Author Topic: New 6th man:  (Read 6634 times)

New 6th man:
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:34:45 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'd like to try Ray coming off the bench, while putting TA in the starting lineup. TA's history is better as a starter, and Ray is capable to carrying the 2nd unit, especially coming in fresh when the other teams are begining to substitute for their starters.
For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing Gabe as the backup point, with Scal, Powe, and try POB at the 5! Think that unit is alot more balanced than what Doc is putting out there now, and worth a few game trial!
I know I'll get crucified for the POB part, but he has decent skills, if not the raw emotion. He'd give them some offense and shotblocking/rebounding. It's time to see if he can give us something, of for us to move on! Thoughts?

Re: New 6th man:
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
You really think the POB part is what you are going to get crucified for?  Well, I will just say I disagree with everything except trying Gabe as the backup PG, and leave it at that.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:43:43 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Rondo=driver
PP=driver
Ray=shooter to space floor

TA is a driver
doesn't work, i would second the POB for a measly 5 minutes a game as center

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone have a cross?

TA starting???????????????????????

Anyone have nails and a hammer, too?

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Anyone have a cross?

Are you inferring that you are a vampire, and we need to put you out of your misery before that happens?

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
You really think the POB part is what you are going to get crucified for?  Well, I will just say I disagree with everything except trying Gabe as the backup PG, and leave it at that.

What he said.

Among a myriad of other concerns, it's hard to imagine TA in the starting lineup would help our league-worst turnover problem.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
A) Tony shouldn't be playing much less starting

B) from what I've seen, Ray does not play all that well with the second unit. When he has to create his own shot, he appears to forse his game too much.

C) Look at A again

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:11:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone have a cross?

Are you inferring that you are a vampire, and we need to put you out of your misery before that happens?
No, I was just looking for a little help in crucifying the OP. ;) ;D

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Anyone have a cross?

No, I was just looking for a little help in crucifying the OP. ;) ;D

Ah right.  I should have figured it out with nails, rather than wooden stake. 

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
If Ray were to come off the bench I'd prefer Eddie be the starting 2 and Gabe play the point on the bench. On the bright side Doc's rotation schemes may be catching on  ;D. I'm pretty sure the Hawks had an all bench unit in their last game in non-garbage time. I'm hoping more teams do this to make things easier for our bench.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
If Ray were to come off the bench I'd prefer Eddie be the starting 2 and Gabe play the point on the bench. On the bright side Doc's rotation schemes may be catching on  ;D. I'm pretty sure the Hawks had an all bench unit in their last game in non-garbage time. I'm hoping more teams do this to make things easier for our bench.

how about
rondo, House, T.Allen, Garnett and Perk
and
Pierce and Allen coming off the bench, with POB, Pruitt and Powe?

I am really not sure if i am talking serious here but may work....
Of course that starting lineup can play together maybe 5 minutes a game

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
Wow, an overwhelming positive response! ;D 
My idea was to find a way to get some firepower on to the 2nd unit, to get that spark off the bench that we clearly don't have now. Let's face it, until last year, Ray WAS the Sonics! As PP WAS the C's. Just no supporting cast for either. I think either of them could do it with our second team, I just couldn't see PP accepting that, or even us wanting that, but it would save Ray's legs and give him an advantage over the other teams reserves, being fresh on top of it!
As bad as Tony has been playing so far, stats don't lie that he's always been far more efficient as a starter. Doc has more than once admitted that, but that he'd have to step up and be better off the bench this year. He clearly hasn't.
I'm also not suggesting a permanant change, but two or three games to see how it works might be reasonable-----especially if we lay another big egg tonite in Charlotte!

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 06:08:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We have the best starting lineup in the league.  Hands down.  Why change it up?

Guys, its January for cripesakes!!  Teams are gonna lose a few games, guys are gonna become tired/sore and less motivated this time of year.  Lets pretend like we have been here before and quit with the 'cliff jump' type of reactions.

Our bench will be fine, I am fine with losing a couple more Reg season games due to overplaying our bench than to run our starters into the ground gunning for a 70 win season.  Doc is on point right now - just wait - he will get our guys to peak come playoff time when it matters.  January is when games matter the least, and the product on the floor right now reflects that.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 06:17:03 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
Wouldn't feel very comfortable without home court advantage against Cavs, Hawks and couple of others! That's why Doc's between rock and hardplace---trying to rest his starters, but having a bench that's just not getting it done! Posey loss looming larger and larger!

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
How about we bench.

House, TA, and Scalabrine, and play Pruitt, Giddens, and Walker.

Sure we'd have no experience, but at least we'd have actual talent on the bench.