Yes
66 (58.4%)
I will make my final determination when the playoffs are over
44 (38.9%)
No
3 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: May 01, 2010, 08:46:05 AM

Author Topic: Rasheed Signing a Bust (Poll)?  (Read 12978 times)

Re: Rasheed Signing a Bust (Poll)?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is where I think we have a big divide on this board, and I'm curious to see the poll results.  I personally will not make a determination until the playoffs are over.  He was brought in for the playoffs and particular matchups against premium teams.  Maybe he'll keep playing bad, I don't know, but I know that I can't make my final determination until it's all said and done.

Therefore, I don't go posting "Get him off this team!" or "bust!".

Go back to the game logs over the season, and look at his numbers against the "premium teams."  They aren't good.  Going off memory here, but I'm pretty sure his two best games of the season were against Philly and Sacramento.  He talks about stepping up in big games, but against the elite teams he has completely disappeared.

No idea about the numbers, but Wallace played very well in a couple games against the Cavs and Magic (I think the Lakers and Spurs as well, but not as positive about that).

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Another guy we could've gotten:

McDyess has actually stepped up and been fairly productive for the Spurs.  He's playing for less money than Sheed.

Rasheed is an unmitigated bust especially if you just look at the players the Celtics could have gotten (many for less money). If they had just looked past the name and paid attention to his stats and body language over the last year or two, we might not be stuck with him.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:32:59 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
This is what I'm trying to get at with this poll... 1/3 of all people so far are still waiting to make that determination.

It doesn't mean that we (those who are waiting) aren't uphappy with how he has played, or don't agree that he got paid too much for his production.  

Rasheed is not going to hit a "big shot" in the playoffs, so I don't understand that criteria from some people.  As an example, I have been frustrated with Ray Allen in the past (note:  past) when he gives up 36 points but hits a game winner and people talk about how important he is.  Had he never played terrible defense we wouldn't have been in that dire situation.  Similary, Rasheed, if he will prove to be helpful in this championship run, won't do it with a big shot.  It is going to come down to holding the opposing team's big man from scoring as much as he'd like to and getting rebounds.  I still believe that against Cleveland/Orlando he is our best bet to accomplish those things.  

Will he?  Time will tell.  I don't care much for what he's done so far, but its amazing that he gets continually hammered and every other player has a free pass on here.  The determination, IMO, can't fully be made yet.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
A bust is being nice. I've made my feelings known about him all year. He's a disgrace to the Celtic uniform.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I still think Sheed could be useful against the Cavs, and if they get past them, the Magic...however, there is no doubt he is a bust for the amount they paid him.  He needed to be a difference maker, and now, he is (at best) a 6 foul guy.
He's absolutely a bust, but hopefully he'll still have value.

He's providing the level of production you want out of a veteran's minimum guy, not a full MLE player.

Exactly.  If he were here on a 1 year, $2.5 million deal, I would have no problems with him (other than the standard frustration that I have with most bench players with holes in their games).  But as an MLE player, he just has a lot more to live up to.

I also do not feel like there is much of a chance of him getting better.  I know the whole perception of laziness, and I don't completely disagree, but to me, the issue is not that he is lazy, but that he looks absolutely cooked.  Unless he is playing exclusively in the post on defense, he just does not have the physical ability anymore.
I think you captured it perfectly.  He doesn't produce enough to justify his contract and he doesn't seem to have the fire/ability to take his really bad level of play up a notch.  that's the sad part at this point, there just doesn't seem to be any higher level at which he can perform.  We may get lucky with a "breakout" game of 10 points/5 rebounds but that should be his floor level of play, not his ceiling.

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, my thing is this:

edit: see PM - Chris
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:44:51 AM by Chris »

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am going to wait.

He was brought in the give the Celtics a boost against teams like Clev and Orlando. 

If he comes off the bench those series and plays good defense, then I have no issue with him.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 11:03:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am going to wait.

He was brought in the give the Celtics a boost against teams like Clev and Orlando. 

If he comes off the bench those series and plays good defense, then I have no issue with him.

Even if he comes in and plays excellent against Cleveland and Orlando, do you think he would be worth the contract?

Because to me, that is the issue.  I have no problem with having him on the team, and I have no problem with getting him over the other big men that were available.  But I think for full MLE money, you need to be a consistently effective and dangerous player, and he has already shown he is not. 

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am going to wait.

Even if he comes in and plays excellent against Cleveland and Orlando, do you think he would be worth the contract?

Because to me, that is the issue.  I have no problem with having him on the team, and I have no problem with getting him over the other big men that were available.  But I think for full MLE money, you need to be a consistently effective and dangerous player, and he has already shown he is not. 

If he does that in the playoffs, and the Celtics continue to move forward, then I am fine with the amount he is earning.

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I am going to wait.

He's proven that he's not worth the money but I agree with Wdleehi.  If this guy comes in and plays well against Cleveland & Orlando and puts us over the top, I'm not gonna label him bust.  When he came in, that's where I envivisioned his signing would help us.

To me, that's why I'm holding off until the playoffs are over.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Sheed has a "JD Drew in the '07 ALCS" moment and puts us over the top, I'll be totally content and the money won't be on my mind.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Do we really need another topic on this? The issue is gettin beaten to death.

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, like I've mentioned before - I am waiting until after we are finished this season - whether that is June or against CLE. I believe that the Sheed signing wasn't a bust.

The posters here who voted against Sheed have brought another factor into the equation: Money.

I had not thought of how much we are paying him. In the real world, that much money should mean equal effort.

I have always mentioned in Sheed's defense that he helped us out in a few big games this year. Well, those three games cannot vouch for the other 70 or so that it appeared to me there may not have been max effort from him.

Sheed is a Man - he may be stubborn. He may be bored. It's been mentioned several times in the past that he has a very high basketball IQ - to the point where he could coach one day. Maybe these "Lesser" teams are beneath him. He may see himself as accomplished already, with the one ring, I don't know. I know that Danny brought him here to help us get another Banner.

He could be waiting until CLE. If not, then Danny will address it in the Summer.

Worst case scenario is that we have Glen as our primary Big off the bench for the next 6-7 weeks, with Shelden and Sheed sprinkled in. As long as KG and Perk stay healthy, I love our chances.

In wrapping up, I voted to wait. I still believe he will help us. And so far in the playoffs, I don't think he has hurt us.

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Yes. He is a bust.  As a matter of fact, I don't understand what he is doing on the floor.  The way I see it, if he is not giving you defense and rebound, then what Is he good for?  To spread the floor lol...

Put SWilliams in for heavens sake.  At least you know what you are getting....defense, rebounds and effort

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:01 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I voted to wait and see until the playoffs are over.

But....

If Larry Brown still wants him on Charlotte so bad, we'd be silly not to jump at the chance to ship him out

... agreed.

I am in complete agreement with everything CMan said.

Me 2.