Author Topic: Its time for Danny to build around Tatum/Brown  (Read 6920 times)

Its time for Danny to build around Tatum/Brown
« on: September 26, 2020, 10:04:55 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 371
while we can partly blame dannys inaction last offseason on the loss of Kyrie/Horford, I think we rightly need to blame him for not doing anything at the trade deadline.

Maybe Danny thought they werent "quite there" to cash in his assets. But the fact that we are back in the ECF shows that the time is now for Danny to put good support around these guys rather than just hoarding his picks and picking up rookies who sit on the bench

I think we have something like 3 first round picks this year. There is no way danny can add 3 rookies to this roster.  Either danny needs to package them and move up to get a guy he likes(instead of being scared to move up and take Herro who he supposedly liked last year) or use them to add veterans who can complement Tatum/brown

Re: Its time for Danny to build around Tatum/Brown
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 12:10:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
while we can partly blame dannys inaction last offseason on the loss of Kyrie/Horford, I think we rightly need to blame him for not doing anything at the trade deadline.

Maybe Danny thought they werent "quite there" to cash in his assets. But the fact that we are back in the ECF shows that the time is now for Danny to put good support around these guys rather than just hoarding his picks and picking up rookies who sit on the bench

I think we have something like 3 first round picks this year. There is no way danny can add 3 rookies to this roster.  Either danny needs to package them and move up to get a guy he likes(instead of being scared to move up and take Herro who he supposedly liked last year) or use them to add veterans who can complement Tatum/brown

yes and no

If they can trade up for Okongwu ,I would package the picks to move up

Otherwise at 14, 26, 30... Danny will have many options to improve/add help to the lineup next season (and for the future)

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I agree that Brown/Tatum is the building block for the Celtics.
After missing out on the Anthony Davis-sweepstakes that's clearly the route to go now.

And this team is close to be winning 'now'. But since Brown and Tatum are quite young, you can also make the case that steadily building/developing through the draft is also a good option.

The core right now is Walker/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Theis, but maybe in 3 years a core of Smart/Langford/Brown/Tatum/Timelord + drafted player(s)/traded player could be even better?

I was in favour of trading picks/rookies for experienced role players, but to be honest the production Walker has given (unfortunately perhaps injury related) could be replaced right now by the likes of say Rose/Dragic/Schroder.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Agreed that Tatum and Brown need to be the cornerstones.

That said, everyone on the roster needs to be assessed in terms of how they help maximize these 2 guys. I get a lot of flak for wanting to trade Hayward. It’s not that Hayward is a bad player or that he’s a terrible fit on this roster. But I see a guy like Smart and think “that player fits really well” because he guards, he passes, and he does the dirty work (something stars don’t usually like doing).

If you were starting your franchise with Tatum and Brown, what other types of players would you plug in around them?
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 01:44:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I wouldn't say Hayward is a bad fit. Brown and Tatum are definitely better with Hayward. But Hayward is over paid right now and probably won't resign cheap enough.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 02:05:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
If you were starting your franchise with Tatum and Brown, what other types of players would you plug in around them?
A knockdown shooter at SG would fit great with Tatum and Jaylen at the forward slots. Someone who shots with both accuracy and high volume from 3. Someone like Buddy Hield or Herro. That type of an offensive threat. That would be great alongside Tatum, Jaylen and Kemba. Open up the offense more. Give everyone more space to operate.

A more dynamic starting big man would also be a great option.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
I wouldn't say Hayward is a bad fit. Brown and Tatum are definitely better with Hayward. But Hayward is over paid right now and probably won't resign cheap enough.

Any way the C's can flip him for a solid starting big who can actually score/defend/rebound, and a critical bench piece?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2717
A knockdown shooter at SG would fit great with Tatum and Jaylen at the forward slots. Someone who shots with both accuracy and high volume from 3. Someone like Buddy Hield or Herro. That type of an offensive threat. That would be great alongside Tatum, Jaylen and Kemba. Open up the offense more. Give everyone more space to operate.

