Author Topic: The Celticsblog Hall of Fame  (Read 147394 times)

Re: The Celticsblog Hall of Fame
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is this all the love this idea gets?

I know it would be a lot of work, work I for one would be willing to put in.

And this is not a joke.

Come on any further input? If there just isn't the support or people think it's a bad idea just say so. I won't be arguing the point. I just would like to know.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Is this all the love this idea gets?

I know it would be a lot of work, work I for one would be willing to put in.

And this is not a joke.

Come on any further input? If there just isn't the support or people think it's a bad idea just say so. I won't be arguing the point. I just would like to know.

I think it's a fun idea, nick.  I'm sure the staff would support it once folks figured out what type of rules / structure it had.  I don't want to speak for Bob, but it's probably not all that hard to put a section / link that sends us to a page with biographical info related to the inductees.  I'm sure we could also give this some front page attention.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Wow, a CB HOF. That's a crazy idea, but just crazy enough to work. Good luck with it. I've only been posting for about 2 1/2 years, don't know how long the blog has been around, so I'm only familiar with the current iteration of CB and one prior version. To me, the two dominant people are Jeff and Roy, I guess I missed out on much of the Po era. Since many of the longtime posters have cited to Po and many like me don't know much if anything about Po, I would agree voting should be limited to the mods for the first few votes, then opened up to 1000+ posters, with greater weight for people who have been around longer. As for my choices, Scintan is also a guy who sticks out to me as somebody who really made this place lively. And Edgar's one of my favorites - seeing him bring in the international flavor always makes me happy. And I'm a big fan of EJPlaya's posts, wdleehi and nick himself. It's not about quantity, but quality to me, and I generally like what those guys have to say.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
We already have

Stars
Titles
Celtic Player Designations
Tommy Point Numbers
Number of Posts

Not to mention
Names,
Pictures
Tag Lines
Tag Lines w/ Pictures

How much more do we need to differentiate people?

I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I think we'd also have to pay homage to the historical characters

hagrid was my original co-author but life got in the way and he had to pull back

and anyone else from the old Boston.com chatroom, in particular C-Bill, who passed away a couple years ago (may he rest in peace)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think it is a fun idea, but i honestly dont think we should have it.  we have tp's and stars with threads for each for posters to congratulate and recognize posters' contributions.  i think adding a hall of fame could potential create issues for people (not myself, as i think its a fun idea).  people may start to get egos, build resentment towards others, and worst of all....post with an agenda, rather than keeping it real.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:36:14 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think we'd also have to pay homage to the historical characters

hagrid was my original co-author but life got in the way and he had to pull back

and anyone else from the old Boston.com chatroom, in particular C-Bill, who passed away a couple years ago (may he rest in peace)

Definitely.  HomeRunBaker definitely would need some consideration, too.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I like the idea too. Like paintitgreen, I think it should be about quality, not quantity. We already have stars for quantity of posts. I could easily see the HOF as being redudant (i.e., those that have lots of stars are automatically voted into the HOF).

Obviously, one has to post frequently enough that they establish a reputation and familiarity on the blog.  But I would imagine that there are lots of people who are familiar based on their large post counts that aren't necessarily deserving of HOF induction.

Just like the real HOF, there should be a waiting period. For example, you can't become eligible (regardless of post count) until you've been a member for X amount of time (e.g., 2 years.)

As for voting, I think it should definitely not be a mod only voting system. I agree that there should be a minimum post count. On top of that, I think there should be a minimum length of time as a member of the blog. Obviously, that can't go too far back because I imagine it would be too hard to figure out who participated in previous versions of the blog.

Perhaps someone could become a voting member if they have a low post count, but the logs show that person is frequently on the blog, reading posts, etc.

My two cents.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
you have to admit, you guys really are vain!

(...says the guy who has runs a blog and pleads for attention on a daily basis)

:P
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Active Bloggers qualify??  I always thought you had to be retired for 5 years before you could be nominated for the hall of fame.

I've seen no crocodile tear-filled press conferences with Blog members announcing their retirements yet.  

Billy welcomed me when I stumbled into the Globe's chatroom.  One of the nicest, down to earth people I've known in the Blog/Globe.  A sad loss.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Would we have to retire from the blog for 5 years to be eligible?

I think I'm leaning with darklord on this one.

Yup

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Active Bloggers qualify??  I always thought you had to be retired for 5 years before you could be nominated for the hall of fame.

I've seen no crocodile tear-filled press conferences with Blog members announcing their retirements yet. 

Yeah, we'd pretty much be limiting the pools to banned members...and down the road, BrickJames (if Tony Allen gets a contract)  ;)

Imagine that... a boatload of Laker-Piston trolls as our eligible HOF candidates...might have to keep it open to the active-folk, eh?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 01:33:55 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Me too!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Me too!!!

That said, if we are going to impose a 5 year wait, I'd like to announce my retirement, effective immediately ;)
Yup

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Active Bloggers qualify??  I always thought you had to be retired for 5 years before you could be nominated for the hall of fame.

Yeah, we'd pretty much be limiting the pools to banned members...and down the road, BrickJames (if Tony Allen gets a contract)  ;)

Imagine that... a boatload of Laker-Piston trolls as our eligible HOF candidates...might have to keep it open to the active-folk, eh?

-sw

Obviously, making people wait for 5 years after retiring doesn't make sense for a blog HOF. You have to include active bloggers, but there should be a waiting period (e.g., minimum of 2-3 years as a blog member).