Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 91474 times)

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2019, 02:25:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wouldn't Brandon Clarke have been a much better choice than Langford ?
I think if we hadn't lost Horford he would have been, but Langford probably has higher potential
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
So I live in Columbus, OH and I was in Indy for the weekend.  Talked to a lot of IU fans and they do not like Romeo.  They all expected him to be the savior of IU basketball because of how highly ranked he was coming out of High School.  They all know he spent half the year playing with the torn ligament in his hand but the biggest thing they complained about was he did not have that killer instinct and that he could not put the team on his back and carry it.  I have only seen highlights of him play and there are some good things but this reminds me of a Jeff Green situation.  So much talent but no aggression or killer instinct.  Don't shoot the messenger.  I don't know enough about Romeo to know if this is legit.  I just talked to numerous IU fans and they all said the same thing.  They watched him play all year.  Pre and Post Injury.  I had my Celtics gear on and a lot of them came out and said good luck with Romeo.

Picking someone with Jeff Green's career is a good find at #14 in the draft.

I’m not so sure about that. There’s a reason he’s passed around the NBA like a joint..he’s not very good at much other than dunking  and getting hot from the field once in a blue moon.

I also pray to god that Langford isn’t as apathetic as Sleep Jeff. No passion whatsoever.
I think rough averages of 13/4.5/1.5 over a 900+ game career would be a good result for a 14 pick

I'm not talking Jeff Green skill level.  I'm talking about greens lack of killer instinct and how easy it was for green to defer in clutch situations.  Green had a ton of skills but lacked the mindset the great ones have.  Marcus Smart has a killer instinct.  Crunch time he makes plays.  Hes not afraid to take a big shot.  Green didnt play like that.  He had the ability to take over a game and when you think he was going to he slid back into the shadows.  This is what I talk about when comparing someone to jeff green.  Big ability but lack of intensity and killer instinct.

yeah, but that's just your preference, it has nothing to do with whether or not that's a good career/production from the 14th pick, your original argument. he doesn't need to have a killer instinct to be a good pick at 14 if he's as productive as JG. I think most GMs would take JG at 14 and be happy about it, him being the 5th pick was the real issue, because teams wanted more out of him than he gave. I think most teams would also take Evan Turner level at 14 but he was taken 2nd IIRC.

14th picks over time:

2018 Michael Porter, Missouri - Denver Nuggets
2017 Bam Adebayo, Kentucky – Miami HEAT
2016 Denzel Valentine, Michigan State – Chicago Bulls
2015 Cameron Payne, Murray State – Oklahoma City Thunder
2014 TJ Warren, NC State – Phoenix Suns
2013 Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA – Utah Jazz
2012 John Henson, UNC – Milwaukee Bucks
2011 Marcus Morris, Kansas – Houston Rockets
2010 Patrick Patterson, Kentucky – Houston Rockets
2009 Earl Clark, Louisville – Phoenix Suns
2008 Anthony Randolph, LSU – Golden State Warriors
2007 Al Thornton, Florida State – L.A. Clippers
2006 Ronnie Brewer, Arkansas – Utah Jazz
2005 Rashad McCants, North Carolina – Minnesota Timberwolves
2004 Kris Humphries, Minnesota – Utah Jazz
2003 Luke Ridnour, Oregon – Seattle Supersonics
2002 Fred Jones, Oregon – Indiana Pacers
2001 Troy Murphy, Notre Dame – Golden State Warriors
2000 Mateen Cleaves, Michigan State – Detroit Pistons
1999 William Avery, Duke – Minnesota Timberwolves
1998 Michael Dickerson, Arizona – Houston Rockets
1997 Maurice Taylor, Michigan – L.A. Clippers
1996 Predrag Stojakovic, Serbia & Montenegro – Sacramento Kings
1995 Eric Williams, Providence – Boston Celtics
1994 Yinka Dare, George Washington – New Jersey Nets
1993 Scott Haskin, Oregon State – Indiana Pacers
1992 Malik Sealy, St. John’s – Indiana Pacers
1991 Rich King, Nebraska – Seattle Supersonics
1990 Travis Mays, Texas – Sacramento Kings

For me, only Dickerson and Peja are clear upgrades over Jeff Green. And most are demonstrably worse.

« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2019, 06:37:33 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Number one highest freshman scorer BIG 10
Third highest freshman scorer nationally of larger schools
Third highest scorer as a freshman at Indiana
Number one finisher in country at rim
.Brad and Danny were very familiar with this kid.
Another student athlete that took advanced programs and likes math.

