Author Topic: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?  (Read 30597 times)

Re: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2019, 09:00:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
First renounce Horford/Irving/Morris/Rozier/Gibson/Larkin/Hunter.

If my calculations are correct that will leave us with exactly 31,87 million in capspace. I want to use that money to improve our frontcourt. I'd sign Julius Randle for 80/4 (20 million a year) and go after Thomas Bryant.

Edit: didn't know about Gilbert Arenas provision, so Wizards will very likely match any normal offer for Bryant

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/after-breakout-season-thomas-bryant-wants-stay-wizards-why-would-i-want-leave

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-gilbert-arenas-provision.html

There's the possibility of clearing more cap room (renounce Theis, Wanamaker, Dozier / trade Yabusele), but I don't think that's necessary. In that case I want to resign Theis, Wanamaker and Dozier for small deals. I'd like some continuity and experience on the team, both Wanamaker and Theis have shown to be capable back-up NBA-players. There are minutes and opportunities on this team for our rookies and young guys. Could be nice to see who will take advantage. The roster:

PG: Marcus Smart / Carsen Edwards / Brad Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / PJ Dozier
SF: Jayson Tatum / Gordon Hayward / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Julius Randle / Grant Williams / Guerschon Yabusele
C: Thomas Bryant ?? / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams

you backload the contract and Wizards cannot match as they would go deep into lux tax with Walls syupid salary, beals extension and a backloaded bryant contract?

No chance they take that on.

4 year 50 mill. Starting at 9.5 or whatever it is, then years 3 and 4 have the contract jump to 15 mill/year.

they wont match that, at it is essentially paying 12.5 mill per season.
But there's absolutely no guarantee Bryant is worth that money. He's had one solid, not good, season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
First renounce Horford/Irving/Morris/Rozier/Gibson/Larkin/Hunter.

If my calculations are correct that will leave us with exactly 31,87 million in capspace. I want to use that money to improve our frontcourt. I'd sign Julius Randle for 80/4 (20 million a year) and go after Thomas Bryant.

Edit: didn't know about Gilbert Arenas provision, so Wizards will very likely match any normal offer for Bryant

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/after-breakout-season-thomas-bryant-wants-stay-wizards-why-would-i-want-leave

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-gilbert-arenas-provision.html

There's the possibility of clearing more cap room (renounce Theis, Wanamaker, Dozier / trade Yabusele), but I don't think that's necessary. In that case I want to resign Theis, Wanamaker and Dozier for small deals. I'd like some continuity and experience on the team, both Wanamaker and Theis have shown to be capable back-up NBA-players. There are minutes and opportunities on this team for our rookies and young guys. Could be nice to see who will take advantage. The roster:

PG: Marcus Smart / Carsen Edwards / Brad Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / PJ Dozier
SF: Jayson Tatum / Gordon Hayward / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Julius Randle / Grant Williams / Guerschon Yabusele
C: Thomas Bryant ?? / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams

you backload the contract and Wizards cannot match as they would go deep into lux tax with Walls syupid salary, beals extension and a backloaded bryant contract?

No chance they take that on.

4 year 50 mill. Starting at 9.5 or whatever it is, then years 3 and 4 have the contract jump to 15 mill/year.

they wont match that, at it is essentially paying 12.5 mill per season.

That's going to be expensive for the Wizards, but I think they'll still match it for that price.
Bryant was their second best player after Wall got injured.

They can take advantage of the first two years and then trade Bryant (or Wall or Beal).
I think that's better for them than letting him walk for nothing.

If not I would gladly sign Bryant for 50/4.

« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2019, 09:30:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Danny is bringing back Rozier.
He will use cap space to offer Vucevic a contract first. Then he will re-sign Rozier using Bird rights.
Use the Room Exception on Ed Davis.
Sign Zaza Pachulia Jared Dudley with vet min contracts

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley
Hayward/Davis/Yabusele/GWilliams
Vucevic/Pachulia/RWilliams

You are vastly under-rating GWilliams usage if you peg him as 4th string Power Forward. See him first 4 off bench, and maybe gets some starts.
Yeah, especially not behind Yabu
No he has it, as GW will likely be in Maine for maximum playing time. I believe it's the C's MO unless there are injuries.

« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2019, 09:38:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
He will use cap space to offer Vucevic a contract first. Then he will re-sign Rozier using Bird rights.

