Author Topic: Why does no one give the C's a chance vs. Cle?  (Read 12282 times)

Re: Why does no one give the C's a chance vs. Cle?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
So what does Cleve really have....

I think Cle is similar to Miami in that they have the stud and a bunch of complimentary players although Cle's stud is even better than Miami's stud.  Then of course they have Shaq and Z and Miami has no real big guys.

If you are suggesting that Cle is not that good or overrated or something, I don't buy it.  Cle is going to be a tough out for the C's or anyone, even if they are playing at the top of their game.

Oh yeah, the Cavs are superior to Miami in every way. The superstar is better. The big men are bigger. The streaky shooters get hot more often. And I am very impressed with how Varejao, over the past couple seasons, has really turned himself into an extremely efficient energy player - to the level of a Dennis Rodman. He is a legit weapon.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Tim Legler on First Take with Skip Bayless said we have a shot and that he was waiting for Paul Pierce to have one of his take over games which he did last night.  Also he said that he believes who ever gets out of the Cleveland Boston series would be going to the finals, so maybe after Paul's game last night he likes us to beat Cleveland.

I heard him say this too,and if you remember back in our championship season,Legs was the only analyst that picked the C's to win it all.He has always been fair when analizing the Celtics.He's one of few analysts that track the NBA teams i take serious.tp

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......

I think Cle is similar to Miami in that they have the stud and a bunch of complimentary players although Cle's stud is even better than Miami's stud.  Then of course they have Shaq and Z and Miami has no real big guys.

If you are suggesting that Cle is not that good or overrated or something, I don't buy it.  Cle is going to be a tough out for the C's or anyone, even if they are playing at the top of their game.

I am NOT saying Cleve isn't tough..their record proves they always find a way to win...and that is part of my point, playing them, they all try to find a way to get in, every one of them contributes and feeds off of the seams that lebron makes..that is why you have to cover all of them, has anyone ever gone after lebron physically..? Deny him the ball? I only see how WE guard him, how about the other teams...Doc needs to look at what team has shut him down, how THEY did it.....research.....that is what "I" would do as coach-strategist.....but again, just my thoughts....perhaps I don't know any better...!

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:40 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
And please don't find a way to say that i compared them to miami......i compare miami to detroit maybe, plus D wade..Cleve is Cleve, a comparison to another team would take too long....

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If  there is one thing i might be afraid of from the cavs is probably their bench.The first 3-4 guys off their bench are more athletic and seem to bring a lot more energy to the floor than our bench guys.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I am NOT saying Cleve isn't tough..their record proves they always find a way to win...and that is part of my point, playing them, they all try to find a way to get in, every one of them contributes and feeds off of the seams that lebron makes..that is why you have to cover all of them, has anyone ever gone after lebron physically..? Deny him the ball? I only see how WE guard him, how about the other teams...Doc needs to look at what team has shut him down, how THEY did it.....research.....that is what "I" would do as coach-strategist.....but again, just my thoughts....perhaps I don't know any better...!

Its very very hard to deny a big guard a ball. Even though he plays forward, Lebron is essentially a PG for his team. And all he has to do is stick his arms straight up and out jump a Pierce or TA, and then he has the ball.

However I do completely agree with you that you have to try and you have to make him work at everything, even getting the ball. The more he has to work, the more likely a mistake can be made. Heck, if Rondo pressures the passer, and Tony pressures the receiver, good things can happen.  :)

Keep throwing different looks at them. Man to man, zone, pack the paint, occasional pressure. Keep disrupting their rhythm.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Sports talking heads are front runners all day and night.  Don't give them any mind.  Remember the SI panel on the Bos-LA final series?

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'd give the C's a 10-20% chance in that series.

Yes, they played them even in the regular season, but Cleveland just has so many weapons and you'd better believe the refs will be on their side.  The Big 4 will have to step up big time in order for them to have a shot at winning the series.

One way or another, I think it'll go 6 or 7 games.

It's not much (if any) worse than 50-50. But beyond that, would you favor Cleveland over Orlando? I don't know that I would.

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What ticked me off is not so many not giving the Celtics a chance.. Against Miami!  Miami wanted to play the Celtics because the pundits thought they had a better chance against the Celtics, even though they beat Atlanta 3 out of 4 and lost all five regular season games to the Celtics. ****!

I was watching Around the Horn on yesterday and they were surprised that Miami was 0-2 against the Celtics (even though they were the road team) and thought that there was no way Miami loses game 3.

I understand that the Celtics have been inconsistent all season, but that same inconsistent team beat Miami every time they played.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
What ticked me off is not so many not giving the Celtics a chance.. Against Miami!  Miami wanted to play the Celtics because the pundits thought they had a better chance against the Celtics, even though they beat Atlanta 3 out of 4 and lost all five regular season games to the Celtics. ****!

I was watching Around the Horn on yesterday and they were surprised that Miami was 0-2 against the Celtics (even though they were the road team) and thought that there was no way Miami loses game 3.

I understand that the Celtics have been inconsistent all season, but that same inconsistent team beat Miami every time they played.

MOST of those guys on TV are there actualy to enflame you..to say controversy...to get you mad and involved, calling in and improving their ratings...like that guy steven smith...all he did was get people mad...they are just like those guys that talk stocks...they try to steer you, then claim no responsibility for what they said yesterday...! NE teams thrive off of being the UNDER DOG...That should be our team mascot...LOL... And, i am not calling you out,,,just ranting and agreeing..! Those guysd on TV...they are just bloggers with a job..!

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Miami tried to tank the last game of the season to get Atlanta instead of us.  They sat Wade and had deep bench guys in during overtime.  Unfortunately for them they were playing New Jersey and accidentally won.  But they definitely did not want to play us.

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 03:35:35 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I'd give the C's a 10-20% chance in that series.

Yes, they played them even in the regular season, but Cleveland just has so many weapons and you'd better believe the refs will be on their side.  The Big 4 will have to step up big time in order for them to have a shot at winning the series.

One way or another, I think it'll go 6 or 7 games.

It's not much (if any) worse than 50-50. But beyond that, would you favor Cleveland over Orlando? I don't know that I would.

I would've given them a 10-20% chance against Cleveland (assuming they won in the Quarter-Finals of course) before the playoffs. After these last 3 games, I'd say it's 50-50. What the Celtics did this season, is smart when you think about it. Last season, PP/RA were too gassed carrying the load when KG went out, KG missed the playoffs, because they went balls-to-the-wall for 2 seasons straight, including 40 playoffs games combined. The Celtics definitely have a better chance against Cleveland because they saved it for the playoffs than if they played the season with the same intensity level of the last 2 years. It almost feels like we traded for 4 future Hall-Of-Famers and some good D when the playoffs started. lol

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i love it.....more bulletin board ammo for the boys in green!  i love having the bad guy and/or underdog role.

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
People love to understimate us. They all were betting on the Lakers against us in 2008 final too. I love the underdog role. It gives our players more motivation to prove doubters wrong.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

The vast majority of media people picked Boston to beat Miami.