Father groomed him since youth to be stoic.
The kid is 19 till mid October.
He is coachable has nice length and at 215 already has potential to add muscle.
Playing with a great young group of Celtics
Great trade bait to Pacers.
His weaknesses are all fixable

"Meet the player with 43 inch vertical Who OUTSCORED Zion Williamson(Ft Romeo Williamson,NBA Wingspan)----www.youtube.com/watch?v=m972PknqozU

This was AAU ball he was much thinner

Carsen Edwards avg /10 points as a freshmen jumped to 18sopomore year and we know what he did in this Junior year.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:25:56 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2019, 07:10:04 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
So I live in Columbus, OH and I was in Indy for the weekend.  Talked to a lot of IU fans and they do not like Romeo.  They all expected him to be the savior of IU basketball because of how highly ranked he was coming out of High School.  They all know he spent half the year playing with the torn ligament in his hand but the biggest thing they complained about was he did not have that killer instinct and that he could not put the team on his back and carry it.  I have only seen highlights of him play and there are some good things but this reminds me of a Jeff Green situation.  So much talent but no aggression or killer instinct.  Don't shoot the messenger.  I don't know enough about Romeo to know if this is legit.  I just talked to numerous IU fans and they all said the same thing.  They watched him play all year.  Pre and Post Injury.  I had my Celtics gear on and a lot of them came out and said good luck with Romeo.

That’s a sad report.  But I would believe fans that watch him all year.  If they don’t like him I find it hard for a C’s fan to like him either.  Time will tell.
We also have to take into account how old these fans are/were. If they're college level fans I wouldn't take much stock in their criticism. I was the same way when I was young when BC got a solid recruit, be it in Bball or Football, and they didn't live up to expectation. Not really the same as the level of talent coming to BC wasn't elite.
Don't sleep on this kid. Wait until starts playing before passing judgement. If you watched his games he had his right thumb in a bandage pretty much most of the year. That is a little hindering when it comes to long range shooting but should not have affected his finishing at the rim too much.

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I’m not sure why people are so down on this kid. He hasn’t played a minute for the team and it feels like everyone has already buried him as a bad pick/bust. He’s got some unique tools as far as style of play and he pretty good size for someone his age. Not saying he will work out but he’s the type of high ceiling gamble you take at that range.

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2019, 10:50:50 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Wouldn't Brandon Clarke have been a much better choice than Langford ?
we dont know, do we? for us to know this we have to be patient and wait at least 3 to 4 years before rendering a decision. i know, i know...advocating for patience here is asking for a lot.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I’m not sure why people are so down on this kid. He hasn’t played a minute for the team and it feels like everyone has already buried him as a bad pick/bust. He’s got some unique tools as far as style of play and he pretty good size for someone his age. Not saying he will work out but he’s the type of high ceiling gamble you take at that range.
not everyone. look over the posts above. a few posters have decided he is a poor pick without him having played a minute of nba ball. but lots of others advocate patience or support him.

jumping to conclusions before a player takes the court is a well-worn and long practiced ritual here at CS.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2019, 11:00:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't think Langford will get much burn this season. They are working hard to correct his shooting mechanics, which could take a year or two to build into muscle memory as a repeatable action. 

Langford's ceiling is much higher than Clarke's. 

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2019, 06:51:26 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I don't think Langford will get much burn this season. They are working hard to correct his shooting mechanics, which could take a year or two to build into muscle memory as a repeatable action. 

I know the C's are pretty good at this (they got Baynes and Theis hitting 3's....but not the one that really matters...ahem ..Marcus) but I can't help but think of Fultz when I hear things like this.

« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2019, 07:27:57 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I know the C's are pretty good at this (they got Baynes and Theis hitting 3's....but not the one that really matters...ahem ..Marcus) but I can't help but think of Fultz when I hear things like this.

Last year Marcus shot .364 from 3, a trend that hopefully will continue or improve. Granted it took a while and I'd rather not wait that long...

On the flip side, Jaylen and Jason's first year three-point shooting was much better than anticipated.

« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2019, 07:33:55 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Gotta give this kid a chance to prove himself..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I dont see Langford as being a top 14 player coming out of this draft, especially since he will be buried on the wings playing behind all of Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart.

And seeing how so many bigmen who were brimming with potential were available at that spot, and was such a huge position of need, that makes the choice even worse looking.

« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Honestly, I think the selection of Langford and the decision to delay extending JB means he's potentially on the block for a star.

« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

It's probably one of those things where when you pick someone at 14 the first things you don't want to hear are:

1. He has a broken jumpshot.
2. He needs surgery.
3. Other than that he's great.

« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2019, 08:38:43 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

It's probably one of those things where when you pick someone at 14 the first things you don't want to hear are:

1. He has a broken jumpshot.
2. He needs surgery.
3. Other than that he's great.

4. he's a wing! when you already have to many of those to start with!