Author Topic: Will Indy Beat us in First Round?  (Read 6529 times)

Re: Will Indy Beat us in First Round?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Indy goes 1-3 last week.

Celtics: Hold my beer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 12:59:55 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Hard to say, but right now I'd wager Indiana winning the series, regardless of who has home court.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One thing we know about this Celtics team -- they will fold as soon as they encounter adversity.

We do? What a wild and unfounded statement disguised as collective agreement of fact.

Have you ... Watched them this season?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
One thing we know about this Celtics team -- they will fold as soon as they encounter adversity.

We do? What a wild and unfounded statement disguised as collective agreement of fact.

I think you're making a gross simplistic blanket statement here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Look, if Boston can't beat this Oladipo-less Pacers team without home court advantage, they aren't going to stand a chance against the superior teams above them in the standings... so I don't really care if we putter out over the remainder of this regular season.  Regardless of seed, we SHOULD dominate the Pacers...

... That said...

If you're the type of person who -

1 - Thought we'd be a juggernaut this year based on our ability to take LeBron to 7 games in the playoffs last year.

2 - Thinks Boston is better off without our star guard - as shown in our ability to take LeBron to 7 games in the playoffs last year.

... Well then, strap yourself in for this mind-bender.

The Pacers took LeBron to 7 games in the playoffs last year too.  In-fact, what they did was actually more impressive.  Their only losses to the Cavs came by 3, 4, 3 and 4 points.  They had two victories by 18 and 34 points.   In the 7 games, the Pacers actually outscored the Cavs 704 to 664.

Compare that to Boston, who lost games by 30, 9, 20 and 8 points.   In 7 games, LeBron and the Cavs outscored the Celtics 683 to 677.

By that math, the Pacers (who won 48 games) were actually better than the Celtics (who post-Kyrie injury played at a 48 win pace).

Now, factor in the fact that the Pacers will be missing their star guard... and how ya'll feel about teams being better without their star guards...   Ya'll should be deftly afraid of the Pacers.
Interesting stats!

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
based on how the C's are playing currently, yes, Indy beats us.  I thought the C's would get it together down the home stretch of the season but I was very mistaken. 

that said, if the C's are (A) healthy and (B) making a fair percentage of their jumpers, C's can beat anyone.  The key all season has been getting everyone to play and not breaking the backboard and rim with bricks.  if they're shooting decently, they tend to get in a good defensive mindset as well

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

All season long a characteristic of this team has been that they allow a game to get away from them when the other team goes on a run.

Things get tough, the other team gets hot, and the game is suddenly out of hand.

It all comes back to the same thing, which is that this team lacks the discipline and trust to continue playing the right way when they're down by a lot or up by a lot.

I don't see how there can be any controversy about this. That's the team we've been following all season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

All season long a characteristic of this team has been that they allow a game to get away from them when the other team goes on a run.

Things get tough, the other team gets hot, and the game is suddenly out of hand.

It all comes back to the same thing, which is that this team lacks the discipline and trust to continue playing the right way when they're down by a lot or up by a lot.

I don't see how there can be any controversy about this. That's the team we've been following all season.

They've also had comeback wins this season.  MEM & ATL, for example  So its not always the case that they'll fold under adversity since we've seen bits & pieces of it this season.   

"Will" being the key word there.  You spoke it like fact. Blanket statement since it hasn't always been the case this season.

Obviously, the glare is on some of these high profile losses this season but let's not forget that they have actually shown some fight this season too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
PhoSita,

Your comment can be reproduced for a fan of all sports teams because most people suffer from recency bias because our memories are just not that good. It takes a lot of conscious effort to stop your brain from thinking like this. We also tend to fixate on the negative aspects of life WAY more than the positive ones. This can be carried over to personal relationships and other aspects of life (not to get off topic). We also tend to criticize teams to the level of expectation (the grass is always greener on the other side fallacy): case in point a fan of the Cavs would be looking at a negative comment about Kyrie Irving and thinking.. "man, I wish we had him," or you'll see fans of the Warriors criticizing their team.. seriously.

It's impossible for you to make a statement like that based on memory alone unless you're figuratively Sheldon or you are going back and reviewing each game and assigning equal weight to their outcomes good or bad. For example, do you even remember which teams we played against in January without looking at the schedule let alone the scores or which games we blew a big lead? I don't think that I can, with 100% certainty, recall a single game from January. If I look at the box score, I might remember a few tidbits if there was a big event like a fight or one of those games from last year where we scored 7 points in under a minute.

