Author Topic: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015  (Read 66327 times)

Re: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2015, 12:06:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Aaaaaand we're done here:

Schwartz & Feinsod
?@schwartzfeinsod
Pending legal, @Revis24 has agreed to terms with the New York Jets #RevisIsland #nyjets

Terrible career move, Darrelle. I hope the extra money is worth spending the rest of your prime years in the cesspool that is the New York Jets organization. And remember what it's like to be on top of the mountain, because you won't ever get there with that sorry franchise.

Side note to New England: Losing your best defender to your most bitter rival? Not a good move. Good luck filling those shoes.

It's almost as if players who are facing the very real possibility of a life ending (for all intents and purposes) at ~ 45 want as much financial security for their families as they can get.

Shocking stuff.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2015, 12:08:37 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
The bottomline IMHO is that losing Revis definitely hurts but I think the Pats weren't going to drown their cap to keep him. I'm not doubting Revis brought a new dimension to the D, but the cap figures he got from the Jets I think were too high for the Pats to try to match.

Things just got a whole lot more interesting. I gonna wait until the regular season starts to pass judgment on the Pats. In Bill I trust.

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Schwartz & Feinsod
?@schwartzfeinsod
Pending legal, @Revis24 has agreed to terms with the New York Jets #RevisIsland #nyjets

Terrible career move, Darrelle. I hope the extra money is worth spending the rest of your prime years in the cesspool that is the New York Jets organization. And remember what it's like to be on top of the mountain, because you won't ever get there with that sorry franchise.

Side note to New England: Losing your best defender to your most bitter rival? Not a good move. Good luck filling those shoes.

It's almost as if players who are facing the very real possibility of a life ending (for all intents and purposes) at ~ 45 want as much financial security for their families as they can get.

Shocking stuff.
Rest assured, his family won't have problems one way or the other between the tens of millions he's already made on his previous deals, the endorsements and the future network jobs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2015, 12:55:22 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Schwartz & Feinsod
?@schwartzfeinsod

Shocking stuff.

I don't buy that argument. Revis has already made plenty. If he and his family weren't already financially secure, they've got problems that no amount of money can fix.

But hey, he's the one who's gotta hope for a miraculous Geno Smith transformation, not me.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2015, 12:58:57 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

Schwartz & Feinsod
?@schwartzfeinsod

Shocking stuff.

this is a little silly.. he was getting like 40 million offered from the patriots and also probably has extra endorsement opportunities and post playing career options if he ends his career with a couple of rings instead of toiling on an 7-9 team for the end of his prime. While he may get 5 or 6 more million out of this deal, we definitely can't rule out he would end up equal or making more in the long term playing with the pats.

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2015, 01:04:06 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I guarantee you that Revis, in particular, has made his employers much more money than he has seen from his NFL career.

Particularly considering the relatively miserable working conditions that NFL athletes suffer under.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2015, 01:17:45 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I don't know how anybody can fault Revis.  I mean, that is a STUPID amount of money for someone that old to get to play football that isn't a QB.  The Jets just killed their cap to "stick it to the Pats" and they're going to go exactly nowhere because of it.  Revis gets to live in NYC and make a ton of money, he already got his ring.   I loved him here and wish he had stayed but if the Jets are going to be that irresponsible with their cap, what can you do? 

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2015, 07:52:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What's the problem?  He's getting more money, and he's playing in a city that he loves. 

Some players value things other than winning, and I respect that.  Similarly, I respect when a player chooses winning over money (i.e., Ray Allen).  These guys are motivated by the sames things that all employees are:  money, security, respect, recognition, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2015, 08:01:25 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
What's the problem?  He's getting more money, and he's playing in a city that he loves. 

Some players value things other than winning, and I respect that.  Similarly, I respect when a player chooses winning over money (i.e., Ray Allen).  These guys are motivated by the sames things that all employees are:  money, security, respect, recognition, etc.

Yup, I disagree with his motivation here but it is what it is, that's his choice. 

I always thought whoever paid him the most would get him, I was just hopeful that this time the pats would pony up the money. 

Finally, at this point with no Browner and Revis, and only 13 mill in cap space, i'm hopeful the pats will trade Brady and start the rebuild. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2015, 08:14:13 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The Pats weren't giving Revis 5 years. Knowing the Jets, the last 3 years are almost fully guaranteed.

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2015, 08:16:39 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Yup, I disagree with his motivation here but it is what it is, that's his choice. 

I always thought whoever paid him the most would get him, I was just hopeful that this time the pats would pony up the money. 

Finally, at this point with no Browner and Revis, and only 13 mill in cap space, i'm hopeful the pats will trade Brady and start the rebuild.

Seriously? Until Brady's arm falls off Im totally sticking with the NE system. 11-14 wins, playoffs, and a shot at the title if you get a break or two. Thats great.

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
The Pats weren't giving Revis 5 years. Knowing the Jets, the last 3 years are almost fully guaranteed.

guaranteed money over the first three years.  Lower guaranteed number than I was expecting. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Seriously? Until Brady's arm falls off Im totally sticking with the NE system. 11-14 wins, playoffs, and a shot at the title if you get a break or two. Thats great.

I don't see a scenario where the Pats can win a title as currently constituted.  Unless they make a move for somebody that I currently don't think is available I don't see it over the course of the rest of Brady's career. 

Brady still has value and the pats are a young team.  IF the pats can get a player and a first in a deal similar to the Jimmy Graham deal I would go for it in a heartbeat

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Revis' deal with the Jets is a whopper. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports it's a five-year, $70 million deal with $39 million fully guaranteed, per a source involved.

If that's true, the Pats should ashamed of themselves then.  If they wouldn't go even just 1 million dollars more guaranteed, then this is on them.  But if they offered the same amount and Revis still picked the Jets?...then I guess you have to just chop it up to the fact that Revis was probably planning on returning to New York from jump street.  Really unfortunate...if they could've kept this secondary together for even just 1 more year, I think there's a Seattle-New England super bowl rematch
The deal is for $48 million over the first three years. That just isn't happening in New England.
This is the part I'm not 100% sure I understand. It averages out to 14 a year. Didn't they pay like 10 this year? I'm not sure why they couldn't have offered like 13 for 4 years guaranteed. If the money was close he was coming back here.

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Revis' deal with the Jets is a whopper. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports it's a five-year, $70 million deal with $39 million fully guaranteed, per a source involved.

If that's true, the Pats should ashamed of themselves then.  If they wouldn't go even just 1 million dollars more guaranteed, then this is on them.  But if they offered the same amount and Revis still picked the Jets?...then I guess you have to just chop it up to the fact that Revis was probably planning on returning to New York from jump street.  Really unfortunate...if they could've kept this secondary together for even just 1 more year, I think there's a Seattle-New England super bowl rematch
The deal is for $48 million over the first three years. That just isn't happening in New England.
This is the part I'm not 100% sure I understand. It averages out to 14 a year. Didn't they pay like 10 this year? I'm not sure why they couldn't have offered like 13 for 4 years guaranteed. If the money was close he was coming back here.

They were saying on CSN the pats only were offering $35M guaranteed, Pats screwed up here