Author Topic: Idea: Is Afflalo actually a star player who should be on the Celtics radar?  (Read 9053 times)

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Arron Afflalo is having a career year with Orlando Magic: 21.7 points/4 assists/4.4 rebounds per game. These are all star numbers and actually pretty close to Ray Allen in his prime (but with more effective shooting). People are talking about Bledsoe as MIP, but his numbers are more about opportunity and a lot more minutes. Afflalo's development is really stunning.

Obviously he is the best player on a bad team, and the increase is partly because he is now the 1st option for that team.

But he is still the 13th leading scorer in the NBA right now, and only Dwyane Wade has a legit claim over him to be the best shooting guard in the east (unless you consider Paul George a shooting guard).

I really can't explain how a 28 yo hard working role player (and great locker room guy) became a star overnight, but that seems to have happened.

He ended 2013 with five games where he had more than 20 points and shot better than 50 percent both overall and from three point range. Only Larry Bird and Detlef Schrempf had longer streaks (six games) since 1986.

"The key word for me is just 'efficiency,'" Afflalo said following Sunday's win against the Atlanta Hawks, a game in which he needed just 10 shot attempts to score 21 points. "It's not just about having the ball and getting a lot of shots; it's about taking and making the right shots [and] making the right plays. That's why I've been given that responsibility."

I really like Afflalo, but this transformation seems "to good to be true", so I understand if other Celtics fans would be reluctant to pursue him. However, he is one of the few players out there who might be a building block for a contending team and who could be available at a reasonable price ($7,500,000/year which with a few trades should leave room for one max contract for a center).

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Afflalo deserves to be an All-Star.

Although, his team's lousy performance may end up costing him his place. I don't like putting guys on crappy teams into the ASG so I wouldn't argue that one too much if it happened. But Afflalo has been playing at an All-Star level this year.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
impressive numbers.  Isn't he a poor defender? 

And like you said... it's likely a case of big numbers on a bad team.  The efficiency is surprising though.  He's always shot high percentages in limited minutes. 

Online Who

• James Naismith
Strong defender. Not top notch but above average.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Strong defender. Not top notch but well above average.
Any idea what it would take to get him?

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/1/1/5263890/arron-afflalo-trade-orlando-magic-nba-new-year-2014

Are the Magic looking to cut more salary?  They already have Turkaglu's 12 mil expiring contract.

If they are looking to dump Nelson's contract in the process (8.6 mil 2 years), I'd start by offering them Avery Bradley, Humph's expiring and a 2014 pick for Affalo and Nelson.   That gives them a couple more young building blocks (Bradley and the pick) to go along with cap relief.  No?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m7nzbr8 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:40:11 AM by LarBrd33 »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Don't think they're looking to "dump" him.

Like Crash's salary probably doesn't matter to us, Turkeyglue's salary probably doesn't matter to them since both are rebuilding.

If anything they'd be looking to sell high, not "get rid of Afflalo". Not sure I wanna overpay with several picks for Afflalo.

Online Who

• James Naismith

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/1/1/5263890/arron-afflalo-trade-orlando-magic-nba-new-year-2014

Are the Magic looking to cut more salary?  They already have Turkaglu's 12 mil expiring contract.

I don't know. I wouldn't be willing to give up that much for him though. Not yet anyway.

Afflalo has played great so far but I would want to see him maintain this run for a lot longer before I was willing to pay a heavy price for him. Too long as role player. This strong burst has come out of nowhere. I wonder if he is just on a long hot-shooting streak. I don't trust him being able to sustain this long term. Not yet anyway.

Ahem, I would think the Magic would give him up for a late lotto pick or two non-lotto first rounders. Either that or a young(ish) talent they like long term. Or a good vet who is young enough to still be valuable when their rebuilding ends. His trade value might be pretty similar to Jeff Green actually. A little less but the longer Afflalo keeps this up the closer he gets.

If they are looking to dump Nelson's contract in the process (8.6 mil 2 years), I'd start by offering them Avery Bradley, Humph's expiring and a 2014 pick for Affalo and Nelson.   That gives them a couple more young building blocks (Bradley and the pick) to go along with cap relief.  No?

Yeah, if Orlando liked Avery Bradley, I think that is a good trade offer for them.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd trade a top 12 protected first rounder for Afflalo if the Magic would be willing.

I understand how deep the supposed crop of prospects are this year, but Arron Afflalo is at best, a 21 ppg guy and at worst, a solid veteran who can drop around 15. An efficient player at that too.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Don't think they're looking to "dump" him.

Like Crash's salary probably doesn't matter to us, Turkeyglue's salary probably doesn't matter to them since both are rebuilding.

If anything they'd be looking to sell high, not "get rid of Afflalo". Not sure I wanna overpay with several picks for Afflalo.
I agree they wouldn't want to dump him.  They would look to sell high on him.  He's probably not a 20/4/4 guy heading forward, but he's an efficient scorer who could probably consistently give a good team 14-17 a night.  Like a rich man's Courtney Lee.  He'd be an upgrade over Bradley. 

