Poll

Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggings?

Andrew Wiggings
20 (27%)
KD
31 (41.9%)
Other
23 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Poll - Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggins?  (Read 13463 times)

Re: Poll - Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggins?
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I get it is 1 game, but I was afraid of this happening without Tatum.  He is BY FAR the most important player to Boston's success this year (by virtually every metric that accounts for the scoreboard in some way).  The team is absolutely horrid at PF without him (and given he is best as a SF, it is a real roster flaw).  Tatum needs to play or Boston has real issues.   

We dont have a true superstar. So anytime 2 of our all star caliber players has an off game, its trouble for us. Doesnt help that aside from kanter who cannot really create on his own, we dont have anyone who can share the load from the bench.
Oh I know we don't have a true superstar, but it isn't like we played the Clippers, Bucks, or Lakers.  It was the Pistons.  Tatum's absence was huge in the game and will continue to be huge every game he misses.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Overreaction.  We’ve lost games like this with Tatum.  Losing without him was nothing but a coincidence.

I certainly missed his play on the court and you can bet his team mates and CBS did as well.  If memory serves, did Gorman say something to the effect that we lost more when Tatum was out and the whole team was not resting.

I find the game hard to watch at times without, and I never realized that until last night.   Still we played bad across the board.  I think teams packed in on us when Smart and Grant were in the game at the same time and it hurt our spacing.

Hayward was hot as hell and CBS rested him just as we were closing the gap.   Sometimes I feel we coach ourselves out of the games by over thinking.

I like Tatum's defense, but don't think Tatum was going to simultaneously guard Derrick Rose, Doumbouya, Markieff Morris, and that white guy all game.  I don't think his absence was the lone factor in us losing.  Detroit played very well and didn't miss.
He didn't need to guard all of those guys though.  The game was lost in the 3rd quarter after Boston went up 71-67 and then on the next 7 possessions the team had 2 turnovers, 1 layup, and 4 missed shots to go down 6.  They needed Tatum on offense to right the ship.

Defensively, Tatum would have made a huge difference as well as he would have allowed Boston to have better size across the board.  Swapping out Smart for Tatum would have eliminated much of Detroit's size advantage (well not Rose, he was always going to be guarded by Walker), but Doumbouya, Morris, and Mykhailiuk are 6'7" or 6'8".  The team needed Tatum to take one of them, lessening the size advantage they held on Brown, Hayward, and Smart. 

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Size advantage?  Hayward and Brown are 6’8 and 6’7 respectively.

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2020, 01:43:56 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jayson Tatum certainly looked like he's closer to KD against the Lakers.

Looks like Tatum will be playing in the All-Star game in Chicago.

Jayson Tatum Has Crossed the Threshold into NBA Stardom
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872352-jayson-tatum-has-crossed-the-threshold-into-nba-stardom

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2020, 01:45:40 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Size advantage?  Hayward and Brown are 6’8 and 6’7 respectively.

Their real height, according to the latest NBA measurements, Hayward is 6-7 while Jaylen is 6-6.

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2020, 02:03:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872352-jayson-tatum-has-crossed-the-threshold-into-nba-stardom
Still a mix of Paul George and Paul Pierce to me.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2020, 07:12:14 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Absolutely nothing wrong if he's a mix of Pierce and George.

I think Tatum will be really closer to KD once he starts knocking down those pull up jumpers on a regular basis.

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2020, 09:09:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He doesn't really play like Paul George though.  Similar talent level, but I just don't see them as playing the game the same way stylistically. 

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2020, 09:24:22 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

His shot selection still bugs the hell out of me.  Hate the dribble dribble dribble step back.  Anybody can get that shot and it’s not a good one.  Until Tatum can actually defeat a (supposed) mismatch consistently by driving by his man, I’ll hold off on anointing him.  Needs to be able to get easier shots so he can be consistent.

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2020, 09:34:48 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This game against the Lakers was a vivid demonstration of the idea behind the 3-wing lineup.

14 of Jayson's points were scored while guarded by either the much shorter KCP or the much slower Dwight.  Lebron focused mainly on Hayward and Danny Green focused mainly on Jaylen.

The point of the lineup is that one of Jayson, Jaylen or Gordon is usually going to be able to get a mismatch against most lineups, because very few opponent rosters are able to put 3 good wing defenders on the floor at the same time.   When we are fully healthy, this is a powerful advantage.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Tatum will always be a fine NBA scorer. However shooting percentage may be his achilles heel throughout his career.

My problem with Jayson is that he's a black hole. He doesn't even look the floor over before he gets into his one on one posture. The second he gets his hands on the ball the team stops moving and watches Jayson. When he struggles so does everyone else. I'm hoping Jayson can eventually learn how to make a team better by getting others involved. (like LeBron and the other greats)  Last night against the Lakers the ball was moving well, hence the high team assist total. 

Right now this Celtic team plays fine when they're clicking and ahead on the scoreboard, but horrible poor when they fall behind by double digits, resorting to one on one ball to makeup a deficit.   

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum will always be a fine NBA scorer. However shooting percentage may be his achilles heel throughout his career.

My problem with Jayson is that he's a black hole. He doesn't even look the floor over before he gets into his one on one posture. The second he gets his hands on the ball the team stops moving and watches Jayson. When he struggles so does everyone else. I'm hoping Jayson can eventually learn how to make a team better by getting others involved. (like LeBron and the other greats)  Last night against the Lakers the ball was moving well, hence the high team assist total. 

Right now this Celtic team plays fine when they're clicking and ahead on the scoreboard, but horrible poor when they fall behind by double digits, resorting to one on one ball to makeup a deficit.
The team was actually very good at coming back from double digits deficits until the last couple weeks, when they haven't been. I think you are having a bit of recency bias in that particular aspect of your assessment of the team.

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Tatum may not be Durant, and let's face it, who is? KD's probably the 2nd best player of his generation, and the best offensive forward in the league for much of his career.

Yes, he goes into Kobe Bryant mode sometimes, and I get frustrated by bad shots as much as anyone, but IMO, he's an all-nba caliber talent, Ainge is never going to trade him. Much of our inconsistency as a team lies at the feet of Tatum's (and Jaylen's) inconsistency, but that's something we're going to have to live with til they're mature NBA players. And unless you're a transcendent mega star like Lebron, you aren't at that point at age 21.

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16

Lets be honest here.  This is just not true. Tatum has increased his assists each year, averaging 2.8/game.  This is very similar to the career path of Paul George.  At 21 (3rd year)George averaged 17.4 pts, 7.6 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 6 3pa/gm at 36%.  Tatum is ahead on pts and 3p%, about even with rebounds, 3p% and D, and slightly behind on assists.  He is doing all of this with a 5 headed monster that is the C's core "sharing" the load(this is good and bad).  If he can add a little more muscle to help finish at the rim I bet he adds another 6 pts and 2 rebounds/game, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets to 4-5 assists /game as well.  He is young, still refining his game and body, and even now I would not classify him as a black hole. He has room to grow, but isn't bad as is.

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2020, 12:06:07 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

His shot selection still bugs the hell out of me.  Hate the dribble dribble dribble step back.  Anybody can get that shot and it’s not a good one.  Until Tatum can actually defeat a (supposed) mismatch consistently by driving by his man, I’ll hold off on anointing him.  Needs to be able to get easier shots so he can be consistent.

Tatum lacks strength, he still has the body of a college kid.

That's why his tendency is to resort to the step back jumper.

Once his body fully develops, he will be able to play bully-ball against smaller defenders.