Author Topic: For which big(s) do you want to trade either Brown, Tatum or Hayward?  (Read 12136 times)

Re: For which big(s) do you want to trade either Brown, Tatum or Hayward?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:19 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
There really is a logjam though. Tatum can’t play the 4 and neither can Hayward. Originally, I was thinking a 5 would be great to pair with Horford but with him leaving too, I’d take either of the 4 or 5 to fill up his position.

I don’t know who’s available. With the whole youth movement, it would make the most sense to move Hayward now.
- LilRip

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Hard to find a trade that works.

There are great big men. Then good big men. Nothing in between.

Jaylen not good enough to get a great one. Too good to give up for a only a good one.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The Celtics have an unbalanced roster. We have a lot of guards and wings, and hardly any proven bigs. Another imbalance is that we have an All Star (Walker), but other potential All Stars are still really young.

It's not my original idea (https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1875504&start=40), but trading Hayward + assets for Blake Griffin makes sense for both the Celtics and the Pistons. The Celtics try to contend and the Pistons start a rebuild around Langford, Kennard, Doumbouya etc, since Rose/Griffin/Drummond won't bring them any further than an early playoff-exit.

With Kemba Walker (26/4/6) and Blake Griffin (25/8/5) we'd have 2 All Stars in their primes. Alongside that, Brown and Tatum are at least above average starters.

Isn't that much better than hoping that Brown and Tatum will become perennial All Stars and other youngsters like Edwards, Langford, Grant Williams or Robert Williams can become starters at the level of Brown and Tatum?

I want to shift the focus towards winning instead of developing rookies, and those two things generally don't go hand-in-hand.

My proposal would be as follows (trying to keep the Memphis pick):

To Boston: Blake Griffin
To Detroit: Gordon Hayward, Romeo Langford, '20 Milwaukee 1st, '21 Boston 1st

If Hayward returns to his former self than the Pistons win the trade, though it's not really about winning the trade. Griffin is just a much better fit for us. It would be a sad ending for Hayward in Boston, but on the other hand it can be a fresh start for him.

Our new rotation:

Walker/Edwards
Brown/Smart
Tatum/Ojeleye
Griffin/Theis or G.Williams
Poirier or Timelord/Kanter

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Hard to find a trade that works.

There are great big men. Then good big men. Nothing in between.

Jaylen not good enough to get a great one. Too good to give up for a only a good one.

I’m hoping Tatum can add some weight/strength to handle PF more if Hayward can’t handle PF.  Maybe at least for now that will work.  Hayward is almost 30, so maybe a couple years down the line if he remains a 6th man role will be better suited for him.  How close Hayward can come to his old form will have a lot to do with all this.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pf bulked up tatum
Sf hayward
SgBrown

Whats the problem?

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Celtics have an unbalanced roster. We have a lot of guards and wings, and hardly any proven bigs. Another imbalance is that we have an All Star (Walker), but other potential All Stars are still really young.

It's not my original idea (https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1875504&start=40), but trading Hayward + assets for Blake Griffin makes sense for both the Celtics and the Pistons. The Celtics try to contend and the Pistons start a rebuild around Langford, Kennard, Doumbouya etc, since Rose/Griffin/Drummond won't bring them any further than an early playoff-exit.

With Kemba Walker (26/4/6) and Blake Griffin (25/8/5) we'd have 2 All Stars in their primes. Alongside that, Brown and Tatum are at least above average starters.

Isn't that much better than hoping that Brown and Tatum will become perennial All Stars and other youngsters like Edwards, Langford, Grant Williams or Robert Williams can become starters at the level of Brown and Tatum?

I want to shift the focus towards winning instead of developing rookies, and those two things generally don't go hand-in-hand.

My proposal would be as follows (trying to keep the Memphis pick):

To Boston: Blake Griffin
To Detroit: Gordon Hayward, Romeo Langford, '20 Milwaukee 1st, '21 Boston 1st

If Hayward returns to his former self than the Pistons win the trade, though it's not really about winning the trade. Griffin is just a much better fit for us. It would be a sad ending for Hayward in Boston, but on the other hand it can be a fresh start for him.

