24 (19.8%)
Nets
24 (19.8%)
Clippers
6 (5%)
Other
12 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: The Kyrie Irving free agency thread(to sign 4yr/$141M w/Nets page 105)  (Read 148087 times)

Re: Compensation for Kyrie?
« Reply #825 on: May 11, 2019, 11:20:59 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Teams that have cap space that can sign Kyrie(NYK, Nets, LAC, LAL) have no incentive to sign and trade for Kyrie. Simply put, as someone said, there is no reason for them to do it. Just sign the guy.

Teams that might do a sign and trade are teams that Kyrie would want to sign with that do not have cap space to sign him outright. That is the reason teams do sign and trades. Especially if they are not going to be at or over the apron after the trade.

As an example, perhaps say Houston was interested in Kyrie and Kyrie wanted to play with Harden or maybe Kyrie would like to play with Jokic in Denver. Then a sign and trade might make sense as those teams couldn't afford him outright but would be willing to part with a player(s) for signing Kyrie.

Problem is, the teams that Kyrie has been rumored to be interested in all have cap space. So really, there is no way a sign and trade would go down with them.
Yes Kyrie can opt out and sign with the Knicks for a 4-year max and will have room to sign 1 max player and a tier 3 player.

Or I if Kyrie opts in and then gets traded to the Knicks for all of their remaining salary they have on the books, Kyrie can finish out the remaninder of the contract he opted in for 1 season. Play out that season and can retain his bird rights and be signed to a super max 5yr 205m contract.

His 1st year will be 21M, so the Knicks can trade their remaining salaries (22M) to the Celtics now the Knicks can have Kyrie and 2 Max slots.... again this is an Opt-in and trade not a sign and trade. I’m not sure how this is not a major benefit for both sides, am I missing something?

« Reply #826 on: May 11, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Teams that have cap space that can sign Kyrie(NYK, Nets, LAC, LAL) have no incentive to sign and trade for Kyrie. Simply put, as someone said, there is no reason for them to do it. Just sign the guy.

Teams that might do a sign and trade are teams that Kyrie would want to sign with that do not have cap space to sign him outright. That is the reason teams do sign and trades. Especially if they are not going to be at or over the apron after the trade.

As an example, perhaps say Houston was interested in Kyrie and Kyrie wanted to play with Harden or maybe Kyrie would like to play with Jokic in Denver. Then a sign and trade might make sense as those teams couldn't afford him outright but would be willing to part with a player(s) for signing Kyrie.

Problem is, the teams that Kyrie has been rumored to be interested in all have cap space. So really, there is no way a sign and trade would go down with them.

we don't know this for certain....as it was probably the New York media etc. feeding this rumor to the public

yes because he is from that area, or bought a property there....it looks "like"

but the truth is, Irving may be seeking to join an established team next.....

If Durant bounces for the Knicks or Knicks trade #1 or #2 pick for AD..... sure I can see Irving signing with the Knicks

but if this doesn't happen.....why would Irving sign with a team that will sukk?

Re: Was Kyrie intentionally missing shots?
« Reply #827 on: May 11, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I don't believe Irving was missing shots intentionally. However, the fact that we even have a thread about Kyrie missing shots intentionally speaks volumes about the melodrama Kyrie has created this year. Would this forum ever have a thread about Bird or even Pierce missing shots intentionally ? H%#L  NO.

This day and age....who knows...

« Reply #828 on: May 11, 2019, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What if the Bucks lose in the ECF

want Irving on their team

Would a trade of Irving (sign and trade), Yabu for Hill, Snell, Connaughton, Divicenzo, 2019 1st

check out?

Depending what path the Celts want to take, then the team can trade Hill, Snell

« Reply #829 on: May 11, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Would a trade of Irving (sign and trade), Yabu for Hill, Snell, Connaughton, Divicenzo, 2019 1st

check out?

Lol you’re funny

« Reply #830 on: May 11, 2019, 12:18:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

check out?

Lol you’re funny

why?

I rather get compensation back than let Kyme walk for free

I couldn't care less about the Bucks path

« Reply #831 on: May 11, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

check out?

Lol you’re funny

why?

What??? You could careless about the team whom just beat us? Man I’m just going to take it that you’re trolling. You win man.

« Reply #832 on: May 11, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

check out?

Lol you’re funny

why?

