Author Topic: 2024 MLB Season  (Read 18145 times)

Re: 2023-24 MLB Offseason
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2024, 05:26:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The league has to suspend him to start the season. At least a month.

There is still a chance that Ohtani just was robbed by a close friend. The demands for a pound of flash without any information is pretty outrageous. This article has all the kind of possible outcomes of this.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2024/3/23/24109952/shohei-ohtani-gambling-intepreter-mlb-investigation-biggest-questions
If you believe that I'd like to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn.

I mean seriously, his friend steals 4.5 million, but directly transfers 500k on 2 different occasions directly to a book maker.  Why not steal all of the money the same way.  why create such a blatantly obvious paper trail?  It didn't happen.  It makes no sense.  Ohtani paid the bookie directly either 1. because he was helping a friend who got into trouble or 2. because the friend was betting on Ohtani's behalf.  Either way it is 2 direct payments from Ohtani to an illegal bookmaker.  That is a suspendable offense by itself.  That is why he has to be suspended.  That actually happened.

Why don't we actually just wait to see what actually happened? You are acting like the guy stole the money from you. We literally just had an executive for the jags get like 24 million from the organization.

I'll add that I think it is very unlikely this guy just stole the money from him, but I don't think it is impossible.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 05:37:47 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2024, 07:49:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

There is still a chance that Ohtani just was robbed by a close friend. The demands for a pound of flash without any information is pretty outrageous. This article has all the kind of possible outcomes of this.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2024/3/23/24109952/shohei-ohtani-gambling-intepreter-mlb-investigation-biggest-questions

I mean seriously, his friend steals 4.5 million, but directly transfers 500k on 2 different occasions directly to a book maker.  Why not steal all of the money the same way.  why create such a blatantly obvious paper trail?  It didn't happen.  It makes no sense.  Ohtani paid the bookie directly either 1. because he was helping a friend who got into trouble or 2. because the friend was betting on Ohtani's behalf.  Either way it is 2 direct payments from Ohtani to an illegal bookmaker.  That is a suspendable offense by itself.  That is why he has to be suspended.  That actually happened.

Why don't we actually just wait to see what actually happened? You are acting like the guy stole the money from you. We literally just had an executive for the jags get like 24 million from the organization.

I'll add that I think it is very unlikely this guy just stole the money from him, but I don't think it is impossible.
the investigation will determine how long the suspension is, but he absolutley should not play to start the year because 1 million dollars was transferred directly from his account to a bookie. And that happened months ago. The money wasn't transferred last week, Ohtani discovered it, and reported it.  If that had been the case, I'd find what he is saying now far more credible.  He sat on this supposed theft for months and only came forward when the federal investigation became public. 

If they don't suspend him, the hypocrisy of MLB will have no bounds.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2024, 08:51:20 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

the investigation will determine how long the suspension is, but he absolutley should not play to start the year because 1 million dollars was transferred directly from his account to a bookie. And that happened months ago. The money wasn't transferred last week, Ohtani discovered it, and reported it.  If that had been the case, I'd find what he is saying now far more credible.  He sat on this supposed theft for months and only came forward when the federal investigation became public. 

You are very confident in your opinions about something which you have virtually no evidence about.

« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2024, 09:32:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

You are very confident in your opinions about something which you have virtually no evidence about.

This exactly what I have been saying it’s just weird at this point. Feels like Moranis made a massive bet on the dodgers under for wins or something lol

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2024, 09:17:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Left-hander Jordan Montgomery and the Arizona Diamondbacks are in agreement on a one-year, $25 million contract that includes a vesting player option for a second season, sources told ESPN on Tuesday night, bolstering the National League champions' rotation with the postseason standout from the team that beat them in the World Series.

I've got to say, I'm shocked that he got such a minimal contract.  The Red Sox should have beaten that, but really about 25 teams should have.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2024, 09:20:10 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Left-hander Jordan Montgomery and the Arizona Diamondbacks are in agreement on a one-year, $25 million contract that includes a vesting player option for a second season, sources told ESPN on Tuesday night, bolstering the National League champions' rotation with the postseason standout from the team that beat them in the World Series.

I've got to say, I'm shocked that he got such a minimal contract.  The Red Sox should have beaten that, but really about 25 teams should have.

Red Sox aren't even trying. Hell, I'd argue they should have just signed both Snell + Montgomery this offseason if this was the going rates (2/62M Snell, 2/50M Montgomery). No joke, that alone could have made them an automatic playoff team IMO. And it's not really risky because it's only 2-year deals.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2024, 11:52:47 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Not offseason anymore but I'll just put it here. Apparently Oakland will move to playing in West Sacramento starting next year, and will play there from 2025-2027 until their move to Vegas in 2028. So this is the last year officially they will actually play in Oakland.

« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2024, 11:56:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not offseason anymore but I'll just put it here. Apparently Oakland will move to playing in West Sacramento starting next year, and will play there from 2025-2027 until their move to Vegas in 2028. So this is the last year officially they will actually play in Oakland.

A 14,000 seat stadium.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2024, 02:50:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

A 14,000 seat stadium.

So 1,000 fans and 13,000 empty seats  :P

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2024, 01:54:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Update on the Ohtani saga.

Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
17m
US Attorney Martin Estrada announces a federal criminal complaint against Ippei Mizuhara.

The complaint alleges bank fraud, to finance “voracious appetite for illegal sports betting.”
Nicole Auerbach reposted
Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
US Attorney Martin Estrada said the bank account was set up by Ippei Mizuhara in 2018.

He said the Ippei's illegal gambling began in 2021, and his bets became more and more prevalent.

"The bets do not appear to have been made on the sport of baseball."
12:38 PM · Apr 11, 2024
·
 Views

Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
13m
US Attorney Martin Estrada said Ippei Mizuhara stole more than $16 million from Shohei Ohtani.

He allegedly lied to the bank to steal the money. And pretended to be Ohtani in order to convince the bank to approve the wire transfers.
Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
11m
When Ippei did win a bet, the money was not deposited into Ohtani's bank account. Rather, the US attorney said, it would go into Ippei's bank account.

He "used and abused that position of trust."
Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
2m
Bank fraud carries a statutory maximum of 30 years in prison.

The U.S. attorney did not say to what degree Ippei Mizuhara complied with the investigation.

He's set to appear in federal court in the coming days.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2024, 03:53:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Edit double post
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:36:53 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2024, 04:43:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Just curious, now that his interpreter was charged with stealing the money would you admit you were wrong on this?

Re: 2024 MLB Season
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2024, 10:36:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Lot of information here: https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/mlb/2024/4/11/24127893/shohei-ohtani-interpreter-ippei-mizuhara-guilty-plea-16-million-gambling-scandal

At this point you either think there is a massive conspiracy theory that the federal government is in on. Or it has become apparent that ohtani was the victim of a very massive crime. The people that demanded a pound of flesh from him should learn the importance of waiting for an investigation from this story. Our society has become too interested in rushing to judgement with a 24 hour news cycle

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2024, 12:36:22 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Let’s discuss this bridge….

More info keeps coming out how interpreter did this. Here is one particular smoking gun. https://x.com/shoheisaveus/status/1778509531124990020?s=46
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 01:10:04 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2024, 06:59:54 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Update on the Ohtani saga.

Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
17m
US Attorney Martin Estrada announces a federal criminal complaint against Ippei Mizuhara.

The complaint alleges bank fraud, to finance “voracious appetite for illegal sports betting.”
Nicole Auerbach reposted
Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
US Attorney Martin Estrada said the bank account was set up by Ippei Mizuhara in 2018.

He said the Ippei's illegal gambling began in 2021, and his bets became more and more prevalent.

"The bets do not appear to have been made on the sport of baseball."
12:38 PM · Apr 11, 2024
·
 Views

Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
13m
US Attorney Martin Estrada said Ippei Mizuhara stole more than $16 million from Shohei Ohtani.

He allegedly lied to the bank to steal the money. And pretended to be Ohtani in order to convince the bank to approve the wire transfers.
Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
11m
When Ippei did win a bet, the money was not deposited into Ohtani's bank account. Rather, the US attorney said, it would go into Ippei's bank account.

He "used and abused that position of trust."
Sam Blum
@SamBlum3
·
2m
Bank fraud carries a statutory maximum of 30 years in prison.

The U.S. attorney did not say to what degree Ippei Mizuhara complied with the investigation.

He's set to appear in federal court in the coming days.

It’s appearing plausible if not likely that Shohei was a victim and not a participant in nefarious actions.  Does go to show that ‘naive’ takes that are often scoffed at are sometimes correct.  When situations like this emerge, it’s usually a rush to believe the worst - in this case with no one knowing details, no one knowing Shohei or the interpreter, know one (probably) knowing what it’s like to have tens of millions of dollars in the bank and entrusting someone to the point that they have access to accounts. People just rush to thinking they know how the world operates and how people operate and therefore jump to conclusions and roll their eyes at those who think otherwise.

Not everyone here or elsewhere presumed Shohei had involvement, but many did. Shows that patience is probably the wiser way to go.

EDIT: wrote the above before reading what CC wrote. I agree with you.