Author Topic: What adjustments are you looking for in game 2?  (Read 2882 times)

What adjustments are you looking for in game 2?
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Great win today.

On from game 1 to game 2 - time for Brad to shine in the adjustment game. What did you see today, and what are you looking for in the next few games? I think we saw a mismatch that Brad is going to exploit: Al is too strong and too heavy for the Milwaukee bigs to guard down low. They have plenty of length, but Giannis and Henson are giving too much weight and strength away - Al was moving them to get in position whenever he wanted for the first part of the game. And of course, if they put Giannis on Al he runs the risk of foul trouble. Eventually, the Bucks started bringing help every time Al got the ball low. I expect Brad to run some sets to punish that, and I think it's going to be a big problem for the Bucks going forward.

What are you seeing?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:50:04 PM by Sophomore »

Re: What adjustments are you looking for in game 2?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 need better perimeter defense focus, and less turnovers

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:08:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
need better perimeter defense focus, and less turnovers

Yep. Defend the 3PT line.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:15 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Larkin needs to play better. Focus on Monroe more in the 2nd QTR. and like a few have said: perimeter defense on the 3 pt line!

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
1) Stay more disciplined on Middleton.  We gave him too many open looks from 3.  Can't sag too far off of him and get caught in no man's land.
2) Consider changing PnR coverage when it involves Larkin - i.e. don't switch Larkin onto other players.  We got burned a few times, particularly Middleton who simply used his size to score over him.
3) Take care of the ball.  Too many live turnovers will prove to be fatal.
4) When Monroe is on the floor, make it a point to establish him in the post rather than run high PnR.  It's not necessarily about him scoring; rather it will cause the defense to shift, and Monroe is an excellent passing big.
5) Establish Al in the post even more often than game 1, especially when guarded by GA.  Al needs at minimum 12 shot attempts next game, regardless of how many FTs he takes.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Take care of the ball. Including some of the over passing and passing when the defender is over playing. When The Bucks defenders are over playing and playing the passing lanes the Celtics need to cut to the basket, see: Bradley, Avery.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Do a better job on Middleton and Brogdon.  Clean up our switches; we had multiple instances tonight where both players covered the same guy and the other one rocked the rim.  Aside from that, I was pretty content with our defense tonight.  Giannis is just that good.  Let Horford, Brown, and Morris take turns doing the best they can and live with the result. 

On offense, we can't have the lapse where we got sloppy with the basketball and started a 20-point swing in the wrong direction.  The Bucks defense overplays the strong side and trusts their length to create deflections and turnovers when the offense tries to swing the ball to the other side.  Take care of the ball, make smarter passes. 

Also, we just need to shoot better.  Rozier, Morris, Brown, and Tatum combined to shoot 32-75.  I'd like to be more efficient than that. 

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
1) Stay more disciplined on Middleton.  We gave him too many open looks from 3.  Can't sag too far off of him and get caught in no man's land.
2) Consider changing PnR coverage when it involves Larkin - i.e. don't switch Larkin onto other players.  We got burned a few times, particularly Middleton who simply used his size to score over him.
4) When Monroe is on the floor, make it a point to establish him in the post rather than run high PnR.  It's not necessarily about him scoring; rather it will cause the defense to shift, and Monroe is an excellent passing big.
5) Establish Al in the post even more often than game 1, especially when guarded by GA.  Al needs at minimum 12 shot attempts next game, regardless of how many FTs he takes.

Middleton is gonna be a challenge if he’s knocking down shots like that. I think the trouble is we need help on Giannis when he drives - and when you collapse the D like that the 3-point line is open. Still, they have to do better.

I’m looking for Monroe to do better next game - he was rushing his shots today. Not sure why he was sped up. Hope to see him playing a better pace next game. It’s a choice; he’s probably better off on the low block (Zeller has no chance v him without help) but we like to play him high post for passing. Be interesting to see what Brad does.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
Do a better job on Middleton and Brogdon.  Clean up our switches; we had multiple instances tonight where both players covered the same guy and the other one rocked the rim.  Aside from that, I was pretty content with our defense tonight.  Giannis is just that good.  Let Horford, Brown, and Morris take turns doing the best they can and live with the result. 

On offense, we can't have the lapse where we got sloppy with the basketball and started a 20-point swing in the wrong direction.  The Bucks defense overplays the strong side and trusts their length to create deflections and turnovers when the offense tries to swing the ball to the other side.  Take care of the ball, make smarter passes. 

Also, we just need to shoot better.  Rozier, Morris, Brown, and Tatum combined to shoot 32-75.  I'd like to be more efficient than that.

Good points. Def agree about the strong side overplay.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22:41 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
As has been said, limit turnovers, be more disciplined defending Middleton and Brogdon on the 3 point line. One more thing, Milwaukee broke out a new defensive scheme late in the game. They usually don't switch on picks, but in the 4th quarter they started switching and it gave the Celts a lot of trouble, the Celts were clearly surprised by that move and weren't ready.

They never really fully adjusted and pulled through by making a few tough shots and getting to the free throw line. They need to be ready for that next game, and also be on the lookout for other adjustments.

There was a lot of talk about how the coaching match up favored Brad and the Celts, but Milwaukee didn't get out coached in this game, if they had made one more stop or got one more shot in regulation people might be saying that they got they best of Brad in game one with that defensive adjustment.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:31 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

Middleton is gonna be a challenge if he’s knocking down shots like that. I think the trouble is we need help on Giannis when he drives - and when you collapse the D like that the 3-point line is open. Still, they have to do better.

I’m looking for Monroe to do better next game - he was rushing his shots today. Not sure why he was sped up. Hope to see him playing a better pace next game. It’s a choice; he’s probably better off on the low block (Zeller has no chance v him without help) but we like to play him high post for passing. Be interesting to see what Brad does.

Yeah it's a tough choice, but we can't have both Middleton and GA scoring 25+ points on us each.  Gotta limit the damage from Middleton and the other role players.  I do expect Bledsoe to play better next game so it's clearly no easy task.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We need more inside game... baynes and Monroe must step up too...  offensively and defensively.. you can't allow Giannis to have a party inside.... the thing that worries me is the lack of many players... you can't go far with 5-6  players

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 10:43:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We need more inside game... baynes and Monroe must step up too...  offensively and defensively.. you can't allow Giannis to have a party inside.... the thing that worries me is the lack of many players... you can't go far with 5-6  players

Baynes and Monore need to make the Skinny bucks centers and Giannis play with foul trouble.

Put pressure on Giannis to play even harder Defense and hope the refs make the calls under the basket .

KEEP taking the ball imside .....foul out Giannis,  make him challenge shots and foul our players.

Bully Giannis much as possible ....get in his head.  make him make mental mistakes ....lord I miss Smart and Theis.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 10:45:21 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

The five finishers (Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Morris) plus Baynes, Monroe, and Larkin are pretty much our 8. Hopefully Smart can be 9 in a couple weeks.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Treat Giannis like the Pistons and Knicks did to Jordan in the late 80's and early 90's.  Hard fouls every time he gets near the basket.  Make him earn those free throws (no cheapies).  As the series wears on I can promise you his body will start to feels the affects of those physical fouls.