I take it you're not interested in competing for a championship for the next 5+ years.  You'd let the Bucks get Irving without having to give up Middleton and whoever else they prefer to retain.  The returned pick and players amount to next to nothing. 

« Reply #833 on: May 11, 2019, 01:06:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yes Kyrie can opt out and sign with the Knicks for a 4-year max and will have room to sign 1 max player and a tier 3 player.

Or I if Kyrie opts in and then gets traded to the Knicks for all of their remaining salary they have on the books, Kyrie can finish out the remaninder of the contract he opted in for 1 season. Play out that season and can retain his bird rights and be signed to a super max 5yr 205m contract.

His 1st year will be 21M, so the Knicks can trade their remaining salaries (22M) to the Celtics now the Knicks can have Kyrie and 2 Max slots.... again this is an Opt-in and trade not a sign and trade. I’m not sure how this is not a major benefit for both sides, am I missing something?
Dude...you're stretching this scenario out to an absolute ridiculous end. There is no way Kyrie opts in and then tries to force Ainge's hand to trade him while losing $11 million in salary next year.

He could simply sign a one year plus an option in New York at $32 million and when the time comes sign that 10 year vet deal starting at around $40 million there after.

You are simply trying to figure out a way to use a trade/sign and trade of Kyrie to keep assets for Boston if Kyrie leaves. But, Kyrie wanting to leave means he has zero incentive to help Boston. He certainly isn't going to take give up $11 million this year after giving up over $3 million to get here by waiving his trade kicker.

« Reply #834 on: May 11, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Honestly as I was watching some of those games I was thinking that he was missing on purpose.  At the very least he was taking ridiculous shots when basic shots were available to him.  Pull straight up for a 3?  Nah, shoot from 4 feet beyond the arc and drift 3 feet to the side in the air while shooting... Take a normal layup?  Nah, float under the rim to the opposite side and take a left handed shot with crazy English.  As I was watching I kept thinking of Phil Jackson saying Kobe would screw up on purpose at times so he could be the hero at the end of the game. 

What would motivate Irving to miss shots intentionally?  Who knows but he's a weirdo.

« Reply #835 on: May 11, 2019, 01:38:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Dude...you're stretching this scenario out to an absolute ridiculous end. There is no way Kyrie opts in and then tries to force Ainge's hand to trade him while losing $11 million in salary next year.

He could simply sign a one year plus an option in New York at $32 million and when the time comes sign that 10 year vet deal starting at around $40 million there after.

You are simply trying to figure out a way to use a trade/sign and trade of Kyrie to keep assets for Boston if Kyrie leaves. But, Kyrie wanting to leave means he has zero incentive to help Boston. He certainly isn't going to take give up $11 million this year after giving up over $3 million to get here by waiving his trade kicker.
He'd also be taking a huge risk that he might suffer a serious injury. 

« Reply #836 on: May 11, 2019, 01:45:36 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Are we just going to ignore the fact that the Bucks just played excellent defense on Kyrie for four straight games and might be a factor as to why he's just been stopped? They game planned and adjusted, something Brad Stevens should learn how to do. Give credit where it's due.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #837 on: May 11, 2019, 02:13:41 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

He'd also be taking a huge risk that he might suffer a serious injury.

Understood

Re: Re-Sign Kyrie?
« Reply #838 on: May 11, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
AD and KI are almost joined at the hip. If Ainge wants AD, KI is the big incentive. There wouldn't be much left in Boston after the trade except Irving and maybe Horford.

I doubt AD will have much desire to come here without Irving here. Indeed, if Irving signs with the Knicks, they will suddenly be the favorites to get Davis for the top pick (if they get it). And then they might even get Durant to boot, which would send the TV networks into ecstacy. The NBA is a league of stars, and stars drive the TV ratings.

So Ainge is in a tough position. He has to re-sign Irving if he wants Davis.

Any way Ainge can get a verbal agreement from Davis before he re-signs Irving? Or does the sequence have to be Irving and then Davis. That is, if Davis doesn't pull a Josh McDaniels or DeAndre Jordan.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: Where does Kyrie go
« Reply #839 on: May 11, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If Kyrie ends up going to Brooklyn, could the Celtics and Nets do a double sign and trade?

Kyrie for D'Angelo Russell.
^^this

Sign me up

I was just curious but I don't think the Celts can do sign and trades because they are over the cap.