Author Topic: Avengers Endgame: Reaction thread (expect spoilers)  (Read 21075 times)

Re: Avengers Endgame: Reaction thread (expect spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
At the AMC in Danvers, out of 24 theatres, 20 were dedicated to showing Avengers: Endgame. I think I read that the movie was opening simultaneously in China, which never happens, so the Thursday to Sunday global take might break $1 billion. That has never happened before.

As for the movie, it started slow but built up incredibly. The theater was completely silent except for some sobs where Black Widow and Iron man died. But the big return of all the heroes coming back for the final fight had the theater cheering out loud.

Strangely, when it ended, I got up because I knew there was no post credit scenes, but everyone stayed. I went to the bathroom and in there heard people complaining about the lack of a post credit scene. Three hour movie and people still wanted that post credit scene.

I'm pretty sure it opened last week in China.
I think it opened earlier this week on Tuesday rather than the entire US release on Thursday, though the "premiere" of the movie was Tuesday here too. Point being China is usually opening later, sometimes much later, than almost all movies released here in the states. This time they opened in the same week...basically simultaneously.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!$

I give it 7 out of 10...
Didnt like "smart" Hulk
Love how Captain America went
Surprise Tony dies
Very shock Black Widow died..going do a PRE Black Widow movie in future so her death is real
If Nebula kill her "old" shelf, then how come her futere self didnt die?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 07:00:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Plot problem I had, the small hand held technology that helped stear each person through time could only move one person through time at a time.

How the hell did Thanos get his entire army, spaceship and weaponry through the time machine with only the controller of a single person?

That bugged me a lot.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!$

I give it 7 out of 10...
Didnt like "smart" Hulk
Love how Captain America went
Surprise Tony dies
Very shock Black Widow died..going do a PRE Black Widow movie in future so her death is real
If Nebula kill her "old" shelf, then how come her futere self didnt die?
Actually really enjoyed Professor Hulk, as he was known in the comics. Also absolutely loved out of shape, there for comedic relief, Thor.

Thor now being part of the AsGuardians of the Galaxy will make for a great third GOTG film.

Disappointed how they used Captain Marvel.

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Yes i agree about Captain Marvel also..didnt like how they used her in the film..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Just saw it and really enjoyed the film.  Time travel is just problematic in general.  What annoys me is when they spend all this time establishing the “rules” and then proceed to break EVERY SINGLE ONE.  Why are Peter Parker’s buddies all still in high school?  Did they take a sabbatical after the events of Infinity War?

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 04:35:22 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Garbage movie wasn't exciting at all very predictable and the worst part of it all is the ending makes absolutely no sense..

Captain America would never stay in the past, it goes against pretty much everything he believes he's a selfless individual.

Also when returning the stones at the end they weren't in their original forms example space stone wasn't the teseract... Aether should have been liquid and would they just inject it back into Jane?

I have no idea how one would even return the soul stone lol like go back to vormir and pray at the shrine...

Movie made no sense the entire time travel thing was poorly done... Many plot holes captain Marvel was used extremely poorly aswell.

Thank god for game of thrones a true cinematic masterpiece

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 05:16:49 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Plot problem I had, the small hand held technology that helped stear each person through time could only move one person through time at a time.

How the hell did Thanos get his entire army, spaceship and weaponry through the time machine with only the controller of a single person?

That bugged me a lot.

This and the fact that Rogers showed back up in this timeline instead of growing old in some other timeline.  If this was possible, Nebula would be dead.  On the flip side, 2014 Thanos got dusted, so there is a timeline where stark, vision, and black widow should still be alive.

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
I don’t understand how iron man took the stones from Thanos?

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
$1.2 billion in first 5 days globally. I think I read the film cost $350 million to make. Not a bad bit of profit for Disney.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 08:26:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just saw it and really enjoyed the film.  Time travel is just problematic in general.  What annoys me is when they spend all this time establishing the “rules” and then proceed to break EVERY SINGLE ONE.  Why are Peter Parker’s buddies all still in high school?  Did they take a sabbatical after the events of Infinity War?
I mean, you can have complaints about some of the time travel in the movie... but that's not a valid one.

Obviously, his friend was also one of the 50% who were dusted.  That's why they gave each other a relieved glance when they saw each other in the school... since presumably half the kids they knew from that school are now long gone in College.

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I want to see what they do with Loki having the Tesseract. Obviously that was put in there to bring him back for the supposed Loki television show Marvel is going to do, but I would love it if it means he is a part of more Marvel movies. Loki is without a doubt, my favorite MCU character.

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 08:32:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That bugged me a lot.

This and the fact that Rogers showed back up in this timeline instead of growing old in some other timeline.  If this was possible, Nebula would be dead.  On the flip side, 2014 Thanos got dusted, so there is a timeline where stark, vision, and black widow should still be alive.

They spend a lot of effort to say that returning the stones would preserve everything in a single timeline...

Keeping in mind it's a comicbook movie... but...  for what it's worth, here's a breakdown of the logic:

Step 1:  Travel back in time to grab the stones.

Step 2:  Once in the present - unsnap everyone back to life

Step 3:  Return the stones back to where they belonged in the past - thus preserving the timeline as one.

Cap returns the stones... and then instead of jumping back to the present he just decides to take the long way around and hang out in the past.  Once an old man, he just hangs out on a park bench at the correct time they were expecting him to return. 

Now, really the only valid complaint you can make is that him staying in the past and presumably marrying Peggy would create an alt universe.   The counter to that is this... it's possibly when old lady Peggy talked about marrying her "husband" that Cap saved in the war - she was actually talking about Cap himself... and that the "husband" was always Cap.  Just that Cap laid low with an alternate identity and Peggy covered for him.

That's a little trippy, but it fits with the wonky time travel logic of comicbooks.  If you think that's bad... try watching CW's Flash or Doctor Who.  There's always some ridiculous wibbly wobbly timey wimey nonsense that doesn't really fully hold up if you try to make sense of it.

Now, if they want to... these little timeline inconsistencies can be plotlines of future content.  For example, Loki is seen making off with the tesseract... my guess that will be a key part of the Loki TV show they are going to have on Disney+

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
I mean, you can have complaints about some of the time travel in the movie... but that's not a valid one.

Obviously, his friend was also one of the 50% who were dusted.  That's why they gave each other a relieved glance when they saw each other in the school... since presumably half the kids they knew from that school are now long gone in College.

Obviously, if they were both part of the 50% that got dusted then to both of them it would seem no time passed. So why the greatvrelief tonsee each other?

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 08:38:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Obviously, if they were both part of the 50% that got dusted then to both of them it would seem no time passed. So why the greatvrelief tonsee each other?
Because they both knew they were dead for 5 years. Remember, Peter told Stark on the battlefield that he dusted away, then went away but now is back. The people who died knew they died. I think happiness to see each other would be off the charts.