Author Topic: What do you do for work?  (Read 32339 times)

Re: What do you do for work?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
I am a business redesign consultant. We analyze the way companies do work or there process, then we try to find a better way to do the work while cutting cost and improving capacity and efficieny.

Your name isnt Bob is it?

Strangely enough thats what my friends call me. When I try to explain to people I always start of with "have you ever seen office space"

After I posted taht I thought you might have heard it a few times.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I work for a company called PC Connection. I sell IT supplies.. At least i know this industry isn't going away..

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
Finishing my final year of law school. Hope to be practicing law five years from now....or not.

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2009, 03:06:03 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
I'm an Economics major in my second year at UMass Amherst.  In five years, it kinda depends - if I can get a job somewhere, then great, but I'd be open to graduate school if the market is still bad.

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Accountant who took a year off and is currently a full-time student finishing my Masters in Taxation at Bentley.  Will be done in August.

After that, trying to figure where I'll be working and where I'll be living.  Pretty big question marks right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Project Director
Private consultant office owner
Constructor
investor
Blog Moderator

In five years hopefully I will be.

Project Director
Private consultant office owner
Constructor
Consoultant
Blog Moderator

or

Retired in Utila, teaching scuba and fishing for my food.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Working as a researcher and consultant for a national non-profit/think tank right now, so I write a lot, travel some, and occasionally get called as an expert witness and have to testify in front of state legislatures, which is cool.  

In 5 years I'm looking to do more consulting and possibly latch on either with a university in an AD role, or with a professional sports league as a lobbyist (the UFC 4-5 years ago would have been perfect...now I'm not so sure that role needs to be filled...)

Ever come down to the Georgia General Assembly?  I was a "legislative liaison" (internal lobbyist) for about 10 years.

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Finishing my final year of law school. Hope to be practicing law five years from now....or not.

For your sake I hope you've found something better in 5 years!

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

The 3L's I know aren't very optimistic about the job market right now. Many of them are taking 2L summer jobs..

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I'm an electrician in the Washington DC Union.  I'm also a fire alarm technician, I install and help maintain the fire alarm systems in a lot of the building for the DC government, as well as in Maryland and Virginia.

In five years Im hopin to to have my Master Electricians License and my Nicet Level 4 (fire alarm) license, which would open up a lot of options for me, including starting my own company.
Greg

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I like to call myself a technical wordsmith...but I'm more commonly known as a patent attorney.

At some point, maybe not in the next 5 years, I might like to be an entrepreneur of some sort.

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am Crotor.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »

Offline chicagogreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 30
great question, nice to know about each other over this slow time

i bartend, have done so for about ten years in evanston illinois, went from boston/lynn to northwestern and then couldn't afford to move back home, real estate boom and all

curently in a masters program for library and information science at U of I, really excited about it

i also play way too much pool

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm an electrician in the Washington DC Union.  I'm also a fire alarm technician, I install and help maintain the fire alarm systems in a lot of the building for the DC government, as well as in Maryland and Virginia.

In five years Im hopin to to have my Master Electricians License and my Nicet Level 4 (fire alarm) license, which would open up a lot of options for me, including starting my own company.

President of a company that manufactures a one-of-a-kind product for the fire & security industry.  I work with specifiers, regulators, government agencies, nationwide alarm integrators, insurance regulators and of course end users. 

You guys should hang out.

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
social worker

Big TP for doing one of the most difficult, underappreciated jobs out there.  In between undergrad and grad school I spent 2 years as a research assistant at a social work center that also had grants for research.  It was very rewarding, but also very difficult to see both the families that were tearing themselves apart with addictions and violence, and the ones that worked their behinds off just to make ends meet.  And I didn't even deal directly with the families that often. 

We paid $20 a research visit, and some of the moms had us drop their kids off at home and then take them straight to the crack house, and some of them used it to get their power turned back on in January.  Both situations were tough to see and think about (harder to live through, of course).  Congrats for staying out there and sticking with it.

thanks for the TP.  it is a rewarding, yet frustrating job.....but i have always enjoyed it