Author Topic: Gabe deserves a few minutes  (Read 8576 times)

Gabe deserves a few minutes
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Disclaimer: I know, I know, “If he deserved it, doc would play him, you don’t know what goes on behind the scenes!” all true, but bear with me.

If frustrates the hell out of me that Gabe continues to play pretty solid minutes, yet we reward chowder heads like tony with more minutes. Now, im not in love with Pruitt, but I do think he provides some things we lack when eddie is in the game at the PG position. In his limited non-garbage time, he’s looked poised, kept his man in front of him, and been much more of a distributer than eddie is at the PG, along with nailing the open shot. He also allows eddie to roam off the ball, which is what he’s best at.

Now, last night we saw a bit of the rajon and a starter look, which is also something I want to see, and that might have contributed to doc not letting gabe follow up on his solid first stint. Even though rajon struggled mightily last night, the best period of bench play, which got us back into it at the end of the third was a lineup of rondo-house-pierce-leon-baby. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

But back to gabe, I am not advocating he play 15 minutes a night. But there are situations (the eddie-TA combo that does absolutely nothing for us when ray sits comes to mind) where I would like to see gabe play the point. If for nothing else, you need to, as the Celtics, let this kid sink or swim. If he sinks, fine, lets tag him as a trade/cuttable asset. If he continues to play well, also good, He’s a younger kid who can help out on nights rajon struggles or TA is having brain farts.

SO my point is pretty much, give gabe 4-8 a night doc an danny, and see what the two years of development has gotten us.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Gabe deserves a few minutes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Disclaimer: I know, I know, “If he deserved it, doc would play him, you don’t know what goes on behind the scenes!” all true, but bear with me.

If frustrates the hell out of me that Gabe continues to play pretty solid minutes, yet we reward chowder heads like tony with more minutes. Now, im not in love with Pruitt, but I do think he provides some things we lack when eddie is in the game at the PG position. In his limited non-garbage time, he’s looked poised, kept his man in front of him, and been much more of a distributer than eddie is at the PG, along with nailing the open shot. He also allows eddie to roam off the ball, which is what he’s best at.

Now, last night we saw a bit of the rajon and a starter look, which is also something I want to see, and that might have contributed to doc not letting gabe follow up on his solid first stint. Even though rajon struggled mightily last night, the best period of bench play, which got us back into it at the end of the third was a lineup of rondo-house-pierce-leon-baby. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

But back to gabe, I am not advocating he play 15 minutes a night. But there are situations (the eddie-TA combo that does absolutely nothing for us when ray sits comes to mind) where I would like to see gabe play the point. If for nothing else, you need to, as the Celtics, let this kid sink or swim. If he sinks, fine, lets tag him as a trade/cuttable asset. If he continues to play well, also good, He’s a younger kid who can help out on nights rajon struggles or TA is having brain farts.

SO my point is pretty much, give gabe 4-8 a night doc an danny, and see what the two years of development has gotten us.

i'm pretty sure the backcourt of Pruitt/House was used a couple of nights ago, in the 2nd quarter if im right. Gabe is being stirred in there. i think he's have a good solid spot come the all-star break.

i actually think that in the second half we're gonna go with cassell, then he's gonna shoot to much and lose us a couple games, then thats gonna remind us of how much we love Smilin' Gabe.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Deserves in the wrong word...but I absolutely think he should be in there.  If not because he deserves it, because Tony does NOT deserve it.  Last night the bench looked MUCH better having House at SG, and either Pruitt or Rondo at PG.  It just led to much more movement offensively, and I don't think they lost that much defensively.

In general, I think Doc really needs to start finding ways to get the starters more rest, and one of them should be mixing in some of the guys they have on the bench, whether it be Pruitt, Scal, Cassell or Walker (I still think POB will be a disaster defensively).

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If he deserved it, doc would play him, you don’t know what goes on behind the scenes!

I don't think this is all that true. In my opinion, Doc has shown that he'd pick a crappy vet over a talented inexperienced guy nine times out of ten. I understand this is a contending team and we need the vets, but even when we were losing it was evident. I don't think he realizes that players have to play to gain experience.  :P

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
If he deserved it, doc would play him, you don’t know what goes on behind the scenes!

I don't think this is all that true. In my opinion, Doc has shown that he'd pick a crappy vet over a talented inexperienced guy nine times out of ten. I understand this is a contending team and we need the vets, but even when we were losing it was evident. I don't think he realizes that players have to play to gain experience.  :P

That's what the DLeague is for.  No time for Mickey Mouse and friends in the big boys' league.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

That's what the DLeague is for.  No time for Mickey Mouse and friends in the big boys' league.

Exactly, like i said, i don't care if he sinks or swims, but 3 years is enough development time. Either the kid can play (which i suspect) or he can't. put him out there and see what he brings you.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:09:38 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson

Do you really think the D-league counts as NBA experience? You've said before scrub until proven otherwise. How exactly is he going to prove he's not a scrub without minutes?

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Do you really think the D-league counts as NBA experience? You've said before scrub until proven otherwise. How exactly is he going to prove he's not a scrub without minutes?

Practice.

I agree with Brick that it doesn't make sense to forcefeed kids minutes in meaningful games, just for them to prove themselves to the fans.  They can prove themselves to the coaches in practice, and the coaches are what matters.

