Author Topic: Tommy on the Road?  (Read 4126 times)

Tommy on the Road?
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
I missed the very beginning of last night, so I was wondering if they said anything about Tommy being on the road for last night's game.  Anything?  Is the Donny Marshall experiment over with?  I hope so.  We'll see what happens in Washington I guess.

Re: Tommy on the Road?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:29:31 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think tommy is probabley doing it to help him through his recent loss. Hellen's health was one of the main reasons he stopped traveling with the team i think. :'(
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
tommy's a homer, has lost a lot of objectivity, and makes statements that make me shake my head in disbelief...

...but i love to hear his voice.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Washington game is on TNT so CSN won't do the game.  We're gonna have to wait a little longer.

I'm guessing he does everything but the west coast trips.  It's good to have him doing as many games as possible in my opinion.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Washington game is on TNT so CSN won't do the game.  We're gonna have to wait a little longer.

I'm guessing he does everything but the west coast trips.  It's good to have him doing as many games as possible in my opinion.

Yeah, I could see him go back to what he was doing (was it last year), where he did the short road trips, but not the long ones.  The problem is, I don't know if they actually can do it contract-wise. 

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I was wondering too, as to why Tommy was doing the game - my guess is that because Donny Marshall had surgery last week and just didn't feel up to it.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
tommy's a homer, has lost a lot of objectivity, and makes statements that make me shake my head in disbelief...

You're implying he had any objectivity to begin with.  ;D

In all seriousness, I actually think he has become more objective now that the team is successful...when they were really bad earlier this decade, he was the definition of a homer - blaming the refs for a 35 point loss, claiming Milt Palacio type guys were elite players, etc.  I am just using him as an example, I dont think he ever said that about Milt, but he often made ridiculous exaggerations about a player's ability.  If anything, he is a little tougher on them now, which is good to see...

Maybe he just felt bad for them when they were horrible?

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9

You're implying he had any objectivity to begin with.  ;D

In all seriousness, I actually think he has become more objective now that the team is successful...when they were really bad earlier this decade, he was the definition of a homer - blaming the refs for a 35 point loss, claiming Milt Palacio type guys were elite players, etc.  I am just using him as an example, I dont think he ever said that about Milt, but he often made ridiculous exaggerations about a player's ability.  If anything, he is a little tougher on them now, which is good to see...

Maybe he just felt bad for them when they were horrible?

I just think like many of us he's a die-hard fan and became really attached to guys who weren't that good (Orien Greene, Walter, etc.).

There's also not a ton to say about Ray and KG and Paul -- they're just so good and do pretty much everything well. He spends more time watching the Powes and the Davises of the world, so he ends up talking about them (good and bad) more than anything.

His homerism as far as the refs go is charming. As long as you take him for what he is, he's enjoyable.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
i was actually referring to his days alongside dick stockton at CBS...

he was forced to be a little more objective because of who was signing his paycheck.  :)

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:06:55 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22

Did Tommy lose his objectivity at the end of regulation time in the Pacer game when he kept saying the Celtics needed to protect the baseline on the side where the ball was being put into play. This was on the Pacer's last possession in regulation time when Jack got off an open shot from just where Tommy was talking about.   Also, Tommy did the road game because Donny Marshall had knee surgery and couldn't make the trip.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 08:32:24 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
thank you for your definitive wisdom...i have now seen the light.

(and is tommy always objective when it comes to the games?  you cited one example (correctly) but admit it...he's a homer...and we love him for it!)

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 08:38:50 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I actually find him farily objective when its not a foul call, of which no celtic has commited at any time. those have become almost sthick at this point :D

but when he's talking about non-celtic players, he pretty much gives the unvarnished truth :)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I actually find him farily objective when its not a foul call, of which no celtic has commited at any time. those have become almost sthick at this point :D

but when he's talking about non-celtic players, he pretty much gives the unvarnished truth :)

When you look at the replays Tommy is right much of the time about bad calls. And, I think it was Mike Gorman who said that Tommy isn't broadcasting the game, he's coaching it and probably in his head is playing (when Rondo is doing his thing). We waste too much time talking about Tommy. Plain and simple, Tommy is a Celtic and I, at least, love him for that. Does anyone like having TNT or ESPN announcing the games?

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

When you look at the replays Tommy is right much of the time about bad calls. And, I think it was Mike Gorman who said that Tommy isn't broadcasting the game, he's coaching it and probably in his head is playing (when Rondo is doing his thing). We waste too much time talking about Tommy. Plain and simple, Tommy is a Celtic and I, at least, love him for that. Does anyone like having TNT or ESPN announcing the games?

Only if its the JVG/MJ crew, that crew is the best trio of natinal announcers out there, mostly because JVG and MJ call it like they see it, unlike other announcers who will bland it up to make sure everyones "great"

like Donny does.