Author Topic: 2014 Celticsblog Historical Draft Interest Thread  (Read 23163 times)

2014 Celticsblog Historical Draft Interest Thread
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its time for the 5th Annual CB Historical Draft. I am gauging interest in people who would like to own teams as well as panelists. I will be a panelist as well as commissioner this year.

SCHEDULING: The draft would run from Monday October 6th to Thursday October 16th. Finals rosters and presentations due on Monday October 20th. Voting by Wednesday October 22nd and recognition and awards will be done on Thursday October 23rd

Regarding times, if in any response in this thread you want to post your desire for what time works best for you, let me know.

RULES: Each player will be assigned a team and run that team as it's owner. Players to be drafted will be any player that played in the NBA or ABA between the years 1960 to present. Once a player is drafted he is the property of that team. Once all rounds of the draft are over, each owner will be required to submit a roster picking the season that each of his or her players will be represented by. The season chosen must be a season within the career of the player.

Format change this year is that each team owner must have their roster be filled with three players from each of the following time frames:

3 players from 1960-73  ERA 1
3 players from 1974-86  ERA 2
3 players from 1987-00  ERA 3
3 players from 2001-Pres  ERA 4
1 player from any era

If you choose a player that that spans different time frames then the year you select as representation for that player will place that player within that era.

Example:
In the first round I choose Bill Russell. In the second round I choose Larry Bird. Now Russell played his entire career during the 1960-1973 era so whatever year I choose for him doesn't matter, he is an ERA 1 player. But Larry played from 80-92. So depending on what year an owner chooses for Bird he could be either an ERA 2 or ERA 3 player.

The years given represent the last year of the season. So 1960 is the 1959-1960 season, 1987 is the 1986-1987 season and so on. Team owners are not required to determine which year will represent their player until the rosters are submitted after the draft. That should help to disguise who you may or may not need to draft as the draft goes on.

Any owner that does not fill the requirement of having at least 3 players from every era will be disqualified from post season awards

The draft will be a snake draft. There will be 13 rounds. October 6th-October 10th there will be one round per day with picks in 15 minute intervals. That weekend will begin a draft for coaches only that will not be rushed. The order will be reversed from that of the first round of the draft. This will be more casual and no times will be assigned for  teams to select their coach by spanning the entire rest of the draft so that people can have a life.

The 6th through 13th rounds will be two rounds per day for 4 days with picks in 10 minute intervals.  These rounds will take place on October 13th through October16th. When the draft ends there will be a period over the next couple of days to trade and the trade deadline will end on October 19th at 11:59:59 PM EST. On October 20th 11:59:59 PM EST all final rosters with a minimum of 13 players will need to be submitted.

I am hoping to put together a 5 person panel of respected Celticsblog members to judge the final results and give out awards. On October 20th and 21st, owners will be able to make a presentation to the panelists for why they believe their team should receive an award. On October 22nd the panel will submit their votes for recognition and all recognitions will be announced on Thursday October 23rd, along with individual player honors.

The categories to compete:

Best Overall Team
Best Defensive Team
Best Offensive Team

Teams will be assigned to players on Friday October 3rd and the draft lottery will be held at the same time. There will be a trading moratorium in place until October 6th at 10AM at which point trades can be made and/or announced. All trades will need to meet league approval. If I feel there is a trade that is questionable and not in the interest of the game, I as commissioner will disallow it. Note, even though I will be consulting with the panel as to what their opinions of the trade in question is, I, as commissioner will have final word and approval. Also note, we are trading the best players ever having their best seasons ever so most trades will probably get approved unless there is some ridiculous outlier of a trade. Trades must be presented to the commissioner by both parties via personal message and announced by the commissioner before they are considered done. If trying to beat a deadline on the time for a pick, make the selection for the team and then do the trade.

I have a list of eligible players that I  will post in the draft thread.

