Author Topic: Plans for the Summer....Baby vs. Haslem  (Read 2849 times)

Plans for the Summer....Baby vs. Haslem
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
During the game, JVG and Mark Jackson, mentioned how Udonis Haslem will also be
a Free Agent, in addition to Dwyane Wade.

I personally think, that Danny should look to trade Big Baby, and then try and sign Udonis Haslem
during the summer.

I Think Udonis Haslem off of our Bench would be a lot better than all of our bench players currently (TA with the slight exception)
I think we could actually get him.

What do you think?
Do you think we could realistically get him?
Thoughts......

Re: Plans for the Summer....Baby vs. Haslem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sign me up. Haslem has always been one of my favorite players. He would be EXACTLY what this team needs from the bench. A long athletic high flyer that can contribute on both ends of the floor and hussles his behind off. Plus he can actually play above the rim, and challenge shots defensively....Something not ONE of our big men can currently do anymore.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am not sure Baby has to go- it could be Rasheed, but it would be great to get him, though. He is a very good team player who gives great effort...he REALLY would have cut his hair first, though. Cornrows are okay and all, but I have always hated how they are so long...

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I'd love to have Haslem. He's probably the 2nd best player on the Heat.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Most already complain that this team(Celtics) is to old,Udonis is close to 31yrs.old.The moment he doesn't play well the threads will be one after another,why did Danny pick up another player over 30..just sayin

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Most already complain that this team(Celtics) is to old,Udonis is close to 31yrs.old.The moment he doesn't play well the threads will be one after another,why did Danny pick up another player over 30..just sayin

Haslem would still be better than either Davis or Rasheed though, and that alone is justification to go after him.  In addition, I think he'd fit in well with this team's makeup.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

Haslem would still be better than either Davis or Rasheed though, and that alone is justification to go after him.  In addition, I think he'd fit in well with this team's makeup.
I have always Like Udonis and i agree that he would possibly fit into what the C's do.A lot depends on how many yrs.he would want,and the price...im looking at the bigger picture,this team needs to start getting younger,more athletic. 

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Haslem won't provide our front court with the athleticism it needs. He'd be better than BBD or Rasheed, but hopefully the C's can land a better fit.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

Sheed's already 36 or so, so that's one thing.

Haslem at 31 I think I can accept. Like housecall, to me it depends on how long he's asking for. For the right price, who knows.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Haslem seems to like being in Miami and they love him.  He's making $7.1 million and Miami has his Bird rights.

To get Haslem, a team would probably have to be able to pay more than the MLE.  Possibly, that team would have to be willing and able to do a sign-and-trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Not sure I even like to entertain the idea of signing a player from a playoff opponent while still in the midst of it. That said, I can understand the interest in Haslem.

But no chance. First off, Celtics already have their change of pace PF under contract for next season. Second, our team isn't likely to have anything more than the mid-level to spend. And as has been pointed out, it would take significantly more to pry loose U.D., a Heat team captain for the past three seasons.

The first time Haslem was a free agent he left at least $10 million on the bargaining table, turning down a more lucrative offer from the Cavaliers - out of loyalty to the franchise that gave him his start.

Doesn't help either that he's a Miami native and former Gator.

EDIT - Or to put it another way, it's more likely we'll see Haslem back in black next season than second pick Michael Beasley. Maybe if Wade bolts to Chicago? (Long shot.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:54:29 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 01:26:40 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
We could do a lot worse than Haslem.  But he'll probably make more than the MLE somewhere else given the FA market this summer (lots of teams overpaying).

Tyrus Thomas is one of my top wish-list guys.  Athleticism and potential...that's what the Celtics need to start stockpiling.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 02:11:44 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
We could do a lot worse than Haslem.

I don't think the Celtics can even sign someone as good as Haslem unless Ainge is willing hand out a full MLE contract to an unproven player with potential or a proven player with a history of injuries or off-the-court problems.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 02:47:06 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We could do a lot worse than Haslem.  But he'll probably make more than the MLE somewhere else given the FA market this summer (lots of teams overpaying).

Tyrus Thomas is one of my top wish-list guys.  Athleticism and potential...that's what the Celtics need to start stockpiling.
Why would a lot of teams be overpaying?

The teams who are under the cap will be going for the big names. They will not have an MLE, so after the big names, they will have limited money available. Even Miami seems to want to use their cap space to sign a top guy (while keeping Wade), which means not so much money to throw around to fill roster.

The top teams, like us, will only have the MLE.

I wouldn't mind a player like Thomas, though for me it is not due to "potential", but the other reason you mention. I'm not sure I see any potential. He seems to be the same player every year. Is there any reason why we should expect him to be any more than what he already is? Has anyone who has seen more of him noticed any development that the stats don't reflect?

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 03:52:54 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
There are more expendable players than Davis, IMO ... don't like it.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *