Author Topic: ESPN is dying right?  (Read 4320 times)

ESPN is dying right?
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
With all the firings and no good shows it seems to me this network is in critical condition. Has there ever been a network that just died?

Re: ESPN is dying right?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Yes of course. However, I don't think ESPN will "die" per se, they just will likely not have a monopoly on the sports entertainment industry moving forward.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline WMark

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
If ESPN were to file for bankruptcy protection and the Court were to void the contract ESPN has with the NBA, I wonder what the ripple effect would be.  Would the owners be responsible for paying the salaries that were determined based upon the declared salary cap or is there a protection included in the CBA that lowers the salary cap should ESPN be declared insolvent?

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Is there a good article addressing ESPN's financial difficulties and its impact on professional sports revenue?

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 12:05:20 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
It's not ESPN that's dying, it's the current pay TV business model that's dying. The latest stats show that 1 in 5 households have dumped cable. The TV revenue model is based on advertising, which now commands less dollars due to smaller reach. It's very similar to what happened to the newspaper industry a decade ago.

Sports programming still offers the greatest return on television, but when switching to a digital/over the top experience, networks get barely 10% of the same ad revenues. And most sports leagues have maintained ownership rights to their digital transmissions. (The NFL and Amazon this year, et al). The networks have to cut costs and talent is where it begins.

ESPN will survive due to the exclusive rights deals on sports, but they just won't make as much. And they're banking on the viewers not caring about a 45-second update from Ed Werder, Chad Ford or Jayson Stark. The biggest impact will be on ESPN.com, as spending $40 for their insider content took the biggest hit, but that's a small revenue stream for a large company that is most likely a loss leader.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 12:10:17 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Is there a good article addressing ESPN's financial difficulties and its impact on professional sports revenue?

Not much, as ESPN's financial numbers are part of the larger Disney/ABC media network. But having worked in that division for 8+ years, I would venture to guess that ESPN is still profitable but just not providing revenue at the projected returns. Disney cares about shareholder return and profitability margins, with their Media networks driving 3x that of theme parks and 5x that of theatrical movie releases. Those revenues consist of ad sales dollars, carriage fees from providers and syndication/program sales of content globally.

Hope this helps

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Not much, as ESPN's financial numbers are part of the larger Disney/ABC media network. But having worked in that division for 8+ years, I would venture to guess that ESPN is still profitable but just not providing revenue at the projected returns. Disney cares about shareholder return and profitability margins, with their Media networks driving 3x that of theme parks and 5x that of theatrical movie releases. Those revenues consist of ad sales dollars, carriage fees from providers and syndication/program sales of content globally.

Hope this helps

TP yes thx.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Also doesn't help they are so PC and lame. No diversity of thought whatsoever.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
God willing, OP
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

::)

That has nothing to do with the problems. Not to mention half their shows are people yelling at each other so obviously there are plenty of differences of opinion.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If ESPN were to file for bankruptcy protection and the Court were to void the contract ESPN has with the NBA, I wonder what the ripple effect would be.  Would the owners be responsible for paying the salaries that were determined based upon the declared salary cap or is there a protection included in the CBA that lowers the salary cap should ESPN be declared insolvent?

I doubt it would have much effect. If they get out of the contract, NBA would just shop it and give it to the highest bidder. I'm sure another network like FS1 would jump at attracting a whole new audience.

ESPN should have stuck to just being informative while also entertaining. The personalities they have now are a far cry from the ones in the '90's. They seem to be more entertainment driven now, while their anchors are often clueless about the topics being discussed.

I agree about the cable model being broken by these on-demand subscription services like Netflix, but sports are one of if not the biggest reason I keep cable. I hope Amazon and Hulu continue to put pressure on the cable providers to lower their prices.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
With all the firings and no good shows it seems to me this network is in critical condition. Has there ever been a network that just died?

Yes...... ON TV .... lol !!!!

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

::)

That has nothing to do with the problems. Not to mention half their shows are people yelling at each other so obviously there are plenty of differences of opinion.

How many people on ESPN had ANYTHING negative to say about Kaepernick's National Anthem protest?  And I know for a fact there's no one on the entire network who is even 1/4 as pro-Trump and Max Kellerman is anti-Trump on First Take.

I don't know if politics ranks high on ESPN's list of problems but I would be surprised if it wasn't playing some part.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, I do tend to watch the sport specific networks for coverage more than I do ESPN.  If I want NBA news or highlights, I go to NBATV.  Ditto for the NFL, I go to NFL Network.  Ditto for hockey, it's NHL Network for me, although I do go to NBC Sports for some NHL coverage too.

Eventually these networks will fully replace ESPN, whether that be through traditional cable TV or as individual programming via the internet.  It makes financial sense for the sports leagues to cut out the middle man.  As tv set technology continues to grow, you'll be able to stream lives sports with the same speed and reliability of cable tv.  Once that happens on a scale most everyone can afford, it's game over for networks like ESPN.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think things like the Big Ten network have also hurt ESPN