Poll

What do you prefer to drink beer out of?

can
3 (10.7%)
bottle
5 (17.9%)
glass or mug
20 (71.4%)
whatever the new college toy thing is like a hose or whatever
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: What do you prefer to drink beer out of?  (Read 13004 times)

Re: What do you prefer to drink beer out of?
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'll have to pass on the question since I'm on Danny Ainge's team.   :)

im not on the same team as ainge, but i dont drink alcohol as well.

Sign me up with these guys.

Ok, so I'm not a drinker, so my question is: why don't people drink beer in a cup with a cover and straw?  Obvioulsy not talking about at the bar or at home, but like at a game, people always get beer in an open cup, but soda in a cup with a cover and a straw.  Wouldn't that help avoid all the spills I constantly see?  How much beer do you waste just walking to your seat?  Does it mess up the taste or something?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Ok, so I'm not a drinker, so my question is: why don't people drink beer in a cup with a cover and straw?  Obvioulsy not talking about at the bar or at home, but like at a game, people always get beer in an open cup, but soda in a cup with a cover and a straw.  Wouldn't that help avoid all the spills I constantly see?  How much beer do you waste just walking to your seat?  Does it mess up the taste or something?

You make a good point. I'd be willing to try it.

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 10:40:25 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Have you ever tried drinking beer through a straw?  It's surprisingly difficult.  I'm not sure if its the carbonation or what, but it's not much fun.  At Pacers games out here they serve it in a cup with a lid for transporting, but no straw.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 10:42:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Why isn't "brown paper bag" an option?

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I've had the honor of meeting craft-brewer extraordinaire Dann Paquette of Pretty Things beer on several occasions. Here are his recommendations:

It's not rare for people to ask me "Dann, how should I drink this beer"? Sometimes its because people see me pouring beer into a glass, even when the rest of the room is drinking from the bottle. Other times its because I don't want to drink a beer because it has been shaken up too much (yeasty), or it just doesn't look attractive to me.

But mostly it's because I'm the only brewer in the room.

I know what you're thinking - Paquette's filling our minds with his beer snobbery. Fair enough. But is it snobbery to turn down a cold plate of food at a restaurant? I think not!

As a brewer I know my job - make good beer. So I do my best to give you a beer that will not only taste great alone or with food, but also one that looks good. To me how a beer looks is almost as important as anything that was done in the brewery. Why? Because it's the final stage. It's what convinces you to actually insert it into your face, which is the whole point.
So here we go with my top beer drinking tips:

- Find a glass with a stem. That way the beer stays colder longer and you can look at the beer while you're drinking it. For cleaning's sake get one that you can easily reach the bottom of with a sponge or shammy.

- Don't mix your glasses. Milk for instance should never enter your beer glasses. Clean separately from dishes (if by hand).

- Clean, really clean your glass and rinse with hot water. Get a shammy to dry it off. Those big clinging bubbles will go away for good.

- Remember that beer-head is beer-beer. Make it grand. Jim Koch pours his beer right down the middle! So should we.

- If you pour half, wait for the head to set and then pour the rest - you'll be able to create a very impressive and lively looking head

- NO beer is less worthy than wine, and if you're drinking wine out of a cup, you're in trouble. So save your McDonald's giveaways for the kids' soda pop. No plastic!

- A second chance: if at first you don't succeed re-pour! That's right, even the worst pour can be poured again with frothy success!

- Beer & Food: beer goes great with all foods but great pairings are rarely obvious. Look to compliment the food's flavour rather than mimic it.

-Forget the mundane: you've made it this far, don't ruin your experience by simultaneously shopping for insurance on the internet.

- Beer is for fun and if the suggestions above won't enhance your fun then carry on as you were.

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Have you ever tried drinking beer through a straw?  It's surprisingly difficult.  I'm not sure if its the carbonation or what, but it's not much fun.  At Pacers games out here they serve it in a cup with a lid for transporting, but no straw.
What about those baseball caps with a beer attached and the tube going down and right into your face?   ;D

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »

Offline CbrewEra

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • LETS GO BOSTON
The Chuggler, a large 30 oz mug, that doubles as a funnel with a tube at the bottom that attaches back to the top. 
"He trades like a drunk Texas oilman trying to impress a beautiful woman"

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I tend to prefer draft beer, so I'll go with glass/mug.

I like draft beer too but I mainly drink at restaurants and many of them don't clean their beer lines on a regular basis. So I go for bottles a lot.

You know I have gotten a really bad stomach ache a few times drinking Bass draft, so I've pretty much given it up. I now wonder if it had something to do with the lines not being cleaned. I figure Bass isn't the biggest selling draft so maybe they don't clean the lines as often.

Don't be surprised. When I was younger I worked in a restaurant and they gave us pitchers of beer at the end of every night. Poeple had stomach problems on and off, but everyone assumed it had something to do with the seafood. I went back there about 6 months after I quit working there and had a beer in the bar. I sent it back after one sip because it tasted so bad. My wife (a nurse) said "now we know why everyone was sick last summer...".