Author Topic: What high quality camcorder should I get?  (Read 1780 times)

What high quality camcorder should I get?
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:42:13 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I feel like I only post now for personal, not basketball related questions now-a-days. But you guys seem to have answers to all my questions so here I go:

I am a senior in high school, going to major in film. Currently looking to go to emerson in boston. (fingers crossed)

I'm looking for a high end camcorder that I would be able to use not only for my personal pleasure, but also for college application films, and my own movies, ect.

My price range is about 1,000-2,000. And I wanted to know if any of you had any positive or negative experiences with camera's in that price range.

Basically my only qualification is that the camera be 3-CCD, preferably mini-dv, but if any of you have high praise of a camera not mini-dv, any advice would be appreciated.

The camera that i'm currently looking at is a Panasonic Ag-DVX100B. Which is right at the top of my price range. Unfortunatly that camera does not have HD Capability, but is very high quality camera for its price tag, because of that fact.

My only hesitancy is that pretty much any high end camera coming out now is HD compatible, and that if I buy this camera all just have to buy a new one a few years down the road (darn you technology!!)

Any recomendations on what I should get?

Re: What high quality camcorder should I get?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 12:17:57 AM »

Offline democritic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
The DVX100 is a sick camera. I think that's your best bet. 24P is more important than HD.

HD is an evolving thing. You're not going to be able to touch film for definition, and you're not even going to get near RED definition at that price. For the real stuff that you want to look really good, it'll probably be best to rent. There's more to cameras than just the picture taking, a pro shoot will need a variety of lenses, at my college we use a 35mm adapter to make digital look more like film and it's gorgeous. And of course, film is just the best stuff to have, though it's expensive.

DVX will be a good camera to have around, but I wouldn't expect to rely on anything in the price range. You'd probably be better off getting a small light kit, or starting a sound set up at that price, though it depends what you want to do. If you're into DP work, it's good to have some good lights, sound is important but you're best just getting the highest quality you can (rent), throwing that stuff at some camera stabilization probably wouldn't hurt, and that's going to be useful wherever you are.

Blah... that's a lot of text. Hope it helps. Anyway, I've been in Burlington College for film up in Vermont for a little bit, hit me with any questions, and if you do settle in the New England area, let me know what you're up to. It's a who-you-know business after all.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:22:26 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'm a senior Broadcast major at BU. In your price range, I would recommend the Sony VX 2000. Small, good quality, easy to shoot stories with.

Good luck on Emerson - that's a great film program. The equipment it offers is top notch.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
The DVX100 is a sick camera. I think that's your best bet. 24P is more important than HD.

HD is an evolving thing. You're not going to be able to touch film for definition, and you're not even going to get near RED definition at that price. For the real stuff that you want to look really good, it'll probably be best to rent. There's more to cameras than just the picture taking, a pro shoot will need a variety of lenses, at my college we use a 35mm adapter to make digital look more like film and it's gorgeous. And of course, film is just the best stuff to have, though it's expensive.

DVX will be a good camera to have around, but I wouldn't expect to rely on anything in the price range. You'd probably be better off getting a small light kit, or starting a sound set up at that price, though it depends what you want to do. If you're into DP work, it's good to have some good lights, sound is important but you're best just getting the highest quality you can (rent), throwing that stuff at some camera stabilization probably wouldn't hurt, and that's going to be useful wherever you are.

Blah... that's a lot of text. Hope it helps. Anyway, I've been in Burlington College for film up in Vermont for a little bit, hit me with any questions, and if you do settle in the New England area, let me know what you're up to. It's a who-you-know business after all.
Do you have any recomendations on good places to rent a camcorder for a period of time. I'm sure its different by location, but how much would something like that run for.

It looks like it might just be more trouble then its worth. I'm going to need it for about 4 months, me and my film crew our shooting sort of a year long, feature length movie as a last hurrah, which we're pretty excited about.

Another thing I was looking to get was an Imac, and Final Cut Pro, so I could have my own little editing station.

Its all so expensive, which is something I'll just have to get used to i guess. haha

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum

Also in terms, of sound equipment, light equipment, tripods, and other necessities. Is there anything you would reccomend as really being worth the price, or that you could work without?

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

go old school: