Author Topic: Can the Celtics win another series if their Center doesn't score?  (Read 7924 times)

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I am quite confident they will defeat Miami Tuesday night and move to the next round. However, does this team even have an honest chance in the next round getting zero production out of the center position -- Perkins and Sheed? And, what the heck is going on with Perkins? I wonder when the last time was that he went back-to-back games without scoring?

Re: Can the Celtics win another series if their Center doesn't score?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
As long as Perk / Rasheed can keep Shaq / Varejao from scoring a lot, then I'd say yes.  We've never relied on Perk for scoring as long as KG is healthy, and that seems to be the case now.  Cleveland doesn't particularly rely on their centers for scoring, either.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yep.  We have enough offensive weapons.  If the defense and rebounding from Perk is good, we should be fine.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
No.

The center scores when the spacing is good and the team is moving/sharing the ball...Perk gets wide-open dunks when his man helps penetration or doubles KG or someone else. 

If Perk isn't getting wide-open dunks, then something very significant is wrong with the offense as a whole, and winning a series is doubtful.

If we get double figures from the center position, and our defense is good, we're virtually unstoppable.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yes.

Hell, anything is possible so long as he is shutting down the guy he is playing.

The question should be:

Can another team beat the Celtics when Perk is so thoroughly shutting down their center like he is in this series to Jermaine O'Neal?

Remember, Perk is the 5th option. How many teams are the C's going to face that have their starting center as their 5th option?

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
As long as they defend effectively, limit 2nd chance scoring opportunities, and crash the boards; we really don't need the scoring from me.  That will be taken care of by others. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
As long as they defend effectively, limit 2nd chance scoring opportunities, and crash the boards; we really don't need the scoring from me. 

Perk, is that you?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
All Perk knows what to do with the ball is travel and throw it away. Do you really want the ball in that guy's hands?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:04:35 PM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
The question should be:

Can another team beat the Celtics when Perk is so thoroughly shutting down their center like he is in this series to Jermaine O'Neal?

Co-sign.

After being a major factor in the Heat's end of the regular season run, O'Neal, the Heat's third leading scorer, is now 6-34 thru four games, averaging 3.5 points, 6 rebounds and 1.8 TOs.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The question should be: Can the Celtics win another series if their bench doesn't score.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:57:41 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
CAN PERK DUNK....? what the hey......catch and dunk ......sheed, does he go into the paint more than 3x a game..?  Might as well trade sheed for Antoine Walker, same type of problems..minus the gambling...!

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Not very worried about Perk. Feels more like an anomaly than anything else. Although his habit of gathering himself to go back up with an offensive rebound is leading to a lot of turnovers and blocked shots.

Sheed remains garbage. Those who think he's giving us anything more tangible than he did in the regular season, please make your case. Because he looks as disinterested as ever to me.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yes.

Hell, anything is possible so long as he is shutting down the guy he is playing.

The question should be:

Remember, Perk is the 5th option. How many teams are the C's going to face that have their starting center as their 5th option?

I like this post. All I know is Perk is the anti-Sheed and I'm amazed that Perk tolerate's Sheed's existence. I would think the Earth isn't big enough for the two of them

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Perk doesn't need to score, he just doesn't need to cause our team to not score when he sets illegal screens or travels or gets stripped.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
08 finals Perk had 1 point in the first game, 2 in the fourth, and 2 in the 6th.

We don't need him to score to win.