Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43612 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2018, 01:25:11 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
One interesting fact, he's from Shreveport, same hometown as Chief

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2018, 01:31:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One interesting fact, he's from Shreveport, same hometown as Chief
It's destiny
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2018, 01:39:08 AM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Admittedly haven't watched much of him. I expect early on in the season he'll spend some time shuttling back and forth to Maine. I hope we'll see more of him later in the season. I am very excited about this pick. A piece that I though we were missing and was hoping to trade up for. Very glad they made a wise decision to not overpay. What I would like to see from him his first season is rim protection and running, defense, switchability and some competency in the dribble handoff. I think it is also the first player of this cut that Stevens has had and am excited to see how he goes about developing him. Stevens is a coach who tends to put his players in positions to succeed through their strengths. My guess is when he does get burn he will get some touches back to the basket (I'm expecting a lot of this in summer league), dribble handoffs and rim running.

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2018, 01:58:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

https://www.facebook.com/bleacherreport/videos/10154878620491006/

He lacks skills but lordy does he have potential.

Stevens said he's very high on him.

I still wanted Spellman, but I'm gonna trust Steven's judgement.

I don't like the fact he had immaturity issues and terrible shooting mechanics, but we gotta give him a chance.

Man, they say that same crap every year, lol ::) ;D. Didn't Stevens also say that R.J. Hunter was going to have a great career ::)? I just, I can't, lol ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be watching the guy in the Summer League, etc., but it's just never a good idea to take any guy with a sub-par motor and/or work ethic, imo, as those are characteristics that you simply cannot teach, in my view. You've either got it or you don't, to me, but we'll see as to what happens.

Had Williams been drafted by the Warriors, for example, I could have seen that possibly panning out owing to Draymond and company constantly being in his ear and all that comes with being immersed in a championship environment, but I really don't know about this one, man, and what's the deal with Khyri Thomas?

All this complaining about Williams when your binky didn't even get drafted? ROFL

Yes, I have legitimate concerns about Williams - sue me ::).

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2018, 01:58:51 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
This is kinda wow, just wow.  This is the guy that I thought we should be trading Terry for.  Williams was projected late lotto, Terry's realistic trade value, and second only to Bamba as defensive, athletic, rebounder who's athletic enough for easy finishes around the basket.  We get him at 27 with absolutely nothing to lose, and keep Rozier.

When the new ownership asked Red who to give the keys to the car to, Ainge or Bird, the story goes, Red said "Ainge, because he's lucky."  Doesn't matter what way this plays out, it was the right pick.

« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2018, 02:08:17 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
He reminds me of Theis  a little bit...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2018, 02:29:57 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I challenge you to find a single player in the NBA with a 7'5" or greater wingspan and a 40" or greater vertical. Pretty unique specimen.

« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2018, 03:01:49 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
He reminds me a lot of Shawn Kemp and I am not the only person to bring that up. If Kemp went to college he might have been a college causality like Williams. Williams was badly misused at Texas A&M. He was only used for 16 pick and rolls in 30 games and forced to play as a traditional 4 with a very slow plodding big in Tyler Davis and stretch 4 in DJ Hogg neither whom, were drafted. In the NBA teams will likely find a way to use his athletism and play him more at the 5 which he fits into today's NBA as. His best skill might be his insane catch radius which should be among the best in the NBA. Lobs and pick and rolls were made for him.

As for Kemp, both are explosive 6'10" guys with 40" verts who attack the rim, run the floor like deer, and can rebound. Williams though has a freakish 7'6" wingspan and Kemp was closer to 7'2". Williams is the much better shot blocker and has strength that a Bamba lacks to rim defend. Obviously Kemp developed a very solid mid range game and was a decent FT shooter from the start and Williams will have a lot of work to be good at those skills
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:19:29 AM by DooVoo »

« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2018, 03:40:28 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I love the Robert Williams pick.  He has a massive wingspan of 7'5 and is extremely athletic.  Like pogo stick legs.  I've seen him dunk balls where he catches it above the square and throw down!

He was one of my draft binkies and DA made my wish come true! 

On June 8th I said:

I'm going to pick 2 binkies.  Just to hedge my bets but chances are we don't draft either of them unless we move up slightly in the draft.

6'9 PF/C Robert Williams from Texas A&M.  He reportedly has a 7'5 wingspan.  He averaged 4 blocks per 40 minutes.  He's what we call a rim protector. ;)

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/22/17149150/robert-williams-texas-am-sweet-16

He is super athletic and I'm betting that he leapfrogs Yabusele into the big man rotation.  I feel he could be better defensively than Theis because of his massive wingspan.  Defensively, he only trails Mo Bamba and Jaren Jackson Jr in block percentage as a college bigman -- he is significantly better in that department than Wendell Carter Jr, Bagley, and Ayton.

I really love how well he moves.  He is a scary shotblocker and an excellent rebounder -- two areas that the Celtics need a lot of help in.  As most big men he might start out slower, but that's ok.  He can develop behind Theis and Horford and eventually earn a bigger role.  You can't teach his wingspan and athleticism. 

But I'm sure Brad Stevens will be able to teach him the fundamentals and help coax out that massive upside!  If we're lucky we end up with the next Clint Capella or Deandre Jordan!  Really pleased with this draft selection.  Who knows, maybe pick #27 is lucky after all?

« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2018, 04:22:30 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I don't want to put any pressure on the kid, but I think that defensively he should be the next Bill Russell.

I didn't want to say that, but I saw Russell play his rookie year in Boston. This kid can jump like Russell, but he has a better mid range shot. Russ was also left handed.

We'll see if he can develop the kind of defensive skills Russell had. The young Russell had a similar long body and could also jump through the roof. The kid has the tools, and needs the right teachers. Just keep him away from the 3P line.  :laugh:

You are sorta glossing over a few trivial facts about Bill Russell - ya know, like leading his college team to 2 consecutive national titles, plus that Olympic Gold Medal Russell won and then, I don't know, leading the Celts to the NBA title as a rookie. Probably extraneous information - but then again, maybe something to consider.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Next Bill Russell is absurd guys!   Russ won on early level...

I am excited about the pick as anyone but let us not go off the deep end.

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Last guy to be compared to Russell: The Stiemer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2018, 07:13:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Last guy to be compared to Russell: The Stiemer.

LOL ...haa haa I recall that too.   I laughed so hard i messed up the Ipad

« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2018, 07:14:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

he ll be lucky to be John Hotrod Williams

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Must plan his statue NOW .....rigjt beside Bills