Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28687 times)

Re: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Plan in offseason

-Trade Marcus Morris for prospects/pick
-Sign Smart to a 4 year 12 million per season deal

Keep Rozier for another season and worry about his extension later

I think this is the best way to go, to try to keep both
Why move Morris? He is on an absolute bargain contract and provides way more scoring than Semi will be able to anytime soon.

We shouldn't move a piece that could be crucial to a playoff run when we will likely be looking at contending for a chip in '19

yes or no

you want to keep Smart or Morris?

The answer should be easy
Why can't we have both? Morris is contracted until 2019

because cheapie Wyck likely won't pay the luxury tax for non star players (like Smart, Morris)

Morris while has done a good job this season and helped out in the playoffs is a role player at best.  A position that Semi, Tatum (off the bench), Yabu can graduate to

« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Since when is Wyc a cheap owner? He paid the luxury tax for 6 straight years when we had KG, we only stopped paying it after Pierce/KG were traded.

If you think Wyc is cheap let me tell you about Gaston and his group...

« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2018, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Since when is Wyc a cheap owner? He paid the luxury tax for 6 straight years when we had KG, we only stopped paying it after Pierce/KG were traded.

He's not.  This ownership has already proven that they will pay when they have a legit contender on their hands.  I would imagine we'll get more of that in the near future.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

read your own reply

for KG, PIERCE , ALLEN

not for Eddie House etc.

Horford, Hayward, Irving plus Tatum, Brown are the main core components of this team.  The rest while important ... the point is, wyck is not going to go out of his way to pay luxury tax to keep everybody

So if it came down to keeping Smart or Morris.... Smart should be the choice (team is thin in the pg position anyways)

« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

read your own reply

for KG, PIERCE , ALLEN

not for Eddie House etc.
That's not how the tax works, you pay it on everyone. So yes he was paying luxury tax on Eddie's small deal, Poseys, Sheeds, Jermaine O'Neals, Bass, etc.

« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2018, 11:55:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

read your own reply

for KG, PIERCE , ALLEN

not for Eddie House etc.
That's not how the tax works, you pay it on everyone. So yes he was paying luxury tax on Eddie's small deal, Poseys, Sheeds, Jermaine O'Neals, Bass, etc.
Absolutely correct. The Celtics are going to get into the tax, most likely next year, but definitely the year after. As long as that team is a contender and having tons of profitable home playoff games and selling tons of merch, ownership will pay the tax. Next year they are a contender so you don't throw away a great bench role player, like Morris, who is on a basement bargain contract, to save a couple million.

« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Plan in offseason

If the decision is made to sign Smart (which I am all for) and that means having to trade some salary, I would trade Rozier before I traded Morris. 

Rozier is coming on nicely and will be a useful player in the league but he is less useful if you already have Kyrie and Smart, even given the injury history of Irving and Smart.

« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Plan in offseason

If the decision is made to sign Smart (which I am all for) and that means having to trade some salary, I would trade Rozier before I traded Morris. 

Rozier is coming on nicely and will be a useful player in the league but he is less useful if you already have Kyrie and Smart, even given the injury history of Irving and Smart.

If you are going to trade Rozier this offseason is the best time to do it.  Reason being is the draft is deep and his value will never be higher.  Any time trading for him gets him 1 year on the cheap and his bird rights.  Next year with everyone healthy there will not be very many minutes for him and his value will take a hit.  I like Trozier but would rather have Smart.  Smart has shown what happens to the Defense when he is in the lineup versus out of the lineup. 

« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Plan in offseason

Nope. I want to keep both Smart and Rozier for insurance

Kyrie health may never be 100 percent. 

Morris is a role player... i dont get the fascination with this guy.

We still have Semi, Yabu, Tatum, Brown, Hayward

Fwd position is loaded

Guard position not so much

« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Plan in offseason

Fwd position is loaded

All good points .   BuT ...........

Im for keeping Morris and Theis. ......Morris we need .  We need a enforcer and this one can hurt ya bad with his scoring too . 

We need him to protect Kyrie , and his scoring too.

I also love the moose

We are gonna need ALL the tuff bigs we got to handle Philly

If we make it to Philly , you ll see how i portant Morris and Moose are .   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:01:59 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Plan in offseason

Fwd position is loaded

If Morris is a role player, what are Semi and Yabu?  I would be fascinated to hear your take.

I view Morris as a big.  He can play some wing in a pinch but that is essentially out of position for him.  Tatum, Brown, and Hayward are wings.  Maybe some day Tatum could be effective as a big but these guys cannot give you what Morris can.

Our established bigs for next season are Morris and Horford.  Baynes, Monroe, Theis may or may not be back and even if they do come back, that is not a great group of players.  I do not consider Semi or Yabu "established" and would not want to bank on them playing pivotal roles on the team next season.

I am not saying that Morris is irreplaceable but based on the projected roster, he plays a thinner position than Rozier.  I don't want to trade Rozier, I like his game and his trajectory, but as it stands right now, I trade him before Morris.

« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

read your own reply

for KG, PIERCE , ALLEN

not for Eddie House etc.
Absolutely correct. The Celtics are going to get into the tax, most likely next year, but definitely the year after. As long as that team is a contender and having tons of profitable home playoff games and selling tons of merch, ownership will pay the tax. Next year they are a contender so you don't throw away a great bench role player, like Morris, who is on a basement bargain contract, to save a couple million.
the thing is, the repeater tax is awful so pushing the repeater tax back a year is a huge deal.  I'm not saying the C's won't go into the tax this summer, as they might, but if they are close to it, they will do whatever they can to avoid it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Plan in offseason

Fwd position is loaded

If Morris is a role player, what are Semi and Yabu?  I would be fascinated to hear your take.

I view Morris as a big.  He can play some wing in a pinch but that is essentially out of position for him.  Tatum, Brown, and Hayward are wings.  Maybe some day Tatum could be effective as a big but these guys cannot give you what Morris can.

Our established bigs for next season are Morris and Horford.  Baynes, Monroe, Theis may or may not be back and even if they do come back, that is not a great group of players.  I do not consider Semi or Yabu "established" and would not want to bank on them playing pivotal roles on the team next season.

I am not saying that Morris is irreplaceable but based on the projected roster, he plays a thinner position than Rozier.  I don't want to trade Rozier, I like his game and his trajectory, but as it stands right now, I trade him before Morris.
Morris is a role player.  I don't understand why anyone would classify him as anything other than that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Morris is a role player.  I don't understand why anyone would classify him as anything other than that.

Not sure how this became a debate about the semantics of what type of player Morris is.  The question that I originally replied to was if you had to trade one of Rozier or Morris in order to sign Smart, which one would you trade.  I made my case for trading Rozier over Morris if it came down to exactly that choice.

Based on that, it was insinuated that I was fascinated with Morris because I think Morris is not equivalent to Yabusele.  Then I got your condescending reply and that I don't understand what a role player is.  Yikes.  Try to stay on topic people.

« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2018, 10:53:01 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
One thing that stuck out for me watching last night was that Smart and Rozier are awful playing together. Both guys are at their best when they are playing with better players and the ball is moving. When they are in the game together, they stop the ball and start trying to take their defenders off the dribble, and the offense grinds to a halt. All those midseason games where the bench struggles to score came flooding back to me.

Just another reason not to keep both guys.