Author Topic: New 6th man:  (Read 6618 times)

Re: New 6th man:
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 10:05:31 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
The OP's idea is like a Ray Allen missed three pointer. Good idea, just off the mark.

If we had Bruce Bowen (Good defender that can knock down the three) instead of Tony Allen, we could move Pierce to the bench like San Antonio does with Manu. Pierce could carry the second unit better than Ray because he is a better creator.

Not sure I would move the captain yet - he is a heck of a defender himself - but it would certainly solve our bench scoring woes, while shaking things up.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rondo=driver
PP=driver
Ray=shooter to space floor

TA is a driver
doesn't work, i would second the POB for a measly 5 minutes a game as center

Pierce can drive, very very well, but he's not a driver. I'll have you know that Paul Pierce is 5th in active players for 3PTA, and the four guys ahead of him were all drafted at least 2 years earlier (Ray, JKidd, Peja Sto, and michael finley)

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
How about we bench.

House, TA, and Scalabrine, and play Pruitt, Giddens, and Walker.

Sure we'd have no experience, but at least we'd have actual talent on the bench.

Bench TA and Scal, sure.  House, no.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Rondo=driver
PP=driver

TA is a driver

Pierce can drive, very very well, but he's not a driver. I'll have you know that Paul Pierce is 5th in active players for 3PTA, and the four guys ahead of him were all drafted at least 2 years earlier (Ray, JKidd, Peja Sto, and michael finley)

Paul Pierce is shooting a better percentage from three than Ray Allen is this year.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:05 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I would agree with the OP if TA could play.  But it's a catch 22, b/c if TA could play we wouldn't be concerned about finding a 6th man. 

If the C's had a young 2 (like a Stuckey) then I could see this working.  Get the young guy to play w/the vets and put some experience or scoring on the bench.  But what would you think if you were RA and you were benched to play TA?  What has TA done this season that would lead you to believe that he should start?  Sure the bench needs more fire power and sure addition by subtraction can work, but this is not the way to do it.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:42 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Rondo=driver
PP=driver

TA is a driver

Pierce is a slasher. His entire career he's been a slasher, and a very good one at that. The last two years he's been getting jump shot happy, and this year it's killing his field goal percentage. It seems that his game is moving further away from the basket the older he gets.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
We have the best starting lineup in the league.  Hands down.  Why change it up?

Guys, its January for cripesakes!!  Teams are gonna lose a few games, guys are gonna become tired/sore and less motivated this time of year.  Lets pretend like we have been here before and quit with the 'cliff jump' type of reactions.

Our bench will be fine, I am fine with losing a couple more Reg season games due to overplaying our bench than to run our starters into the ground gunning for a 70 win season.  Doc is on point right now - just wait - he will get our guys to peak come playoff time when it matters.  January is when games matter the least, and the product on the floor right now reflects that.

I am NOT fine with losing a couple more reg season games.  A couple reg season games is looking like what will determine home court advantage in the playoffs or not.  Be naive if you please, but we very well might not have won the cleveland series last year without home court.  We need home court advantage in the playoffs, thus every regular season game matters.  Now we are 3rd in line for it behind cleveland and LA.

And there is a problem with our bench.  Many of them in fact:  Poor ball handling, little outside shooting, lack of height, mediocre defense, lack of scoring.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Rondo=driver
PP=driver

TA is a driver

Pierce is a slasher. His entire career he's been a slasher, and a very good one at that. The last two years he's been getting jump shot happy, and this year it's killing his field goal percentage. It seems that his game is moving further away from the basket the older he gets.

that is the general progression as guys age.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rondo=driver
PP=driver

TA is a driver

its also not really 100% true in this case, Paul pierce was in the top 10 for 3PA in 2000,2001,2002,2004,and 2005. He was also top 10 in 3-pointers made in 1998 but only 18th in attempts. the deep ball has always been a part of his game.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What is the Celtics record the past two seasons when Scali starts for KG? 

I say if it is better then the Celtics record when they start KG, KG goes to the bench and Scali starts.

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
His entire career he's been a slasher, and a very good one at that. The last two years he's been getting jump shot happy, and this year it's killing his field goal percentage. It seems that his game is moving further away from the basket the older he gets.

I think you're allowing something to cloud what you watch.

Pierce's shot selection:

Inside   Jumpers   FTAper36   3PA/FGA
08/09   28%       72%       7.2       0.28
07/08   28%       72%       6.1       0.33
06/07   26%       74%       8.3       0.32
05/06   36%       64%       9.5       0.21
04/05   30%       70%       8.1       0.24
03/04   23%       77%       7.3       0.26
02/03   30%       70%       8.8       0.25

Take out 2005/2006 (the team with Wally, Raef, West, Davis, Gomes taking an awful lot of outside jumpers, therefore stretching the floor a lot) and his shot selection is still pretty much the same of his entire career, the difference is certainly extremely small.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rondo=driver
PP=driver

TA is a driver

Yeah, but those other guys didn't play for years under the tutelage of one "just take the [dang] three already" Jim O'Brien.

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Rondo=driver
PP=driver

TA is a driver

its also not really 100% true in this case, Paul pierce was in the top 10 for 3PA in 2000,2001,2002,2004,and 2005. He was also top 10 in 3-pointers made in 1998 but only 18th in attempts. the deep ball has always been a part of his game.

Shooting is a secondary part of his game. The drive is his bread and butter. If Pierce isn't a slasher neither is Kobe, T-Mac, or Vince Carter.

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Well, I agree with the idea of making Ray Allen sixth man. But I seriously doubt it would ever happen, at least not this season.
Actually, although I haven't seen anyone mention it, he's cost us the last two games as much as anyone else. His shot, at least the three pointer, isn't falling- don't know if he's just tired or maybe hurt.
But to start TA? No freakin way! He's played himself out of any playing time IMO.
I may get reverse tp's for this, but I agree with whoever suggested Rondo and Eddie House starting, and Pruitt(or any true pg they may pick up) and Ray Allen off the bench.
Since we know none of this is going to happen, how about Pruitt as sixth man until he proves he can't do it. Plenty of time to find out before the playoffs.

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
What is the Celtics record the past two seasons when Scali starts for KG? 

I say if it is better then the Celtics record when they start KG, KG goes to the bench and Scali starts.
Now that is funny.  Not the comment in and of itself mind you, but how it so represents the craziness we all fall into when we panic and start to look to numbers for the answers like that idiot Kamlan on NBATV.  TP for what I am sure was a great use of sarcasm.