Our new rotation:

Walker/Edwards
Brown/Smart
Tatum/Ojeleye
Griffin/Theis or G.Williams
Poirier or Timelord/Kanter

Great idea...

It's a plausible trade (although I have a strong inclination toward GH playing up to his contract, which would make this an overpay eventually).

If things don't go well this season, this is a great trade because Blake would be an excellent fit if Hayward/Tatum/Smart can't effectively guard the 4s (or overwhelm them on offense). Ideally, Blake will be "unlocked" as a small ball 5 and holding onto a 2016-17 level Gordon would be a return to Championship contention, but due to salary issues it'd be tough to make it work without him or another integral part of the team.

I think Gordon will get a long look this season and, unless he's done as an All Star caliber, he will be given the chance to finish the season out here.

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 07:45:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't want to trade anyone. I want to use all of our draft picks and develop our team into a title contender. After this Kyrie/AD stuff, I'm now firmly in the camp of doing things the Spurs way. Draft well, build a team of individuals that like playing together and become incrementally better each year. Forget this notion that every year needs to have a big 5 and title or bust. The titles will come on their own.

Yup.....no need to acquire all-star talent. The titles are just going to show up on the Celtics doorstep.

Re: For which bigs would you trade Jaylen Brown?
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 07:49:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I feel Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward are all SFs.

Of the 3, Jaylen is the one best able to play a second position - at SG. I don't know why Jaylen should be the odd one out.

Agreed. I'd even argue that he would be the best suited of the three to play the 4 spot too. He's the strongest guy of the three, and he knows how to defend post ups very well. Hayward really can't shift to guard full time either, so the point is largely moot.

This is only an issue because both Hayward and Tatum are really only small forwards and aren't well suited to moving up or down a weight class, at least until Tatum fills out. If Brown leaves, the problem remains. Its a one year issue. Hayward has only two years on his deal and will be quite easy to move next year. We might as well see if Stevens can figure it out.

And he's also only 6'7.

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 07:54:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Just a hunch but I think Brown and Gordo stay and Tatum is used to acquire a big man.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Hayward to Indy for Turner and matching salary

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Tatum for Sabonis could work as well.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 09:31:28 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
What is this obsession with trading these guys? Can we leave the team alone for a season to develop together without a trade rumor hanging over them ? I do not want to trade any of our big-3 wings. They may well be our future and the cornerstone of a few title teams. Yes, we need an athletic post player who can defend and rebound, but not this way. Hopefully, Robert Williams develops. If that guy becomes a quality starter, we are in business. Still need that knock-down shooter.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 09:42:26 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I would trade Tatum and Brown for Wiggins and Towns.  They would make us take that Wiggins contract....  But the numbers would not work.   

Kemba
Wiggins
Hayward
Towns
Williams  or Thesis

Bench of Smart/Edwards/Williams/Semi and Kanter
Diggles

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 09:48:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
What is this obsession with trading these guys? Can we leave the team alone for a season to develop together without a trade rumor hanging over them ? I do not want to trade any of our big-3 wings. They may well be our future and the cornerstone of a few title teams. Yes, we need an athletic post player who can defend and rebound, but not this way. Hopefully, Robert Williams develops. If that guy becomes a quality starter, we are in business. Still need that knock-down shooter.

Because we have too many small forwards and this positionless basketball is for the birds.

Re: For which bigs would you trade Jaylen Brown?
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 09:50:27 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I feel Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward are all SFs.

Of the 3, Jaylen is the one best able to play a second position - at SG. I don't know why Jaylen should be the odd one out.
Yep, couldn't agree more.

I guess people are gonna hate this, but I'd consider a deal around Tatum and Jaren Jackson Jr.

- amazing young talent (in all honesty, I'd take him over Tatum)
- legit size for a PF (we have no legit PF right now, except maybe Theis)
- one extra year on a team friendly contact

Not sure whether the Grizzlies would go for it. They'd probably ask for their pick back as well. Not sure I'd be willing to go that far.

Tatum for Sabonis could work as well.
The Pacers would do it in a heartbeat. No way would the C's do it. That's a massive overpay on our part.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:34:40 AM by Jvalin »