Author Topic: Danilo Gallinari : potential target ?  (Read 4692 times)

Danilo Gallinari : potential target ?
« on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:50 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Gallinari recently said he wanted to chase a ring more than a salary.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danilo-gallinari-says-competing-for-a-championship-is-more-important-than-his-contract-in-free-agency/

If he could be acquired for vet. minimum (or at a cheap price), should Danny Ainge go after him ?

I think he could be a great rotation player to a team like the Celtics, who need depth.

Re: Danilo Gallinari : potential target ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 07:05:52 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Should we go after him ? most def

Is the vet.min good enough? No
He said that money is not the issue but going from 20m to 2m seems a lot. Besides Every other contender could give him that. Are we his best option for a title?!?!

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 07:28:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would offer him the MLE for sure. I don't think he'll take it because there is likely much more money on the table, but I'd be knocking at the door regardless
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 07:31:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think his first choice will be the Lakers.  They have a spot for a third scorer, he’s familiar with LA, and they can offer the full MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 07:37:47 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I mentioned this is another thread when I first heard this story. I think it would require us trading Hayward for someone like John Collins. This would open up a starting role for Gallinari while also allowing us to use the full MLE.

Of course there are options other than Collins’ absurdly low contract for next season, but ATL can absorb Hayward into their cap space and I’ve always liked Collins.

Imo- a Hayward for Collins/Gallinari swap would make us a better team. Unfortunately, Roy is probably right, otherwise. The Lakers = Gallinari’s best path to a championship- as evidenced by them just winning a championship.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:14:31 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 07:42:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think his first choice will be the Lakers.  They have a spot for a third scorer, he’s familiar with LA, and they can offer the full MLE.
Nightmare, but banking on the health of Gallo and AD could quickly backfire. But given they're the champs it makes sense. Our pitch would have to be quite good

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Nightmare, but banking on the health of Gallo and AD could quickly backfire. But given they're the champs it makes sense. Our pitch would have to be quite good
Think we can pitch him a larger role in our more egalitarian offence besides the opportunity to "earn a championship the hard way"?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 08:33:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Think we can pitch him a larger role in our more egalitarian offence besides the opportunity to "earn a championship the hard way"?
It's definitely worth a shot! His offensive profile would give our team some insane flexibility. Not a great defender, but anyone who scores 19+ with a +55% EFG and a +62% TS as Gallo has over the last two years is pretty darn gifted.

I think Danny and Brad do a pretty good job selling our offensive to free agents

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I don’t think Brad would play him in tight games in the playoffs. His lateral quickness is comparable to Kanter at this stage of his career

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t think Brad would play him in tight games in the playoffs. His lateral quickness is comparable to Kanter at this stage of his career

I’m not sure about this.  Gallo has been labeled a poor defender for much of his career, but his defensive metrics have largely shown this not to be true.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 09:40:57 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
As far as the principle that you should always get talented players and figure it out later, I'm in.

Somebody tell me how he fits on this team? Who does he guard on defense? Where does he play on offense? Just seems like he doesn't have a clear roll on this team, which would make the pitch to him pretty difficult.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
As far as the principle that you should always get talented players and figure it out later, I'm in.

Somebody tell me how he fits on this team? Who does he guard on defense? Where does he play on offense? Just seems like he doesn't have a clear roll on this team, which would make the pitch to him pretty difficult.

Our second unit is just begging for a talented shooter who can create his own shot. He would also get a lot of minutes with the starters as Stevens loves positionless basketball. It would be darn hard to double Tatum and Jaylen when you have Gallo, Kemba and Hayward out there.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've always been a big fan of Gallinari and I'd love to have him here. I just fail to see us having a large enough role to offer him. We don't really have enough money either, in all likelihood. I highly doubt he wants to come off the bench for the taxpayer MLE, because that is probably what he'd be looking at coming here.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Gallo will be looking for $20mil per annum.

I don't know why he is being mentioned as an MLE target.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Gallo will be looking for $20mil per annum.

I don't know why he is being mentioned as an MLE target.

The whole point of this thread is that according to the article Gallo may be looking to chase a championship, not get another big check. No championship contender has space to give him more than the MLE.