Author Topic: Where does Perk rank??  (Read 3532 times)

Where does Perk rank??
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:38:19 AM »

Offline jordb2k5

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I know there has been  lot of discussion lately on if Rondo is an all star in the East and how he ranks.  The general feel is he is an all star but may not get picked or just not win the popularity contest.  So I thought it fitting to debate the last Celtic starter Perkins.

I was voting for the all stars and decided to look at the centers in the East better than him that I would take right now.  Obviously Dwight Howard is ahead of him but after that I felt like I could debate and argue others.  Horford and Okafor were the 2 that jumped out at me, I'm not convinced either is REALLY a center and also that right now they are better than Perkins.  Also neither of these guys have the name like Iverson that gets them an automatic bid to the All Star game. 

Not saying that Perkins will be in that game but go ahead and debate/rank where he is in the East against other C's.

Re: Where does Perk rank??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What I like about Perk is that he may not put up the all-star numbers, but in his matchups against other centers, he seems to outplay them for the most part. Maybe not out play them, but at the very least he usually makes them play subpar to their usual.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »

Offline jordb2k5

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
What I like about Perk is that he may not put up the all-star numbers, but in his matchups against other centers, he seems to outplay them for the most part. Maybe not out play them, but at the very least he usually makes them play subpar to their usual.

I agree I really feel he made DWH a non factor when we played him this past week.  He still posted a double double but the numbers lie if you watched that game.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:05:19 AM »

Offline Max Power

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
This is my East Centers Top Ten:

1. Dwight Howard(The best center in NBA)
2. Al horford (undersized but I like his hustle. Can rebound and has better offensive moves than Perk)
3. Rasheed Wallace (He's getting old but he can still defend and be productive in offence)
4. Andrew Bogut (I like so much this player, he's tough, can rebound and pass the ball so well)
5. Kendrick Perkins
6. Jermaine O'neall (Injurie prone, doesn't defend like Perk)
7. Emeka Okafor
8. Zydrunas Ilgauskas (The same as O'neall)
9. Samuel Dalembert (Has the size and the skill but he seen so weak sometimes)

But if you only talk about defence I give Perk the second place behind Howard.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:16:08 AM by Max Power »

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Perk's numbers will always be deceiving.  He does so much more than shows up in the stats.  He plays defense and that shows up in the only stat that counts...wins.  He also boxes out so that his teammates can get the rebound and he sets picks to get teammates open for shots.  Perk will never get the gaudy numbers that some other centers like D Howard get but he is perfect for this team as he is willing to do the dirty work and he is willing to play a role regardless of whether he gets stats or not.  The stats are coming though because he plays that role so perfectly. 

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
It's hard to say because he doesn't get many oppurtunities. But he does have the advantage because he's never double teamed. Forget these Celtics homers putting him in the top 5 already. He shuts down the top centers in the league but you can't put him in the top 5 until he finishes this season strong. Perk is prolly my fav Celtics right now but Dwight Howard isnt playing next to a KG so he wont get any easy points like Perk.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's hard to say because he doesn't get many oppurtunities. But he does have the advantage because he's never double teamed. Forget these Celtics homers putting him in the top 5 already. He shuts down the top centers in the league but you can't put him in the top 5 until he finishes this season strong. Perk is prolly my fav Celtics right now but Dwight Howard isnt playing next to a KG so he wont get any easy points like Perk.
Perk has started to get more of his points on real offensive moves and less on open dunks.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

2. Al horford (undersized but I like his hustle. Can rebound and has better offensive moves than Perk)
3. Rasheed Wallace (He's getting old but he can still defend and be productive in offence)
4. Andrew Bogut (I like so much this player, he's tough, can rebound and pass the ball so well)
5. Kendrick Perkins
7. Emeka Okafor

i agree with this as an overall, but i'd put him top 3 in terms of a defensive center. he's really turning into the guy who levels the field against dominant big men. see: Yao, Howard, Oden.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:43:10 PM by xmuscularghandix »

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

5. Kendrick Perkins
7. Emeka Okafor

This is not a bad list.  The only thing I might change is moving Ilgauskas way up.  I actually think he would go in the top 2 or 3.  He is a very underrated defender, and he is not really injury prone anymore.  Last year was the first year he missed more than 3 games (he missed 9) since 2001-2002. 

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If I'm picking my team

1 Howard
2 Horford
3 Bogut
4 Z
5 Okafor (why isn't he much better than he is now?...I still put him ahead of Perk on upside)
6 Perk

you can keep the rest
Yup

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Howard

Bogut
Ilgauskas

Horford
Perkins
Okafor

I think there's a pretty big gap between 1 and 2, and then between 3 and 4.  Bogut and Ilgauskas are about equal to me, I'll take Bogut because he's much younger and still getting better.  Horford and Perkins are really close too, but I think Horford's advantage in offense outweighs Perk's advantage in defense.  I already think Perkins is a little better than Okafor.

I don't consider Sheed a center, and Jermaine O'Neal needs to stay healthy before I'll give him a look on this list.  Dalembert would have been around 5 on this list before this year.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Is Bogut really that good? Other then that the lists seem solid.. Perkins has made himself a top 5 kind of east center..

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:01 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Is Bogut really that good? Other then that the lists seem solid.. Perkins has made himself a top 5 kind of east center..

For me Bogut healthy
is closer to Howard than to Z

but theres Camby and a healthy Kaman to consider on that list too
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Based on how they're playing this year:

1. Howard