Author Topic: Weekend Dime: East scout calls Rondo East's best PG  (Read 13848 times)

Re: Weekend Dime: East scout calls Rondo East's best PG
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 01:18:36 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
It doesn't counter it if as is clearly the case for you) you don't understand what that means. Average means average for all players, both starters and reserves. The average starter has a PER well above 15. If you check the numbers for the other starting PGs you'll notice that A) the average PER for a starting PG would be well over 15, so holding them to under 15 would be good, and that B) most of the other PGs have a higer opposing PER than Rondo. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not clear.

Sorry but a 15 PER against just isn't stellar evidence. There are other guys doing that.

Some guys that are under 15 PER - Hinrich, TJ Ford, Billups in Denver, Chalmers in Miami, Ramon Sessions on the Bucks. Need I go on? With only 20 or so games under most of these guys belts though it's someone fluky.

If we look at a larger sample size (last year) Rondo's PER against was 17.6. Like I said Rondo is a fine defender. But placing him on some pedestal is foolish. Both Harris and Rose superior play on the more important (for a PG) offensive side of the ball dramatically outweighs what Rondo is doing.

Harris has a 29.9 PER for ****. There isn't a PG in the world who can make for that kind of disparity with 'defense.' It's not like Harris defense is that bad. It's the same story with Rose.

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 02:03:23 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I never, ever, ever see a pick set for Rondo on the high post.  Why?!  ???

The High Post is KG's bread and butter, Rondo got no right being there!  :P

Exactly why KG should be setting Rondo picks on the high post!  Pick and pop, pick and roll, pick and delayed roll for an oop (which they are mastering to perfection when KG isn't held cutting to the lane a-la the end of the Indiana game).  Pierce slashes weakside...Ray spots up for three...Perk stands there and/or decks someone for good measure...

The opportunities are endless!

I'm serious - I don't get it!  Why don't they run high post screens for Rondo?

It would unlock the potential not only for Rondo, but for the rest of the team. What gives?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 02:11:38 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I never, ever, ever see a pick set for Rondo on the high post.  Why?!  ???

The High Post is KG's bread and butter, Rondo got no right being there!  :P

Exactly why KG should be setting Rondo picks on the high post!  Pick and pop, pick and roll, pick and delayed roll for an oop (which they are mastering to perfection when KG isn't held cutting to the lane a-la the end of the Indiana game).  Pierce slashes weakside...Ray spots up for three...Perk stands there and/or decks someone for good measure...

The opportunities are endless!

I'm serious - I don't get it!  Why don't they run high post screens for Rondo?

It would unlock the potential not only for Rondo, but for the rest of the team. What gives?

I think alot of teams shut down the high post for rondo anyway. The defense sags off him so much because of his suspect shot and to prevent him getting the first step on them, there probably isnt alot on offer for rondo on the high post. 

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 04:10:40 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
PER is crap, PER inventor hollinger tells me that bill russell was the 6th best center of all time, and russell won 11 championships. if your stat tells me that the guy that won 11 championships, 2 ncaa titles and a gold medal is 6th on any list, then that tells me that your stat ain't measuring what it is suppose to be measuring when it comes to measuring performance that contributes to winning basketball.

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2008, 07:13:06 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
PER is crap, PER inventor hollinger tells me that bill russell was the 6th best center of all time, and russell won 11 championships. if your stat tells me that the guy that won 11 championships, 2 ncaa titles and a gold medal is 6th on any list, then that tells me that your stat ain't measuring what it is suppose to be measuring when it comes to measuring performance that contributes to winning basketball.

TP, its a math geeks stat, and is only useful in judging star vs star, not the actual worth of a player to his team. Unless anyone here thinks Paul is the 15th best SF in the league (go Q-rich and ariza  ::)) and ray (who has jumped because of his recent scoring) is 10th at best.

Its a nice stat if you want to have a lebron vs kobe talk though.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
It doesn't counter it if as is clearly the case for you) you don't understand what that means. Average means average for all players, both starters and reserves. The average starter has a PER well above 15. If you check the numbers for the other starting PGs you'll notice that A) the average PER for a starting PG would be well over 15, so holding them to under 15 would be good, and that B) most of the other PGs have a higer opposing PER than Rondo. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not clear.

Sorry but a 15 PER against just isn't stellar evidence. There are other guys doing that.

Some guys that are under 15 PER - Hinrich, TJ Ford, Billups in Denver, Chalmers in Miami, Ramon Sessions on the Bucks. Need I go on? With only 20 or so games under most of these guys belts though it's someone fluky.

If we look at a larger sample size (last year) Rondo's PER against was 17.6. Like I said Rondo is a fine defender. But placing him on some pedestal is foolish. Both Harris and Rose superior play on the more important (for a PG) offensive side of the ball dramatically outweighs what Rondo is doing.

Harris has a 29.9 PER for ****. There isn't a PG in the world who can make for that kind of disparity with 'defense.' It's not like Harris defense is that bad. It's the same story with Rose.

If I´m not mistaken, Hollinger himself put Rondo on his second all-defense team last season.

He added something along the lines of "The stats prove what my eyes tell me".
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

If I´m not mistaken, Hollinger himself put Rondo on his second all-defense team last season.

He added something along the lines of "The stats prove what my eyes tell me".

quite you, who cares what the man who invented the formula says!  ;) (and yes, he did say this and rank rondo that way.)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Rondo is a very special player. While he is not the best overall PG by any stretch of the imagination, he does things that make him an ideal point guard on a championship team. It helps that he has the opportunity to play with a few HOF's, but that's a tougher task than one would think. He has to be able to play smart, within himself, and even be able to step it up at times. He's shown all these things. He wouldn't have a ring under his belt as a starting PF if it weren't true.

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2008, 09:17:10 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Rondo is a very special player. While he is not the best overall PG by any stretch of the imagination, he does things that make him an ideal point guard on a championship team. It helps that he has the opportunity to play with a few HOF's, but that's a tougher task than one would think. He has to be able to play smart, within himself, and even be able to step it up at times. He's shown all these things. He wouldn't have a ring under his belt as a starting PF if it weren't true.

QFT. I think you hit on the real aspects that make Rondo so good for our team. His ability to coexist with great players. It of course helps him tremendously - like when he gambles for a steal and misses - KG has his back. And it allows him to take uncontested shots.

But it's also an issue where some more offensively minded PGs wouldn't be able to "mesh" with the team properly. Rondo has always been great at 'quietly' putting up great numbers.

Pete