The Magic obviously have Oladipo as the future of that team at SG... so they'd probably be open to moving Affalo so they can free up more minutes for Oladipo.   They also don't sound all that interested in hanging onto Nelson.  He's always been overrated hot garbage.

Crawford, Bradley, Humph's expiring and a 1st rounder for Affalo and Nelson.  Who says no?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m42med7

Notes:  #1 - Who knows how much Bradley and Crawford would cost to bring back.  Both are free agents.   #2 - Nelson can be waived before July 15th and only 2 million would count towards the cap next season.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:04:18 AM by LarBrd33 »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I don't know. I wouldn't be willing to give up that much for him though. Not yet anyway.

Afflalo has played great so far but I would want to see him maintain this run for a lot longer before I was willing to pay a heavy price for him. Too long as role player. This strong burst has come out of nowhere. I wonder if he is just on a long hot-shooting streak. I don't trust him being able to sustain this long term. Not yet anyway.

Ahem, I would think the Magic would give him up for a late lotto pick or two non-lotto first rounders. Either that or a young(ish) talent they like long term. Or a good vet who is young enough to still be valuable when their rebuilding ends. His trade value might be pretty similar to Jeff Green actually. A little less but the longer Afflalo keeps this up the closer he gets.

Yeah, if Orlando liked Avery Bradley, I think that is a good trade offer for them.
well fwiw, Zack Lowe reported yesterday that the Raptors (now .500!!) might make a play for Afflalo using Terrence Ross and that "Orlando values Ross":  http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10218662/the-overhaul-toronto-raptors

How does Avery Bradley's trade value compare to Terrence Ross?  If Orlando was open to the idea of moving Afflalo for a package built around Ross... wouldn't they potentially be open to a package built around Bradley?

Btw, Bradley is a no-brainer inclusion for a couple reasons.  First, he's a free agent at the end of the year and I doubt Boston wants to get stuck overpaying him.  Second, the acquisition of Afflalo instantly sticks Bradley on the bench... so I'd guess any trade idea would probably start with Bradley, Crawford or both.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Hoopshype has Nelson's next year as a team option, so I'm not sure they feel much urgency to get rid of his deal.

Their potential interest in Bradley would depend on where they see Oladipo going forward. I don't believe they really want him playing PG in the future and he'll eventually go back to SG.

Imagine if they had dealt Afflalo for Bledsoe somehow last year. That would have been a great trade for both sides, though I'm sure the Clippers are happy with Redick (his current injury notwithstanding) and Dudley.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If Boston could pull it off and somehow trot out a lineup of PG - Rondo, SG - Afflalo, SF - Green, PF - Sully, C - Asik... that's probably a solid 45 win playoff team right there.

Afflalo is interesting.  I don't think I've ever seen a player who has consistently improved every single season.

Season 1:  3.7 points
Season 2:  4.9 points
Season 3:  8.8 points
Season 4:  12.6 points
Season 5:  15.2 points
Season 6:  16.5 points
Season 7:  21.7 points

Pretty wild.  Mostly due to increased minutes, but he also apparently has an insane work ethic and great character.  He's 28 and in his prime.  Career splits of 46%/39%/82%  ... Good player.  I'd welcome him in Boston.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:57:08 AM by LarBrd33 »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If Boston could pull it off and somehow trot out a lineup of PG - Rondo, SG - Afflalo, SF - Green, PF - Sully, C - Asik... that's probably a solid 45 win playoff team right there.

Afflalo is interesting.  I don't think I've ever seen a player who has consistently improved every single season.

Pretty wild.  Mostly due to increased minutes.  He's 28 and in his prime.  Career splits of 46%/39%/82%  ... Good player.  I'd welcome him in Boston.

You're keeping Rondo!?

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Pretty wild.  Mostly due to increased minutes.  He's 28 and in his prime.  Career splits of 46%/39%/82%  ... Good player.  I'd welcome him in Boston.

You're keeping Rondo!?
Rondo's my favorite player on the Celtics.  I definitely keep Rondo if the point is to win now.  A trade for Afflalo reflects the "win now" approach. 

And yeah... Pg - rondo, sg - afflalo, sf - green, pf -sully, c - asik (if we could pull that off) ... That would be a solid 45 win playoff team in the East.  Maybe better.  Rondo needs shooters and Afflalo is a fantastic shooter.  Of course, this isn't even something being discussed.  There's some belief amongst the magic fanbase that they should cash in on Afflalo now...  They are a team in the "lose now" mindset.  Why bother keeping Afflalo around if he's going to be detrimental to their chances at a superstar in the draft.  They already have an impressive young core that they could probably build around if they moved Afflalo.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like afflalo, but im generally of the mindset that if you are trading for (or signing) a player during/just after the best season of their career its usually an overpay.