Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 232802 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #2040 on: May 19, 2019, 07:40:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I love Draymond Green so much. Absolutely awesome player. He does so much to help his team without needing to monopolize the ball on offense. A rare treasure. Does not get enough credit for how good a player he is.

Top 10 player in NBA for my money.
Do you really think he is a top 10 player?  I mean have you really thought about it.  I like what Draymond does for a team, but I just don't see him anywhere near that level of player.

Yes. He does so much without eating up shots or monopolizing time on the ball. That allows you to put other player around him who do those things.

I think Draymond is an easier player to build around than someone like Kyrie or Lillard.
maybe but I don't think they are top 10 players either.  And I say maybe because green cant score and you do still need that.  Green is more a 2 or 3 guy to me. Great player to have does all of the dirty work, but I don't even know if a team with him as the best player even makes the playoffs in the east let alone west

Not about Draymond. Just an aside, I am interested who are your top ten players if Lillard and Kyrie are not in it?

Kawhi, LeBron, Durant. Giannis. Steph Curry. Harden. Anthony Davis.

Probably Embiid, Jokic & Paul George.

Jimmy Butler? Russell Westbrook? Towns? Oladipo? Klay? CP3? Doncic?

------------------------------------

I would go with Draymond over the last line & P.George.

Maybe over Embiid too - despite the clear advantage in talent Embiid has over Draymond ... I am unsure. Embiid is too undependable. Too many missed games. Questionable conditioning late in games two years running in the playoffs. Questionable decision making, shot selection and overall basketball maturity. That is a tough one for me. Not sure.

-------------------------

I am higher on Draymond's scoring ability. I think he could comfortably score in the mid to high teens if given more of the ball which he would have on his own team. It doesn't make sense for him to do that on a team with Steph and Klay (and now Durant) because those guys are better scorers than Draymond.

I think Draymond is a solid to good scorer. Someone who can get in that 16-20ppg range on a team where he is more of a go-to guy on offense. That combined with his passing, ball-handling, rebounding, individual and team defense makes him one heck of a difference maker in my eyes.

That is why I rate him so highly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:26:24 PM by Who »

« Reply #2041 on: May 19, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Am I seeing things? 3 min to go in the 3rd quarter and Antetokounmpo doesn't have a single free throw?  :o :o :o :o :o ???

6 points for Antetokounmpo, 3-8, 0-3 from the field and 0-0 free throws  :o

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2042 on: May 19, 2019, 08:47:29 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Just tuned in,

commentators said Kawhi has a leg injury from the first quarter and couldn’t accelerate to contest the Brogdon fast break layup? Wow

« Reply #2043 on: May 19, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Yeah Kawhi doesn’t look right

They’re saying they have no official word on his injury status as long as he’s still in the game, and that he’ll be evaluated later??

« Reply #2044 on: May 19, 2019, 08:56:25 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

They’re saying they have no official word on his injury status as long as he’s still in the game, and that he’ll be evaluated later??

Giannis doesn't look right.

« Reply #2045 on: May 19, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I love Draymond Green so much. Absolutely awesome player. He does so much to help his team without needing to monopolize the ball on offense. A rare treasure. Does not get enough credit for how good a player he is.

Top 10 player in NBA for my money.
Do you really think he is a top 10 player?  I mean have you really thought about it.  I like what Draymond does for a team, but I just don't see him anywhere near that level of player.

Yes. He does so much without eating up shots or monopolizing time on the ball. That allows you to put other player around him who do those things.

I think Draymond is an easier player to build around than someone like Kyrie or Lillard.
maybe but I don't think they are top 10 players either.  And I say maybe because green cant score and you do still need that.  Green is more a 2 or 3 guy to me. Great player to have does all of the dirty work, but I don't even know if a team with him as the best player even makes the playoffs in the east let alone west

Not about Draymond. Just an aside, I am interested who are your top ten players if Lillard and Kyrie are not in it?

Kawhi, LeBron, Durant. Giannis. Steph Curry. Harden. Anthony Davis.

Probably Embiid, Jokic & Paul George.

Jimmy Butler? Russell Westbrook? Towns? Oladipo? Klay? CP3? Doncic?

------------------------------------

I would go with Draymond over the last line & P.George.