Herro would have been perfect, which is why Ainge slammed the table when the Heat took him a pick before us. If we had him right now we'd be preparing to destroy the Lakers and build a dynasty.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 02:24:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I think he has? How would one do that?

1. As they are developing, you want to stay competitive, which means you want a primary shot-creator that can stir the offense to help Tatum and Brown get easy buckets in the half-court. But you'd also want a guy who was unselfish and willing to take the back seat when they develop. Thank-you Kemba.
2. You would want another flexible wing to rotate with them so you can consistently run the same offense. Preferably someone who is a solid all-around player, can create his own shot at times, but can also play off others. Thank-you Gordon.
3. You would want a great screener and DHO big man who can also hold his own on defense, but you don't want a guy to take away that much from Brown and Tatum. Thank-you Daniel.
4. You would also want a great defender to take some pressure off Brown and Tatum. Thank-you Marcus.

This team is already built for Tatum and Brown. No doubt, we could use a little more depth, or for Williams and Williams to be able to contribute a little more, but this team is built for our young wings.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »

• Paul Silas
Any way the C's can flip him for a solid starting big who can actually score/defend/rebound, and a critical bench piece?

Theis has been good on def. He's averaging over 10 rpg in the playoffs. He had like 15 points last night. He is the definition of a solid starting big man.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
One of my dreams is Daniel Theis as the Celtic's back up center coming off the bench as 7th guy or so.

A solid "big" big up front would be great. He doesn't need to be a big scorer just a good defender/passer who can hit free throws and help the Team's three all star scorers and let Theis come off the bench.

With this addition the Celtic's bench just got 50% better as Theis knows how to play and won't be matched up as much with top NBA centers.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 02:36:09 PM »

• Paul Silas

I really wonder if Joe Harris or Davis Bertans will be a target of Ainge. With Tatum's increased playmaking skills, putting elite shooters or finishers around him would vault the offense to another level. Joe Harris was on Team USA with Walker-Brown-Tatum. In fact, he carved out a nice role ahead of other guys that most experts thought were automatics for playing time. He's not a great defender, but he does play hard and he is an intelligent team defender.

Davis Bertans is a big forward, but he came off screens for the last several years in Washington and San Antonio. He has a little more versatility on defense than Harris, but I don't think his defensive or offensive IQ is quite as good as Harris.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491

1. As they are developing, you want to stay competitive, which means you want a primary shot-creator that can stir the offense to help Tatum and Brown get easy buckets in the half-court. But you'd also want a guy who was unselfish and willing to take the back seat when they develop. Thank-you Kemba.
2. You would want another flexible wing to rotate with them so you can consistently run the same offense. Preferably someone who is a solid all-around player, can create his own shot at times, but can also play off others. Thank-you Gordon.
3. You would want a great screener and DHO big man who can also hold his own on defense, but you don't want a guy to take away that much from Brown and Tatum. Thank-you Daniel.
4. You would also want a great defender to take some pressure off Brown and Tatum. Thank-you Marcus.

This team is already built for Tatum and Brown. No doubt, we could use a little more depth, or for Williams and Williams to be able to contribute a little more, but this team is built for our young wings.

This is a pretty good analysis.  We already have a lot in place to support the Js.  We just need to get Gordon back in shape. 

A wing shooter off the bench would be nice, kind of to replace Semi's minutes during the year and give us some more scoring punch in the playoffs than Semi.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I generally agree that we kind of already are. It's hard to see that with us spending $66-68M/yr on Kemba and Hayward, but luckily we currently have that luxury. That will not be the case in the future when that money is going to Jaylen and Jayson, so we will need to find cheaper versions of Kemba/Hayward; or we will need them to take a massive pay cut. Kemba is taking a lot of flack right now, but he was an all-star starter just this season. We can compete for a Title right now if this team plays to its capabilities.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This is a pretty good analysis.  We already have a lot in place to support the Js.  We just need to get Gordon back in shape. 

A wing shooter off the bench would be nice, kind of to replace Semi's minutes during the year and give us some more scoring punch in the playoffs than Semi.

Both would be awesome, but we don’t have any realistic means of acquiring them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes