Author Topic: Thread for CBers to debate merits of female CBers wanting to talk to each other  (Read 13211 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
On the Internet, no one knows I'm a dog with excellent paw dexterity, and I prefer to keep it that way.

;D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
On the Internet, no one knows I'm a dog with excellent paw dexterity, and I prefer to keep it that way.

;) ;) ;)

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Now that I read it, I was disappointed that there really wasn't any drama, and there were only a few girls.  Both downers.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
II think most people like the idea that a person's contribution (in whatever context) should be based on its merit and not on what a person's race, gender, age, nationality, religion, hair color, height, weight, etc. is.   Yet most of us would probably accept the notion that each of us has biases (conscious or sub-conscious) that influence how we perceive or judge another's contributions. 

I think that one of the interesting phenomena associated with the relative anonymity that occurs in this type of communication forum is that we aren't as influenced by potential biases because we can't see or hear the people we are talking with.  This allows for a different kind of communication freedom yet also can be restrictive in that you can't see or hear me -- you can't see/hear the non-verbal communications that occur through body language, facial expressions, tone, and voice inflection. My communications are also impacted by my ability (or inability) to express in writing what I otherwise might be able to do more effectively verbally and in person.

There is something I like and something I don't like about not knowing a lot about the person I'm communicating with.  Personalizing the experience is a choice that people have -- some here are very open about aspects of their life, and some never provide any personal information. I hope that regardless of what is personally revealed by people that this information would have absolutely no impact on how I would perceive what is written by them.  However, if truthful to myself, I know that the more I know (or the more I think I know) about a person the more I filter that knowledge into how I perceive what they are communicating to me.   This isn't what I want it to be, but nonetheless it is what happens.  As an example, when I know that I am reading a post by a woman or a teenager, there is a filter somewhere in my brain that assesses the post based on perceptions I have about female sports fans or young sports fans.  The quality of the post is then (mostly sub-conscously) assessed for how well it fits into my stereotypic views -- I am open to information that belies a stereoptype but unfortunately I am also open to information that reinforces a stereotype. It is a sad but embedded reality of how people (or at least I) organize thoughts.   I do believe that as long as I am open to exploring and learning about my own biases and am conscious enough of them to resist having them impact my behavior (especially if it leads to anything discriminatory), that it is generally OK -- though not ideal, as I wish I could be completely unbiased.

I don't think that I will ever be able to judge people solely on the content of their character or the merit of their argument -- because I am influenced to some extent by my perceptions of who the person is, often based on inaccurate data and invalid conclusions.  The more we know about the people we communicate with here, the more likely we are to use that information to filter their comments through the own biases and stereotypes. 
There is something uniquely pure about knowing very little about those I am communicating with in this blog. Yet at the same time, finding common ground with others in ways that create comfort remains a hallmark principle of community. 

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is silly.  I'm the one who made the "Can we merge this with the online dating thread" comment.  Whatever.

I really don't care who any of you people are.  I said a long time ago that I rarely remembered anyone from one conversation to another.  You're all just walls of text to me.  The only person I remembered from one thread to another was Roy.  And recently, I learned the names of BBallTim and Celtics18 mainly because I kept seeing a pattern.  But even that I think is unfortunate, because now I have a bias every time one of those guys makes a point.  I'd rather just consider their observation/opinion without having preconceived notions of who is behind the comment. 

But really... I don't think it matters who you are behind the text.  Age/sex/race/etc.  If anything, it will just give people a bias.  And a thread like this just feels like Internet White Knighting to me.  Standing up for the poor girls who were harmed by a stupid joke.   Bad direction to go.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Btw, can we use this thread to make the rest of our jokes?  Because I had SOOO many I wanted to make.

Here's one, for instance:

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If you don't want to consider someone as anything other than "text" that's great. I don't get the rush to declare so loudly when someone identifies themselves further, or joke about the matter.

I also don't see the need to hijack the thread to take a shot at two other posters.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This thread and how this all has unfolded is just so predictable and why forums make me laugh (in a good way...? maybe?).
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
This is silly.  I'm the one who made the "Can we merge this with the online dating thread" comment.  Whatever.

I really don't care who any of you people are.  I said a long time ago that I rarely remembered anyone from one conversation to another.  You're all just walls of text to me.  The only person I remembered from one thread to another was Roy.  And recently, I learned the names of BBallTim and Celtics18 mainly because I kept seeing a pattern.  But even that I think is unfortunate, because now I have a bias every time one of those guys makes a point.  I'd rather just consider their observation/opinion without having preconceived notions of who is behind the comment. 

But really... I don't think it matters who you are behind the text.  Age/sex/race/etc.  If anything, it will just give people a bias.  And a thread like this just feels like Internet White Knighting to me.  Standing up for the poor girls who were harmed by a stupid joke.   Bad direction to go.

You're an interesting cat.  I guess I'll just fade back into the wall of text and white noise and maybe women or actual people writing posts.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

You're an interesting cat.  I guess I'll just fade back into the wall of text and white noise and maybe women or actual people writing posts.

Ahahahha. Ahhhahahahha. This is hilarious. hahaa. Legit laugh out loud.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Ahahahha. Ahhhahahahha. This is hilarious. hahaa. Legit laugh out loud.

FWIW, I'm still comfortable admitting that I think Brittney Griner would fail an Olympic regulated gender test.

See.  I walk the talk.  I'm not going to let the shifting demographic of CB posters censor my nuttery.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

You are the first I've seen mention poor girls or the harm done to them by a joke.  I think people on this thread were speaking for themselves -- that they didn't like the joke and didn't like the harm done to the thread. I agree that no one here needs a white knight to stand up for them.  It's just that I don't think anyone was doing that.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I just really don't understand how a thread that was obviously intended as nothing more that a sort of "meet and greet" for the ladies of CBlog turned into two separate threads of bickering.

Would it have really been so difficult to keep your .02 to yourself in that thread if you weren't a woman?  Or do some people just love to "hear themselves talk"? Just because you have a valid point doesn't require you to actually share it, if sharing it detracts from the overall premise of the thread.

But this is all I'm going say about the topic.  Don't see the point in getting caught up in a "debate" when there shouldn't be one.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

You are the first I've seen mention poor girls or the harm done to them by a joke.  I think people on this thread were speaking for themselves -- that they didn't like the joke and didn't like the harm done to the thread. I agree that no one here needs a white knight to stand up for them.  It's just that I don't think anyone was doing that.
I'm just kidding around.  I don't know why it had to be such a serious thing.   There's threads on here about "What do you do for a living?", "how old are you?" or "Where are you from?".  I guess those don't invite as many jokes.  Oh well. 

I do think female posters on sports forums are kind of rare.  Interesting to see there's a few here.  I just assumed everyone here looked like Patton Oswalt.  Now I'll just assume they all look like Patton Oswalt in a wig.  If someone posted a thread, "Where are my fellow geriatrics?" it probably would have had a couple light-hearted jokes too.

TIL:  Celticsblog is made up primarily of elderly women. 

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Or do some people just love to "hear themselves talk"?

"I really don't care who any of you people are.  I said a long time ago that I rarely remembered anyone from one conversation to another."