Author Topic: What don't you understand and it bugs you?  (Read 32059 times)

Re: What don't you understand and it bugs you?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why does Canada have to change the rules to Football?  (yes, I am watching right now)

Why does the international basketball game have to change the rules (trapezoid)?

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
on the driving topic

people who text while driving, they endanger my life...not cool

and people who weave in and out of traffic, and tailgate, and basically act like jerks on the road, no need...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i do not understand traffic. mu wife just reminded me of that one. i mean, if there is an accident of something, or a lane is closed, i get it. but i do not understand why i hate to sit in traffic when there is no reason. everybody just drive and there would be no traffic. my wife says i go off on this rant whenever we are, you guessed it, stuck in traffic.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
on the driving topic

and people who weave in and out of traffic, and tailgate, and basically act like jerks on the road, no need...

I agree about that, but the traffic light thing is the worst because it is not supposed to be like that.   What people will do is get stuck at a red light and they think they are at a rest stop, when the light finally turns green they pause like 5 seconds and then very slowly proceed wasting even more time.  You may think it is only 15 seconds, but when it happens 20 times on one trip that adds up to 5 minutes, add that up once a day, and you are wasting 30 hours of your life a year.    The texting and on the phone, tailgating are big problems that are human error.  The traffic light thing is not human error it is mechanical, and I guarantee it wastes trillions of dollars.  

Also, people think they are smart when they let somebody go ahead of them, but if there are 6 drivers right behind you, you are not letting one person go ahead, you are wasting the time of 6 people behind you, it is crazy.  People do not know how to drive.  Speeding is always wrong, but besides speeding I would estimate that 90% of people on the road do not know how to drive.

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
i do not understand traffic. mu wife just reminded me of that one. i mean, if there is an accident of something, or a lane is closed, i get it. but i do not understand why i hate to sit in traffic when there is no reason. everybody just drive and there would be no traffic. my wife says i go off on this rant whenever we are, you guessed it, stuck in traffic.

You should see me, when I drive I am a complete cursing maniac.  Not on the road driving wise but complaining in the car. I am a safe driver and never speed.   

Traffic jams are bad do you know why? Because when cars are going 5 MPH people hold huge gaps in the traffic lanes.  How is anybody behind you supposed to get anywhere if there is 20 car lengths in between you and the next car and you are going 5 MPH? It happens all the time, I do not understand it.   When I am in a traffic jam I go close to the next car, not tailgating or right on their *zz but about 1 car length behind because we are only going 5 MPH and when I look behind in my rearview the car behind me is lightyears behind.

Recently I was at a light and the car ahead of me was holding this huge gap of maybe 8-10 car lenghts.  I signalled for the car to move ahead and they did not move.  So I passed them on the right.  Then this dude behind me pulled up on my left and started cursing then proceeded to pass every car before the light and when it turned green ended up passing everybody.  This jerk was getting mad at me for what? Putting my car in the huge available space that this idiot left in front of him at a red light? Makes no sense.

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 08:50:31 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Can't understand why Marijuana is illegal in the US (other than it's hard to tax) and why alcohol is legalized over that. Also cant understand exactly why the drinking age is 21, yet you can buy rifles at 18 and what's better than celebrating your 21st birthday with some vodka and a handgun?  ::)

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
What people have to do when they are driving with a lot of traffic is fill up the available space ahead of them.  What I like to do when driving is stay "in the bubble".  That means many cars are ahead of me and behind me but no body is side by side in multiple lanes.  That is where people mess up.   They drive side by side with someone, either go ahead or fall behind because that clogs up the lanes and can cause accidents, and traffic james, yet people don't understand it.

Like the tolls or even when you are shopping or going to the register.  Recently this person was at the dollar store and got like a hundred items and we are all sitting there waiting, when all the items are rung up the lady finally takes her wallet out and it is another 5 minutes waiting for her get the money out of her pocket. Ridiculous.  

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
on the driving topic

I agree about that, but the traffic light thing is the worst because it is not supposed to be like that.   What people will do is get stuck at a red light and they think they are at a rest stop, when the light finally turns green they pause like 5 seconds and then very slowly proceed wasting even more time.  You may think it is only 15 seconds, but when it happens 20 times on one trip that adds up to 5 minutes, add that up once a day, and you are wasting 30 hours of your life a year.    The texting and on the phone, tailgating are big problems that are human error.  The traffic light thing is not human error it is mechanical, and I guarantee it wastes trillions of dollars.  

Also, people think they are smart when they let somebody go ahead of them, but if there are 6 drivers right behind you, you are not letting one person go ahead, you are wasting the time of 6 people behind you, it is crazy.  People do not know how to drive.  Speeding is always wrong, but besides speeding I would estimate that 90% of people on the road do not know how to drive.

So you're saying that idling at traffic lights costs more per year than the entire Iraq war and the entire offensive in Afghanistan put together? Why? 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Can't understand why Marijuana is illegal in the US (other than it's hard to tax) and why alcohol is legalized over that. Also cant understand exactly why the drinking age is 21, yet you can buy rifles at 18 and what's better than celebrating your 21st birthday with some vodka and a handgun?  ::)

The fact that trees are still illegal, and guns and alcohol are not is the #1 worst thing for this country.  It wastes money and ruins people on a social level, especially young people.

If I were President, I'd change the traffic lights and legalize trees the country would save trillions of dollars, be more proficient and successful and have more time to relax.  I wouldn't even have to do anything else and I would be the greatest President of all-time.  Two simple things and the people in this country can't figure it out.   Traffic lights and trees.

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 08:55:45 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
on the driving topic

So you're saying that idling at traffic lights costs more per year than the entire Iraq war and the entire offensive in Afghanistan put together? Why? 

Yes because you are wasting gas and wasting time.   Multiply that by all the traffic lights and all the cars and that number is through the roof.  You might not think it is such a waste of gas, but when the light is green you can let the car roll and keep your foot off the gas.  When it turns red you have to break and then put your foot on the pedal again to get the car rolling.   

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
The 4th dimension... Never been able to grasp any explanation of it

I'm actually ok with the fourth dimension. It's that they've mathematically proven the existence of additional dimensions (up to 11 or 17 or something) that I really can't get in any concrete way.

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Why don't you write a letter to your congressman, then, if you feel so strongly about this?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why don't you write a letter to your congressman, then, if you feel so strongly about this?

That bugs me too.  Congressmen that don't read their fan mail.

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Traffic lights.   You will have a traffic light where 95% of the traffic is going north/south because it is a main road, and 5% of the traffic is going east/west, yet the green light will be on 60/40.   So at every red light 25 cars will pile up north/south waiting for the 1 or 2 cars going east/west.  Not only does it waste gas, it wastes time, which in turn wastes money.  Why they run traffic lights like that I have no idea.   It doesn't cut down on accidents it just wastes people's time.  

I don't know how many times I've been stuck at a red light with as many as 70 or 80 other drives, while one car comes in going east/west and breezes right through while 70 or 80 cars sit there waiting for the light to turn green.

Recently on a main road where I didn't make 1 turn, I got stuck at 8 consecutive red lights, that is ridiculous.   If you think about how many traffic lights there are in the country if they would make the red/green ratio be about the same as the amount of cars that pass each way, the amount of money this country could be saving has to be in the trillions, not the billions.  It is ridiculous.
Solution: roundabouts

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown

I was thinking about emailing a letter to Fox News.  The country is wasting billions of dollars on gas because of the way the traffic lights are run, no doubt about it.    If they can't figure it out themselves and I told them about it, they would probably not even listen to me.