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

You are vastly under-rating GWilliams usage if you peg him as 4th string Power Forward. See him first 4 off bench, and maybe gets some starts.
No he has it, as GW will likely be in Maine for maximum playing time. I believe it's the C's MO unless there are injuries.
I think that's a completely inaccurate assessment of Williams' ability to contribute immediately.

« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

I think that's a completely inaccurate assessment of Williams' ability to contribute immediately.
It could be. I just know C's said they would have done the same with Tatum if not for the Gordon injury. They want guys to get playing time and Red Claws offer plenty of it.

« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

It could be. I just know they said they would have done the same with Tatum if not for the Gordon injury. They want guys to get playing time and Red Claws offer plenty of it.
No they wouldn't have. Do you know how much Rob Williams played in the G League last year? You can count the number of games he played in Maine on one hand.

« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2019, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
brogdan starting at the max 27.2 with 5% decreases, last year could be player option, works at to be 4 years 100 million with the last year player option for $19 million

jamychal green with the rest of the cap room, wouldn't mind mirotic as an alternative (basically raid the bucks)

richaun holmes with room exception.

Tatum    Hayward   Ojeyele
Green    Williams    Yabusele 
Holmes  Theis        Willams
Brogdan Smart      Edwards
Brown    Langford  Wannamaker

Yabu might be stretched/traded away to create cap room and not on the roster, would like to sign Edwards using cap room

« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

Well the roster I created is made for some flexibility and that flexibility places Edwards, both Williams and Langford in Maine an awful lot

Starters could be

Rozier/Brown/Tatum/Davis/Vucevic with

Hayward/Smart/Pachulia/Dudley/Ojeleye/Yabusele being the rotation with bench players getting minutes in the order I placed them. You can mess around a bit with who starts and who plays with who, but it still puts the young guys mostly in Maine until they are needed due to injury or a player just not earning the time.

I think it was a mistake last season not to have the 15th spot be a big so the team could have had Timelord in Maine all season working on his game and his body with real competitive basketball. Instead he spent so much of the season as the team's 12th man that never played and never developed. It was a wasted year. Those young guys have to be getting run, if for no other reason as to get their bodies acclimated to having to play 20-30 minutes of their best basketball up to 100 times a year.

« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2019, 10:15:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

Well the roster I created is made for some flexibility and that flexibility places Edwards, both Williams and Langford in Maine an awful lot

Starters could be

Rozier/Brown/Tatum/Davis/Vucevic with

Hayward/Smart/Pachulia/Dudley/Ojeleye/Yabusele being the rotation with bench players getting minutes in the order I placed them. You can mess around a bit with who starts and who plays with who, but it still puts the young guys mostly in Maine until they are needed due to injury or a player just not earning the time.

I think it was a mistake last season not to have the 15th spot be a big so the team could have had Timelord in Maine all season working on his game and his body with real competitive basketball. Instead he spent so much of the season as the team's 12th man that never played and never developed. It was a wasted year. Those young guys have to be getting run, if for no other reason as to get their bodies acclimated to having to play 20-30 minutes of their best basketball up to 100 times a year.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree with the second point. It did my head in seeing Timelord only play 5 games in the G-League.

I just think Grant Williams will be a better contributor from the get-go than Yabusele and Ojeleye will be, and might even be better than Dudley. I'm very high on him though, and think he's one of the most NBA-ready guys around. I think his rookie season could be very similar to Rondo's, in terms of MPG. That's all dependent on what we do in free agency though.

« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Now that the draft is done, I think we can get a bit closer to the realistic aspect of the question.

I fully expect us to pursue D'Angelo Russell in free agency. He's an All-Star PG, which is a position of need for us, and he fully fits the timeline we're seemingly pursuing. Much more so than guys like Kemba or Vucevic. I then seeing us bringing in a Dedmon/Bryant type big man. Probably a guy like Bryant, because of his age. I also see us adding a 3&D wing to round out our bench. Someone like Ennis or Darius Miller.

I think, and hope, we roll out with:

PG: D'Angelo Russell / Marcus Smart / Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / Carsen Edwards
SF: Jayson Tatum / Darius Miller / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Gordon Hayward / Grant Williams / Robert Williams
C: Thomas Bryant / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams
Love you Gouki, but I hope Hayward/Tatum/Brown don't start at PF after last year's fiasco. We need some more size in the frontcourt, and I'd rather Hayward be our sixth man while we use the room exception to sign a real PF ala Markieff.

