Author Topic: Stan Van Gundy's Side of the Story.  (Read 3943 times)

Stan Van Gundy's Side of the Story.
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It's almost better hearing the losers whine about why they lost.

I was watching the game in Florida with the Orlando Broadcast.
And at one point the announcers said that somebody, Later saying Tony Batman Battie should throw a cheapshot at the Celtics.

And the announcer was crying about not being Full strength.
The guy also said that rondo's D was textbook and he really causes Havoc out there. And He seemed really Impressed with him overall.

As For Van Gundy. He had Really Really high praise for us.
he said Rondo and House hurt them bad. And said are Defense was GREAT. He also talked to his team about them trying to get to the Level we are at. You could tell they he see's us as a Real role model type of team.

I Like him a lot more now. He'a a really polite, Respectful Coach. That wishes greatly, he was where, we already Are.

Re: Stan Van Gundy's Side of the Story.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Stan Van Gundy has always been a favorite coach of mine.  Between the classy way he dealt with his dismissal in Miami, despite the fact he was royally screwed over, and the fact that he looks like Ron Jeremy, he has won a lot of points.  Combine that with the fact that he is a [dang] good coach, and I find it hard to hate a guy like that.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:19:15 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Stan Van Gundy has always been a favorite coach of mine.  Between the classy way he dealt with his dismissal in Miami, despite the fact he was royally screwed over, and the fact that he looks like Ron Jeremy, he has won a lot of points.  Combine that with the fact that he is a [dang] good coach, and I find it hard to hate a guy like that.

What a perfect summation.  I've got nothing to add to that.  TP, Chris.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tp for thr Ron Jeremy Line.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:47:55 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Quite a difference from someone like Phil Jackson who blames every loss on the officiating and never acknowledges the play of the other team.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:02:02 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

;D  ;D ;D  Oh man, TP for the Miami comment, and props for the Ron Jeremy comment.  That will have me chuckle all night long.

The Van Gundy brothers are quite the celeb look-a-likes: one looks like Ron Jeremy and the other like the ghost on the train in Ghost ("get off my traaaaiiiiin")
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:06:16 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Also, he's somewhat of a homer, being a coach for UMass-Lowell way back in the day (or so I've heard).
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
I played basketball against him twice in high school. He was an all district guard at about 5'8". He's about twice the size today....unfortunately he's still 5'8".
 :)

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline Locomotive Breath

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I love watching him coach during the game, such passion and animated gestures. He is great.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I played basketball against him twice in high school. He was an all district guard at about 5'8". He's about twice the size today....unfortunately he's still 5'8".

Did he already have the mustache?

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Thanks very funny and so true.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

Did he already have the mustache?

Don't remember if he had a moustache back then. It's been over 30 years now. I do remember him being a short skinny kid though. He was a good player but not sure if he deserved to be all district.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Had to bump this up for this quote, regarding Turkoglu's bankshot 3 with .3 seconds left that earned a 1 pt win over Portland (and so there's no confusion, this was VERY tongue-in-cheek).

"That was just brilliant, brilliant coaching down the stretch.  That is exactly the play we drew up, and we told him to shoot it off the glass if he could get the angle on it. That's exactly what we wanted, so I have to give myself all the credit."

I have to say I honestly like him more and more the longer he's in the league - he's one of the good guys in the league and I wish him as much success as possible without interfering with our own.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i love gundy... i think he did a great job in houston given their roster. if i had to choose between doc and stan, i might just pick him over doc.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Why do all the announcers around the league want someone to give KG a cheapshot? its rather annoying, KG is deffinetly getting a bad reputation around the league this year
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce