Author Topic: Where would Perk be drafted in the 2003 draft if it was held today?  (Read 6177 times)

Re: Where would Perk be drafted in the 2003 draft if it was held today?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
1)LBJ
2) D Wade
3) C Bosh
4) C Anthony
5/6) C Kaman, D West
7) TJ Ford
8) Josh Howard
9/10 Barbosa, Pietrus
11/12) Outlaw/Diaw (remember it took both these guys a few years to become productive

I'd put perk probably somewhere around 13-15 i guess. Maybe as low as 17.

I'm not so sure.  I think Perk might be moving up ever so slightly.  A 24 year old very hard working starting center that defends very well, blocks shots, and rebounds are hard to come by.  His last 5 games he is averaging 12.4 points and 10.8 boards and is improving this year.  I think I would take him over Diaw, Pietrus, Outlaw, and I would think hard about taking him over Barbosa and even Ford with his injury history.  

Diaw I could see, but Outlaw was a borderline sixth man of the year last season, Pietrus has been averaging around 18ppg when getting 30 mins per game (I made that number up, Im too lazy to do the calcs via the game log, but I looked at it.), and he's a pretty good perimeter defender himself. I guess you could lump Pietrus and Perk together as a need choice, but I think right now Pietrus at about the same level as Perk, just different skill set. i rank him about because of his level of contribution while still playing alongside Rashard Lewis, Turk, Howard, and Jameer Nelson (who can also score in bunches).

But Barbosa is a 6-3 shooting guard who averages 12 points per 25 minutes on his career. He's a stud scorer ala Monta Ellis, and on a team that needed 30 mins a night and 23-25 ppg I think he'd be able to deliver. I don't think Perk has 15ppg in him right now, although he is definitely getting better.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 03:07:09 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Interesting. I do think Perkins would have gone much higher - but he might have never developed the same had then been the case. it reminds me of QBs. Some people feel that a 1st round QB can actually suffer because he will go to a really bad team and be forced in right away.

I guy like Perkins was able to sit back with no pressure as he was a project - and slowly grow into the player he is today. Marcus Banks OTOH as a 'lottery' pick had too much ego and lacked the work ethic and the humility to maximize his talent. Had the situations been reversed with Banks going late - maybe the situation would have been different.

But yes assuming that guys develop the same wherever they are picked - certainly Perkins would be lottery..

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 07:42:03 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Notable second rounders:

Kapono, Walton, Steve Blake, Willie Green, Zaza, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner, Mo Williams, James Jones, Kyle Korver

So, I say 27th is about right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NBA_Draft

27th?

Clearly the top:
Lebron
Wade
Melo
Cabarkapa
Bosh
David West
Josh Howard

Next tier:
Kaman
Diaw
TJ
Perk?

Hinrich's stock has plummeted. Same for Barbosa.
I like Pietrus.
Kapono and Korver are nice shooters, but how many teams would draft them over a Center who can defend?

Do you think teams would want Zaza, Blake, or Walton over Perk?

Just kidding about Cabarkapa.

G, are you for real.  Chewbacca you rank above Perk and most of the other draftees of 03????

Also, you say that you wouldnt mind having Dontay Jones?? Again, Huh?

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
1)LBJ
2) D Wade
3) C Bosh
4) C Anthony
5/6) C Kaman, D West
7) TJ Ford
8) Josh Howard
9/10 Barbosa, Pietrus
11/12) Outlaw/Diaw (remember it took both these guys a few years to become productive

I'd put perk probably somewhere around 13-15 i guess. Maybe as low as 17.

I'm not so sure.  I think Perk might be moving up ever so slightly.  A 24 year old very hard working starting center that defends very well, blocks shots, and rebounds are hard to come by.  His last 5 games he is averaging 12.4 points and 10.8 boards and is improving this year.  I think I would take him over Diaw, Pietrus, Outlaw, and I would think hard about taking him over Barbosa and even Ford with his injury history.  
But Barbosa is a 6-3 shooting guard who averages 12 points per 25 minutes on his career. He's a stud scorer ala Monta Ellis, and on a team that needed 30 mins a night and 23-25 ppg I think he'd be able to deliver. I don't think Perk has 15ppg in him right now, although he is definitely getting better.
I don't know about that. How many stiff big men do you see taken in the draft ahead of good shooting guard prospects?

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Personally, I have never been a Barbosa fan.  He always seemed like a product of the system to me.  Don't get me wrong, he is a decent player, but I could never see him being more than an energy guy off the bench in the Tony Delk mould (who I think would have been just as good playing in that system with Nash).

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Just kidding about Cabarkapa.

Guess you skipped that line.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com