I rather not pay Hayward $120M to come off the bench. He needs to be slotted back into the starting lineup next season. Either Brown gets traded or all three of them start SG/SF/PF.
Ah the "HURR DURR 30 MILLION SIXTH MAN" argument again! I guess we all love banging our heads against a brick wall over and over again by playing wings that really can't play at PF full time. And major lol at trading Brown, he was our best young player last season after accepting his role. If Ainge trades Brown to accommodate Hayward in this rebuild he should get fired, unless Hayward shows that he's back to prime Utah Hayward.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Now that the draft is done, I think we can get a bit closer to the realistic aspect of the question.

I fully expect us to pursue D'Angelo Russell in free agency. He's an All-Star PG, which is a position of need for us, and he fully fits the timeline we're seemingly pursuing. Much more so than guys like Kemba or Vucevic. I then seeing us bringing in a Dedmon/Bryant type big man. Probably a guy like Bryant, because of his age. I also see us adding a 3&D wing to round out our bench. Someone like Ennis or Darius Miller.

Love you Gouki, but I hope Hayward/Tatum/Brown don't start at PF after last year's fiasco. We need some more size in the frontcourt, and I'd rather Hayward be our sixth man while we use the room exception to sign a real PF ala Markieff.

I rather not pay Hayward $120M to come off the bench. He needs to be slotted back into the starting lineup next season. Either Brown gets traded or all three of them start SG/SF/PF.
Ah the "HURR DURR 30 MILLION SIXTH MAN" argument again! I guess we all love banging our heads against a brick wall over and over again by playing wings that really can't play at PF full time. And major lol at trading Brown, he was our best young player last season after accepting his role. If Ainge trades Brown to accommodate Hayward in this rebuild he should get fired, unless Hayward shows that he's back to prime Utah Hayward.
I think a lack of play-making in some of our units last season was much more of a problem than not having a genuine PF was. Unless Tatum and Brown are on their way to improving significantly as passers then we need someone who can play-make alongside them. Smart is not enough by himself, and if it's Terry (yikes) then we definitely need a secondary playmaker.

« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2019, 10:27:03 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I think with the loss of Horford we need some passing in our starting lineup. Russell isn't an especially good passer, so we need to have one guy who prefers passing to shooting for me
That's true. Not a huge fan of Russell's game though, he's a poor man's Kyrie with a bit more size (although he doesn't use it lol). I'd rather sign Randle with most of the cap space and try to get Dedmon to fill out the frontcourt, then try and get a Rubio type of player to come over on a Turner type of deal (short term room exception type). If that doesn't work play Hayward at PG.
PG: Hayward/Smart/Edwards
/Waters
SG: Brown/Langford/Dozier
SF: Tatum/Semi
PF: Randle/G Williams/Yabu
C: Dedmon/min guy (eg R Lopez)/R Williams
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think with the loss of Horford we need some passing in our starting lineup. Russell isn't an especially good passer, so we need to have one guy who prefers passing to shooting for me
That's true. Not a huge fan of Russell's game though, he's a poor man's Kyrie with a bit more size (although he doesn't use it lol). I'd rather sign Randle with most of the cap space and try to get Dedmon to fill out the frontcourt, then try and get a Rubio type of player to come over on a Turner type of deal (short term room exception type). If that doesn't work play Hayward at PG.
/Waters
This is actually something I've considered too. I think Dedmon could go next to Randle because he can shoot, and I reckon JB could cover most point guard's in the league.

I dunno how likely it is, but I wouldn't mind it. Randle is also a pretty good passer for a big

« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

/Waters
This is actually something I've considered too. I think Dedmon could go next to Randle because he can shoot, and I reckon JB could cover most point guard's in the league.

I dunno how likely it is, but I wouldn't mind it. Randle is also a pretty good passer for a big
Absolutely. It gives Hayward the keys to prove that he's not washed up and has enough playmaking on the court (Hayward is fine as a primary playmaker, while Brown/Tatum/Randle can take turns as a secondary playmaker). It'd also be a very oversized starting lineup, which could open up opportunities for us in taking advantage of smaller teams, or match up better against bigger teams.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »

Offline soboston

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Not sure if it has been brought up, but maybe a trade for Dennis Smith Jr and try and go after Porzingis along with Thomas Bryant if feasible in free agency.