Maybe over Embiid too - despite the clear advantage in talent Embiid has over Draymond ... I am unsure. Embiid is too undependable. Too many missed games. Questionable conditioning late in games two years running in the playoffs. Questionable decision making, shot selection and overall basketball maturity. That is a tough one for me. Not sure.

-------------------------

I am higher on Draymond's scoring ability. I think he could comfortably score in the mid to high teens if given more of the ball which he would have on his own team. It doesn't make sense for him to do that on a team with Steph and Klay (and now Durant) because those guys are better scorers than Draymond.

I think Draymond is a solid to good scorer. Someone who can get in that 16-20ppg range on a team where he is more of a go-to guy on offense. That combined with his passing, ball-handling, rebounding, individual and team defense makes him one heck of a difference maker in my eyes.

That is why I rate him so highly.
Paul George is going to finish 3rd in MVP voting (well no worse than 3rd, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't 3rd) and probably in the top 5 for DPOY.  He, imo, is so much better than Draymond that I'm honestly struggling to see how anyone can think Draymond is better.  I mean Draymond, despite playing on a team with Curry, Klay, and Durant (the last 2 seasons) has only had a TS% above 55% twice in his career.  He just isn't an efficient scorer and that is as a 3rd or 4th option (at best) his entire career.  He peaked at 14 a game when he had an abnormally great shooting season (I mean his career high in 3PT% by over 5%).  He is a very good passer, solid rebounder, and excellent defender, but I just can't put a guy that is so horrible at putting the ball in the hoop anywhere near the top 10 and I really don't think if he was a 1st or 2nd option it would improve his efficiency, if anything his lack of efficiency would be more glaring and more problematic.

As for my top 10

Giannis, Durant, Lebron, Curry, Leonard, Embiid, Davis, George, Harden, and Jokic (that is roughly in order though I didn't give it a ton of thought)

I'd also probably have Westbrook, Butler, Towns, and Oladipo ahead of Lillard and Irving (that is a probably).  When healthy I'd have Cousins ahead of them as well (though his health may never happen again).  I think you could make arguments on someone like Beal and/or Griffin.  Then you have young guys like Doncic, Simmons, Ayton, and Mitchell who as early as next year might eclipse them.  Someone like Gobert, who in a vacuum may not be better, but also may be a much better fit on your team as anchor in the middle.  I think Green is in that category with Gobert (very similar to Horford as well, though Horford is obviously aging).  Not better than Irving or Lillard in a vacuum, but might be a much better piece to have on your team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2046 on: May 19, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker

But giannis is not Injured is he? Giannis is still attacking the paint and crashing into players, Kawhi has very little lift or burst

« Reply #2047 on: May 19, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

But giannis is not Injured is he? Giannis is still attacking the paint and crashing into players, Kawhi has very little lift or burst

I don’t think he’s injured, what i meant is he doesn’t look like his usual self.

« Reply #2048 on: May 19, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Lowry just fouled out with 6 mins left

« Reply #2049 on: May 19, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Didn't watch the first 3 quarters, but I noticed that Giannis had 0 free throws through 3 quarters.  What is Toronto doing defensively that we didn't?  And what's happening differently in this 4th quarter where all of a sudden Giannis is getting to the FT line?  5 attempts in less than 6 minutes of game time this quarter.

« Reply #2050 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Didn't watch the first 3 quarters, but I noticed that Giannis had 0 free throws through 3 quarters.  What is Toronto doing defensively that we didn't?  And what's happening differently in this 4th quarter where all of a sudden Giannis is getting to the FT line?  5 attempts in less than 6 minutes of game time this quarter.
Kawhi’s been his primary defender for most of the night. Done a really good job.

The officiating standards have changed though. This quarter has sucked
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2051 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

NBA refs are great at their jobs...

« Reply #2052 on: May 19, 2019, 09:23:08 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Kawhi’s been his primary defender for most of the night. Done a really good job.

TP, thanks.  There's some cheap fouls being called on both sides down the stretch here.

« Reply #2053 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker

TP, thanks.  There's some cheap fouls being called on both sides down the stretch here.

For sure, questionable calls both ways

« Reply #2054 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Brogdon is unbelievably good at reverse layups for some reason, on both sides of the backboard.  He's able to squeeze the ball in from tough angles even when there's a defender right on him and it looks like he doesn't have a shot.