasheed signed, and I still think it was a logical move (even if I didn't love that we gave three years.) 
Me too. I loved the signing at the time.

My first doubts were when he started jacking up threes so often while the team was winning. I started a thread questioning his and the team as a whole's love for the three point shot that I feared would lead to lazy offense that could develop bad habits.

As the threes didn't stop and the obvious problems in his defensive and rebounding games became more and more evident, I started having bigger probs with Sheed. Now, looking back, I have to determine he is a bust because I have no faith that he has the ability to turn things around this year or get better as his contract rolls on.

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The 76ers are going hard after Larry Brown once the Bobcats are knocked out of the playoffs. This will make dumping Rasheed easier for the Celtics as Brown takes over the GM and coaching role. Wallace's Philadelphia homecoming could be a good sell in lessening the embarrassment of the all out courting last summer too.

"76ers Waiting For Larry Brown" http://realgm.com/

Rasheed for Louis Williams straight up works and would solve our backup PG need with a combo guard off the bench.

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
The 76ers are going hard after Larry Brown once the Bobcats are knocked out of the playoffs. This will make dumping Rasheed easier for the Celtics as Brown takes over the GM and coaching role. Wallace's Philadelphia homecoming could be a good sell in lessening the embarrassment of the all out courting last summer too.

Rasheed for Louis Williams straight up works and would solve our backup PG need with a combo guard off the bench.

I'm not sure that they'd move anybody of value for Rasheed, but at this point, I'd do Rasheed + filler for Dalembert.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Of course that would be great but there is no way they would do that. Williams is one of the players who actually played well for them this season.

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Of course that would be great but there is no way they would do that. Williams is one of the players who actually played well for them this season.

Williams played well in spurts but was overall a disappointment to a team that was very high on him.

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I'm not sure that they'd move anybody of value for Rasheed, but at this point, I'd do Rasheed + filler for Dalembert.

$12 Million Center coming off the bench huh? Unless that Filler happens to be KP.

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Williams played well in spurts but was overall a disappointment to a team that was very high on him.

It's my understanding that the Sixers are blaming Eddie Jordan for a lot of the struggles that the young guys had.  Because of that, I think they'll be hesitant to trade any of that talent (Williams, Speights, Young, Igoudala) until a new coach gets in there.

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Question I have for the 20 or so people who have not determined if he is a bust yet:

If the playoffs were over, right now, this instant and the same question was posed, "Is Rasheed a bust?", is your answer yes or no?

I think I made that pretty clear that yes he would be a bust if it were over today.  However, that wasn't the point of this thread.  I think most everyone can agree that he has underperformed to date.  I reserve all player grades until after the post-season is over.

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Would they do that though?  Dalembert is an expiring contract.  The "filler" would have to be something of value to make it worth it for them.

I actually think we would have a better chance of working out a deal with Charlotte, who have the UNC connection, and have loved bringing in anyone who might bring in some local interest.  Plus, Charlotte has more guys they might be looking to get rid of.

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

$12 Million Center coming off the bench huh? Unless that Filler happens to be KP.

The question becomes, what's better:  a $7 million center who adds nothing, or a $12 million center who can at least contribute?

Would they do that though?  Dalembert is an expiring contract.  The "filler" would have to be something of value to make it worth it for them.

I actually think we would have a better chance of working out a deal with Charlotte, who have the UNC connection, and have loved bringing in anyone who might bring in some local interest.  Plus, Charlotte has more guys they might be looking to get rid of.

Good point, although I get the sense that an expiring contract holds less value in Philly, since they have no interest in taking on long-term salary.  Therefore, it's not going to be something that lands them a superstar, in my opinion.  You're probably right, though, that to take on Rasheed's extra year, they'd need a sweetener.

Charlotte definitely could be a possibility, as well.  I think any trade of Rasheed is basically going to have to amount to a salary dump, though; any player we take back is going to be flawed, whether it be over-priced or just not that talented.

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 12:49:12 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Your quote gives the impression that Dalembert is rather worthless.  Quite frankly I thought he did pretty well this year, and excelled in blocking shots and rebounding.  I really wish he were on this team now, and would give more than just Wallace and "filler" for him.  

Edit:  Didn't realize his contract value was so high.  I'd still do it though.

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

It's my understanding that the Sixers are blaming Eddie Jordan for a lot of the struggles that the young guys had.  Because of that, I think they'll be hesitant to trade any of that talent (Williams, Speights, Young, Igoudala) until a new coach gets in there.

That makes sense, the minute distribution in Philly was very erratic last season.

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Well, it gives you some nice cap savings the following season, and it gives you a little more flexibility to trade Perk this offseason, to try to get value for him, before he leaves as a FA the following season.