Author Topic: Uh oh.. Suns may go after Smart  (Read 5548 times)

Re: Uh oh.. Suns may go after Smart
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Looks like Fred Van Fleet may be heading to Phoenix..no doubt he be starting PG

Link?  I expected them to land FVV ahead of Smart. Toronto can't afford to match any more salary.  and FVV is a better fit offensively, and gets an opportunity to start with Knight's health issues.  I believe this takes them out of the running for a near max offer for someone like Aaron Gordon or Jabari Parker.

Feeling confident that Smart returns on a team friendly deal.  Indy is the only concern.

I have Phoenix at around $34 million, so they could do Van Vleet and one other major free agent.  Glad to see FVV is getting paid — he was someone I wanted with one of our picks in the 50s a couple of years ago.  Too bad we wound up with Nader instead.  (The biggest “too bad” is that 2-way contracts didn’t come until a year later, since Ainge picked Nader in part because he agreed to go straight to the D league for a year.)

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
it'd be a waste for the suns and smart.

smart needs to go to a contender otherwise he'll just be another player.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
it'd be a waste for the suns and smart.

smart needs to go to   stay with a contender otherwise he'll just be another player.

FIFY

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2018, 07:05:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
My hope is the Suns trade the pick they got from Milwaukee for Bledsoe to the Lakers for Ball, as the Lakers clear max cap room for both LeBron and PG13.  I’ve nervously watched the Suns as a potential Smart destination.  I also want Lonzo and Lavar out of a major media market.  (And I think on-court he’s actually be a very good fit for Phoenix.)
I can't imagine coming off of a 10/7/7 rookie season, Ball's value is so low that a mid 1st round pick is all he is worth.  I get the larger idea of clearing cap room, but still that seems way to low.

More realistically they could get Ball with their own pick. Or the better of the two picks.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Looks like Fred Van Fleet may be heading to Phoenix..no doubt he be starting PG

Link?  I expected them to land FVV ahead of Smart. Toronto can't afford to match any more salary.  and FVV is a better fit offensively, and gets an opportunity to start with Knight's health issues.  I believe this takes them out of the running for a near max offer for someone like Aaron Gordon or Jabari Parker.

Feeling confident that Smart returns on a team friendly deal.  Indy is the only concern.

I have Phoenix at around $34 million, so they could do Van Vleet and one other major free agent.  Glad to see FVV is getting paid — he was someone I wanted with one of our picks in the 50s a couple of years ago.  Too bad we wound up with Nader instead.  (The biggest “too bad” is that 2-way contracts didn’t come until a year later, since Ainge picked Nader in part because he agreed to go straight to the D league for a year.)

Yeah, I had $34.9 below the luxury tax if they renounced Peyton, Len, Williams, and Ulis.  Assuming they keep Harrison and Reed.  Not sure I'd be comfortable shelling out enough for Gordon to make Orlando sweat, and Parker is too big of a gamble, but I think McDonough needs to win now if he's going to keep his job.  Maybe you should apply.

In the hypothetical that they signed FVV and a near-max FA, would they not need to sign the near-max first and then add FVV using an exception?

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
My hope is the Suns trade the pick they got from Milwaukee for Bledsoe to the Lakers for Ball, as the Lakers clear max cap room for both LeBron and PG13.  I’ve nervously watched the Suns as a potential Smart destination.  I also want Lonzo and Lavar out of a major media market.  (And I think on-court he’s actually be a very good fit for Phoenix.)
I can't imagine coming off of a 10/7/7 rookie season, Ball's value is so low that a mid 1st round pick is all he is worth.  I get the larger idea of clearing cap room, but still that seems way to low.

The Bucks pick has some interesting protections on it (only conveys 4-16 next year) and accordingly will either likely be a lottery pick or not convey at all until the following year with just.  And Ball has a lot of baggage — I can’t see a lot teams being willing to sign up for it.  The Spurs aren’t going to want him as part of a Kawhi deal, for example, and I also can see trading Ball as a pre-requisite for LeBron to sign in LA.

That's actually a nice pick.  If it doesn't convey next year, it's only top 7 protected in 2020 and (unprotected '21).  Not sure how likely it is that the Bucks become a lotto team in a year, though.  I'm assuming you expect Middleton to opt out and head for greener pastures?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC