Author Topic: Avengers Endgame: Reaction thread (expect spoilers)  (Read 21168 times)

Re: Avengers Endgame: Reaction thread (expect spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 08:46:23 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
The handling of Captain Marvel was baffling. She blew through an entire spaceship, then couldn’t do any better against Thanos than any of the others?

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just saw it and really enjoyed the film.  Time travel is just problematic in general.  What annoys me is when they spend all this time establishing the “rules” and then proceed to break EVERY SINGLE ONE.  Why are Peter Parker’s buddies all still in high school?  Did they take a sabbatical after the events of Infinity War?
I mean, you can have complaints about some of the time travel in the movie... but that's not a valid one.

Obviously, his friend was also one of the 50% who were dusted.  That's why they gave each other a relieved glance when they saw each other in the school... since presumably half the kids they knew from that school are now long gone in College.

Obviously, if they were both part of the 50% that got dusted then to both of them it would seem no time passed. So why the greatvrelief tonsee each other?
Are you honestly confused about that?

It was several days later.  It's not like they were unaware about what happened at that point.   They knew they were showing up to a school where half of their fellow students were now aged out of the school... and half of the students there were in elementary school when they were dusted...   so they were showing up to an unfamiliar and stressful situation where their entire school was very different.  It was mainly a knowing glance that "hey... glad you're here... this is so different... it's kind of a relief to know my best friend was dusted and not college age"

Gotta figure it would be quite an adjustment all over the place when half the population suddenly returned.

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Just saw it and really enjoyed the film.  Time travel is just problematic in general.  What annoys me is when they spend all this time establishing the “rules” and then proceed to break EVERY SINGLE ONE.  Why are Peter Parker’s buddies all still in high school?  Did they take a sabbatical after the events of Infinity War?
I mean, you can have complaints about some of the time travel in the movie... but that's not a valid one.

Obviously, his friend was also one of the 50% who were dusted.  That's why they gave each other a relieved glance when they saw each other in the school... since presumably half the kids they knew from that school are now long gone in College.

Obviously, if they were both part of the 50% that got dusted then to both of them it would seem no time passed. So why the greatvrelief tonsee each other?
Because they both knew they were dead for 5 years. Remember, Peter told Stark on the battlefield that he dusted away, then went away but now is back. The people who died knew they died. I think happiness to see each other would be off the charts.
Yeah and I mean... honestly, just thinking about that scene logically... it was likely several days after everyone returned.  The whole thing was probably a national emergency and everything was probably shut down for days/weeks while they tried to figure out how they were going to reincorporate these missing people back into a society that moved on without them.   Like, beyond the school issue, there's probably people who are like "uh... so like... do i still have a job or what?" ... Nah sorry, company downsized without you or had to hire new staff from the unsnapped to keep going.     

Peter and his friend probably reached out to each other before school started back up.   So that knowing glance might have just been "this is so stressful... glad you are still the same age as me".

If anyone is still confused about this... let me try to break it down.   

in 2014 half the population vanishes.  Peter was in 10th grade or something, right?  Let's just say there are 500 people in 10th grade.   250 of them vanished... including Peter and his best friend.   So for the remaining 250 students, they just stuck around in the school.  Eventually moved on to 11th grade.  Eventually to 12th grade.   Eventually moved on to College/wherever. 

Meanwhile...  kids that were in 6th grade back in 2014 had a similar thing happen in their Elementary school.   Half the students disappear... but they keep going.  Move on to 7th grade... move on to 8th grade...    until 2019 comes around and they are now 10th graders.

So now in 2019... there are 250 kids in 10th grade... These are kids that were in 6th grade back in 2014. 

So then the "unsnappening" happens. 

Suddenly the 250 kids that vanished back in 2014 are back... and they are still the age of 10th graders.   This includes Peter, his friend, presumably Mary Jane and probably the bully kid - since those were the only kids anyone really cares about from the first movie.

So they show up at that school and it's probably all kinds of confusing.  Mid school year.  Lesson plans are probably all jacked up.  Half the teachers who vanished are now back.   

From the perspective of the unsnapped 6th graders who are now in 10th grade they are probably like - "I don't know any of these kids... our classes are now twice the size... this is awkward"

From the perspective of the snapped kids like Peter and his friend... they have to live with the reality that many of the people they were friends with are now well past the 10th grade.   They gotta get on the same page with the lesson plans and all that stuff.  Everything is very different.  It's probably super uncomfortable and they are just glad they have each other.  Hopefully they touch on it a little in the next Spider-Man movie.

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 09:10:31 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Because they both knew they were dead for 5 years. Remember, Peter told Stark on the battlefield that he dusted away, then went away but now is back. The people who died knew they died. I think happiness to see each other would be off the charts.
Yeah and I mean... honestly, just thinking about that scene logically... it was likely several days after everyone returned.  The whole thing was probably a national emergency and everything was probably shut down for days/weeks while they tried to figure out how they were going to reincorporate these missing people back into a society that moved on without them.   Like, beyond the school issue, there's probably people who are like "uh... so like... do i still have a job or what?" ... Nah sorry, company downsized without you or had to hire new staff from the unsnapped to keep going.     

Peter and his friend probably reached out to each other before school started back up.   So that knowing glance might have just been "this is so stressful... glad you are still the same age as me".

in 2014 half the population vanishes.  Peter was in 10th grade or something, right?  Let's just say there are 500 people in 10th grade.   250 of them vanished... including Peter and his best friend.   So for the remaining 250 students, they just stuck around in the school.  Eventually moved on to 11th grade.  Eventually to 12th grade.   Eventually moved on to College/wherever. 

Meanwhile...  kids that were in 6th grade back in 2014 had a similar thing happen in their Elementary school.   Half the students disappear... but they keep going.  Move on to 7th grade... move on to 8th grade...    until 2019 comes around and they are now 10th graders.

So now in 2019... there are 250 kids in 10th grade... These are kids that were in 6th grade back in 2014. 

Suddenly the 250 kids that vanished back in 2014 are back... and they are still the age of 10th graders.   This includes Peter, his friend, presumably Mary Jane and probably the bully kid - since those were the only kids anyone really cares about from the first movie.

So they show up at that school and it's probably all kinds of confusing.  Mid school year.  Lesson plans are probably all jacked up.  Half the teachers who vanished are now back.   

From the perspective of the unsnapped 6th graders who are now in 10th grade they are probably like - "I don't know any of these kids... our classes are now twice the size... this is awkward"

From the perspective of the snapped kids like Peter and his friend... they have to live with the reality that many of the people they were friends with are now well past the 10th grade.   They gotta get on the same page with the lesson plans and all that stuff.  Everything is very different.  It's probably super uncomfortable and they are just glad they have each other.  Hopefully they touch on it a little in the next Spider-Man movie.

Ok so EVERY school aged principle player from homecoming got dusted.  Got it.

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yes. Exactly.  You're talking about basically Peter, Ned, MJ and the Flash Thompson character.  All dusted.  Any other kids matter?

Just like everyone other than basically the core original Avengers got dusted.  *shrug*

50% of the population dusted, but luckily everyone from the original Avengers (Hulk, Hawkeye, Iron-Man, Thor, Black Widow, Cap) survived.

FWIW, maybe Peter's love interest from the first one (Michael Keaton's daughter) is old now.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:32:25 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 09:33:04 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown

Yes. Exactly.  You're talking about basically Peter, Ned, MJ and the Flash Thompson character.  All dusted.  Any other kids matter?

Just like everyone other than basically the core original Avengers got dusted.  *shrug*

FWIW, maybe Peter's love interest from the first one (Michael Keaton's daughter) is old now.

My bigger issue was the time loop vs alternate timeline issue.  They seemed to not be able to pick a direction.  Rogers showing up old suggests time loop, but  2014 Gamora presumably running free in the 2023 suggest split timeline.

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 09:33:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
The handling of Captain Marvel was baffling. She blew through an entire spaceship, then couldn’t do any better against Thanos than any of the others?
thankfully

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

My bigger issue was the time loop vs alternate timeline issue.  They seemed to not be able to pick a direction.  Rogers showing up old suggests time loop, but  2014 Gamora presumably running free in the 2023 suggest split timeline.

That's fair.  It's definitely messy. 

I wonder if they are going to use some of that to do some kind of multiverse thing down the line.

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Lotta time travel problems...but looking at my avatar should tell you who my favorite hero has been over my long life.

The battle scenes against all odds...the hammer...the cinching of the shield to his arm...that 15 min segment will get played a lot on my DVD copy when I buy it!

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Pretty sure the big thing in the comics a few years ago was "Secret Wars"... the multiverse breaking down.  They could use these time travel inconsistencies as a jumping off point for the next phase of the MCU - and if they choose to, it could be used to introduce the X-Men/Fantastic Four since they now own those properties... but my guess is they'll reboot them instead of using the existing versions.  At the very least, it'll be a fringe reason for Deadpool showing up as-is.

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 10:01:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
EPIC movie...

DC - Take notes. DC stuff getting better with Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Shazam moies...

But Endgame was simply EPIC.

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 11:02:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
thankfully
Actually, there was a scene towards the end of Captain Marvel's fight with Thanos that Thanos punched her in the face several times and Captain Marvel didn't even flinch. She just kept sheepishly grinning at him.

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
thankfully
Actually, there was a scene towards the end of Captain Marvel's fight with Thanos that Thanos punched her in the face several times and Captain Marvel didn't even flinch. She just kept sheepishly grinning at him.

Thanos needed to use the power stone to get her off of him.

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I don’t understand how iron man took the stones from Thanos?

Can anyone answer this. Last movie especially and in this movie there are several scenes where they try to wrestle the gauntlet off of Thanos. Seemingly iron man makes a last ditch effort grabs the Guantlet for a second and is easily pushed away. And then.... hurray he magically has the stones on his hand!
Huh? How’d he do that?

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »

Kiorrik

Easy: Thanos isn't wearing his own gauntlet; it's the one made out of nanomachines or nanites or whatever. It's Ironman's glove. Same way it changes shape into weird stuff, like in the previous Avengers, when it changed into a blade.

It just morphed the stones over to HIS arm.