Every single team has blown big games. It's part of a sport in which the object is to throw a ball into a slightly larger ring from 30 feet away. Some days it just doesn't fall. Some games the team is just tired -- they're human.

There's just so much wrong with your post and this entire thread in general, and the worst part is that we have to repeat this same drill after every loss / string of losses.

To the actual topic: In a focused environment in which both teams are on even playing field and they have the ability to make adjustments between games and re-strategize, you have to give the edge to the team with more talent, better coaching. I just don't see Pacers winning more than 2 games vs us. If Vegas is dumb enough to give points to the Celtics, you're buying every single time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:39:58 PM by Erik »

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Indiana has been below .500 since Oladipo went down.  There is no way that Boston should even be challenged by Indiana in the playoffs this year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 03:09:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Indiana has been below .500 since Oladipo went down.  There is no way that Boston should even be challenged by Indiana in the playoffs this year.
Yup.  And if they beat us, I'll look forward to the offseason culling. 

I don't care about what happens over the remainder of this season.  Home court vs Indiana is irrelevant. 

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 03:12:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't care about what happens over the remainder of this season.  Home court vs Indiana is irrelevant. 
I suspect that should we lose in the first round, there'll be a bloodletting of the roster with the primary goal to obtain AD.

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 03:18:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Probably.

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 03:22:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I suspect that should we lose in the first round, there'll be a bloodletting of the roster with the primary goal to obtain AD.

Isn't that the plan regardless?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
PhoSita,

Your comment can be reproduced for a fan of all sports teams because most people suffer from recency bias because our memories are just not that good. It takes a lot of conscious effort to stop your brain from thinking like this. We also tend to fixate on the negative aspects of life WAY more than the positive ones. This can be carried over to personal relationships and other aspects of life (not to get off topic). We also tend to criticize teams to the level of expectation (the grass is always greener on the other side fallacy): case in point a fan of the Cavs would be looking at a negative comment about Kyrie Irving and thinking.. "man, I wish we had him," or you'll see fans of the Warriors criticizing their team.. seriously.

It's impossible for you to make a statement like that based on memory alone unless you're figuratively Sheldon or you are going back and reviewing each game and assigning equal weight to their outcomes good or bad. For example, do you even remember which teams we played against in January without looking at the schedule let alone the scores or which games we blew a big lead? I don't think that I can, with 100% certainty, recall a single game from January. If I look at the box score, I might remember a few tidbits if there was a big event like a fight or one of those games from last year where we scored 7 points in under a minute.

Every single team has blown big games. It's part of a sport in which the object is to throw a ball into a slightly larger ring from 30 feet away. Some days it just doesn't fall. Some games the team is just tired -- they're human.

There's just so much wrong with your post and this entire thread in general, and the worst part is that we have to repeat this same drill after every loss / string of losses.

To the actual topic: In a focused environment in which both teams are on even playing field and they have the ability to make adjustments between games and re-strategize, you have to give the edge to the team with more talent, better coaching. I just don't see Pacers winning more than 2 games vs us. If Vegas is dumb enough to give points to the Celtics, you're buying every single time.

Yeah.

Pardon me for not citing to stats.

You're correct that sweeping statements are subject to recency bias and selective memory.

Donoghus is correct that it is not literally true that the team has in every instance folded when faced with a bad run in a game.

Donoghus is correct, therefore, that using the word "will" instead of "probably will" is inaccurate and implies unreasonable confidence in a predicted outcome.

All of that said, I believe the basic premises of my comments, regarding the nature of this Celtics team and their flaws, ie a tendency to revert to bad habits and forget team concepts when leading or trailing by a lot, are fundamentally accurate.

I can't quote you the stats on that. I'm nonetheless confident that a deep dive into the game logs would support the statement.

Many times this season the Celts have gotten down big because they couldn't respond to a run.  Many times they've let a close game slip away and very quickly face a large deficit, and they're never able to get back that lost ground.

A good number of times, as well, they've enjoyed big leads only to let those leads slip away because they stopped playing smart, team oriented ball.  That's resulted in humiliating losses as well as wins that were closer than they should have been.

Do you deny that this Celtics team has exhibited those problematic traits?
- Mark Twain