Poll

Should we tank?

Yes
1 (5.9%)
No
16 (94.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Should we tank?  (Read 997 times)

Should we tank?
« on: June 19, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Let's face it, next year’s championship has nothing to do with us. Even if Hayward fully recovers, and that is a big if, we are a first round team at best, how about tank for a year, trade Hayward and two picks for a future pick, let J & J have their shots, and wait for the year after.

Re: Should we tank?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 05:29:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Memphis is tanking for us

After the Conley trade, that Memphis pick is 24 carat Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:53:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
How about......no.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 06:02:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Soft tank.  Focus on developing the young (under 25) guys.

In a few years when Tatum and Brown are in their prime and locked up on their second deals, look at our options for trying to go for deep playoff runs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Despite the soon to be (expected) defections, this team is too good to tank. 

They have the pieces in place (Brown & Tatum) to start building something.   They don't need to bottom out. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:18:13 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Posted this on another thread. I don't understand some of the wrist slitting that's going on. Some people are finding it hard to deal with the shock that some players don't want to play here. Sure we're most likely losing Kyrie and Al. But talk of blowing it up because we're losing 2 players who don't think they can win here? When a year ago everyone was high on Jaylen, Jayson and Terry? When we have a vet in Hayward who should be better after a full offseason and who should be a tradable asset as an expiring at the end of the year?

Sure it sucks that there are players who rejected us and don't want to play here, but we're hardly in a position where we need to wring our hands and undergo a full rebuild. We have assets, maybe not to make a deal now but we're in a position to make a deal if something comes up. We can moan about how Danny never uses them but at least we have them, other teams don't. There's a lot of teams that would want to be in our position, not having to tear everything down.

I understand the championship or bust scenario in the NBA today but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
LOL ...

Im standing on ledge Danny

either quit or get us a bloody center man!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
I don't trust Tatum to develop well on a losing team. He has too many issues in terms of shot selection and maintaining defensive effort to be in a losing environment where he isn't being held to a higher stand.

So I think it's very important Boston continues to try and be a good basketball team (45 win type) over tanking and becoming a 30 win type team ... in order to develop Tatum properly.

I am not worried about Jaylen Brown. That guy takes care of business. High effort player. Great work ethic. I trust him.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Posted this on another thread. I don't understand some of the wrist slitting that's going on. Some people are finding it hard to deal with the shock that some players don't want to play here. Sure we're most likely losing Kyrie and Al. But talk of blowing it up because we're losing 2 players who don't think they can win here? When a year ago everyone was high on Jaylen, Jayson and Terry? When we have a vet in Hayward who should be better after a full offseason and who should be a tradable asset as an expiring at the end of the year?

Sure it sucks that there are players who rejected us and don't want to play here, but we're hardly in a position where we need to wring our hands and undergo a full rebuild. We have assets, maybe not to make a deal now but we're in a position to make a deal if something comes up. We can moan about how Danny never uses them but at least we have them, other teams don't. There's a lot of teams that would want to be in our position, not having to tear everything down.

I understand the championship or bust scenario in the NBA today but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

We don’t have to throw anything out, just don’t sign any more average players to long term deals. Let J&J have their shots, even though it costs us games. To make it easy we can sign Rozier back, that alone might take us to the lottery..

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

100%.  TP

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 06:59:19 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

We don’t have to throw anything out, just don’t sign any more average players to long term deals. Let J&J have their shots, even though it costs us games. To make it easy we can sign Rozier back, that alone might take us to the lottery..

That is why doing the deal with OKC for S. Adams makes so much sense.  Get a pick or two from them, get a great def center for a couple of years to hold us over, and have a real asset to trade if he doesn't work out. 

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 07:00:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Tank for what? So we can get a good pick or two down the line? No thanks.

It may have made sense at the beginning of the decade when we had all of Brooklyn's picks to combine with our own, but we've got Memphis and, well, that's about it. And after my experience with Sacramento's pick this year, I'm not counting on that one, either.

No thanks, the Celtics don't tank.

Mike