With that said, I really hope Pruitt, or someone else earns some minutes soon, because something needs to be shaken up there, and the starters need to be getting more rest.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Practice.

I agree with Brick that it doesn't make sense to forcefeed kids minutes in meaningful games, just for them to prove themselves to the fans.  They can prove themselves to the coaches in practice, and the coaches are what matters.

With that said, I really hope Pruitt, or someone else earns some minutes soon, because something needs to be shaken up there, and the starters need to be getting more rest.

I just get fustrated that everytime gabe's in, most of the posters in the game thread agree that he had a good stint, then we never see him again, but Tony the human turnover machine still gets rewarded with horrable minutes.

TA must be a FANTASTIC practice player.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Practice.

I just get fustrated that everytime gabe's in, most of the posters in the game thread agree that he had a good stint, then we never see him again, but Tony the human turnover machine still gets rewarded with horrable minutes.

TA must be a FANTASTIC practice player.

Free Gabe pruitt (specially today)
We need him to be there
Even if we get another backup PG here
We need but need but need to develop a backup pg
who can cover Rondo when people plays againt his weakness, but i guess thats common knowledge...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson

Practice.

That's my entire point! I don't believe Doc will play young players regardless of how well they do in practice. With very few exceptions, Doc has only played young players when he was all out of options. If it was about practice I don't think players like Gomes, Powe, West, and Rondo would've taken so long to find minutes on his teams. Doc has an obvious preference towards vets.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 11:57:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Practice.

That's my entire point! I don't believe Doc will play young players regardless of how well they do in practice. With very few exceptions, Doc has only played young players when he was all out of options. If it was about practice I don't think players like Gomes, Powe, West, and Rondo would've taken so long to find minutes on his teams. Doc has an obvious preference towards vets.

I still think that Doc has waited with young players until they are both comfortable enough with the system, and in a situation where they can succeed.

As good as Pruitt has looked at times, he also has looked incredibly tentative.  To me, that is a red flag that he still is not mentally ready to contribute.

This is what Doc did with Gomes, Powe, and others.  Gomes especially.  He was given a shot early in his rookie year in the rotation, but he looked like a deer in headlights, and was terrible.  So he was then relegated to the bench for a while.  When he finally got another chance, he was a completely different player, and looked confident, and ready to succeed.

With Powe, he had no clue what he was doing defensively for the first year and a half he was there.  You could almost see him thinking about it as he was deciding where he was supposed to rotate.  But then all of a sudden, he seemed to "get it", and although he still wasn't great at the rotations (in fact he still struggles), the hesitations weren't there so much.  He was able to just play.

On the other hand, look at Big Baby, who picked up the defense incredibly quickly, and came in with tremendous confidence.  He was playing very quickly, because it was clear he was ready.

So while some take it as him simply hating playing young guys, I take it as him wanting to put the young guys in a position to succeed.  He clearly doesn't believe in throwing young guys into the deep end to see if they can swim.  That much is for sure.  But I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Practice.

I still think that Doc has waited with young players until they are both comfortable enough with the system, and in a situation where they can succeed.

As good as Pruitt has looked at times, he also has looked incredibly tentative.  To me, that is a red flag that he still is not mentally ready to contribute.

This is what Doc did with Gomes, Powe, and others.  Gomes especially.  He was given a shot early in his rookie year in the rotation, but he looked like a deer in headlights, and was terrible.  So he was then relegated to the bench for a while.  When he finally got another chance, he was a completely different player, and looked confident, and ready to succeed.

With Powe, he had no clue what he was doing defensively for the first year and a half he was there.  You could almost see him thinking about it as he was deciding where he was supposed to rotate.  But then all of a sudden, he seemed to "get it", and although he still wasn't great at the rotations (in fact he still struggles), the hesitations weren't there so much.  He was able to just play.

On the other hand, look at Big Baby, who picked up the defense incredibly quickly, and came in with tremendous confidence.  He was playing very quickly, because it was clear he was ready.

So while some take it as him simply hating playing young guys, I take it as him wanting to put the young guys in a position to succeed.  He clearly doesn't believe in throwing young guys into the deep end to see if they can swim.  That much is for sure.  But I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

I don't nessicarly think coddling young players to the detriment of the team is a good thing either. espically ones who have had 3 years to get ready.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »

Offline Vineet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think Gabe should get more minutes.  But perhaps not for the reasons listed so far.

The loss of Posey was thought to really effect the team defensively.  It seems, that that is not the case so far. It seem the intangibles are part of what is lost when he's not out there. 

The second team is not as intense without Pose and I'm not sure who can get them that fire they need. 

The other aspect, that gabe can help with, is that the second team doesn't seem to run good offense.  House is not a point gaurd and it seems clear he has a hard time getting the team into good sets. The result is that Pierce or Ray take the ball at the top of the key and have to make the offense go from there.  Not good.  I think Gabe, in the least could get our offense started much better and get guys in the spots they need to be.  What I also notice with the second team, is they don't know where they're going for offense.  Is it TA, or Powe, or PP or Ray when they're in.  A point gaurd is the key to this, House is not that. 

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I was just listening to this very subject on weei with Holley and D.Marshall discussing the lost last night,and Holley asked Donny why doesn't Doc play Gabe more.D.Marshall said he is as puzzled as the rest of the people.Donny said when Gabe is given a few minutes,he has always did something positive on the floor.I agree with D.Marshall on this,but it still leaves the question unanswered.