The main rule here is the same for all of Celticsblog, respect each other and have fun. Friendly banter is allowed and encouraged but ultimately this is for fun. The commissioner will have the authority to replace team owners due to behavior or lack of performance. In the event of the inability to find a suitable replacement, the team could be dissolved and the players re-entered into the draft. This will be a decision that will be avoided at all costs and will be a last resort scenario.

Discuss advice on your team from the panelists publicly in thread or if you wish, discuss individual players with the panelists via PM. But remember the team will still be yours and the pick your pick and several panelists will be judging the teams. So remember that.

Picks are due before the time listed in the Draft Thread. I am still waiting for feedback on times but a schedule will be given in the draft thread. Owners may make their selection at anytime before their allotted deadline so long as the owner of the pick in front of them has made their pick or exceeded his/her allotted deadline.

If an owner will not be available to make a selection he can give a list of players that he would be willing to draft in preferential order to the commissioner, or a panelist, or another owner. IMPORTANT: Please supply a list long enough to still have one available player left in case all the teams selecting in front of you happen to select all the players you desire. A fill in selector CAN NOT arbitrarily make the selection for you, they must have a name of a player that is provided to them that is available.

If for some reason an owner does not make a selection then at 9:00 PM on the night of the round where a selection was not made I will be polling our panelists for their top players still available. From this list a cumulative list will be made. If the team that missed their selection has not made the selection by  the start of the next round(s) then players will be assigned to teams by the commissioner off of this cumulative list. If more than one selection needs to be assigned then the best available player will go to the team that had the highest pick, the 2nd best player to the team with the second highest pick, and so on.

All teams must remain in the city that is assigned. The owner of that team my change the name of the team but the team may not leave the city in question. No switching of teams is allowed.

HAVE FUN AND LEARN SOME HISTORY!!

So if you want to be a team owner let me know here and if you want to be a panelist let me know that too.

PANELISTS

nickagneta
Rondo2287

TEAM OWNERS

Roy H.
GreenFaith1819
RebusRankin/wdleehi?????
Yoki_IstheName
freshinthehouse
Skywalker2.0
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:38:24 AM by nickagneta »

Re: 2014 Celticsblog Historical Draft Interest Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
If times are flexible, AKA I can read presentations and post at night i'll be down for being a panelist
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I will attempt to play. This will (hopefully) be my first year as a GM.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:27:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If times are flexible, AKA I can read presentations and post at night i'll be down for being a panelist
Yeah, most panelist things will be at night after the drafting and of course the big thing will be just giving advice and doing the voting at the end.

TP to you guys

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I most likely can not draft but I will be around to make comments or judge.

Or if a team just wants a personal adviser. 

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I can only GM with a partner, so a consultant role may work best. Either that or a panelist.

FYI: I'm the guy on the right.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I won't be playing, but I can vouch for Nick as a tremendous commissioner who will keep things running smoothly, in case that was a concern for anyone.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 03:28:05 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'll try to play as a GM, but timing will be crucial for me.

Hopefully I can pick during a 1:00pm-2:00pm window.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I'll try to play as a GM, but timing will be crucial for me.

Hopefully I can pick during a 1:00pm-2:00pm window.
We should be able to make things easy for you with the time my friend.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I won't be playing, but I can vouch for Nick as a tremendous commissioner who will keep things running smoothly, in case that was a concern for anyone.
Thanks Champ that's awfully kind of you TP

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
BUMP

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Would like to join, I've always loved being part of these.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
can't do it during those times this year.  have a trial October 15th.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Bumpity bump bump

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Come on people how could you not want to try to put together a team that could possibly include

Kevin Durant
Scottie Pippen
Bill Russell
Julius Erving
Isiah Thomas

or

Lebron
Karl Malone
Wilt Chamberlain
Bob Cousy
George Gervin

or

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
John Havlicek
Tom Heinsohn
Artis Gilmore

The combos are endless and quite probable.