Author Topic: 2020 Free Agency Thread  (Read 92888 times)

Re: 2020 Free Agency Thread
« Reply #345 on: November 21, 2020, 03:23:34 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I'd honestly prefer Baynes over Myles Turner. Baynes is a much more effective defender and improved his outside shot last year too

Yeah, provides toughness and an enforcer to the team, too. Something we desperately need. Also an Embiid and Lopez defender.

« Reply #346 on: November 21, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Did Serge Ibaka sign yet?

Ibaka, Rondo, Milsap and Baynes are all still available

Rondo looks poised for ATL or LAC.

I think Ibaka, Milsap, and Baynes all have certain advantages. I wonder what they're each looking for in terms of money? What are the dollar amounts we have in exceptions?

Out of that bunch, I'd love to take a run at Ibaka but he's probably out of our price range even at the full MLE.

I'd go for Baynes and Milsap.

Baynes and Milsap sounds GREAT to me.  If the unlikely were to happen and they could get both AB and PM, and if Nesmith and PP can hit the ground running, and if Jays continue to progress, this team is better than last year regardless of the loss of Hayward.

Lots of ifs.

« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I'd honestly prefer Baynes over Myles Turner. Baynes is a much more effective defender and improved his outside shot last year too

Yeah, provides toughness and an enforcer to the team, too. Something we desperately need. Also an Embiid body.

Yep, which is critical. Turner gets abused by Embiid.

« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
What do people think Millsap will cost? I'd like to see us sign him, but only if we can get another C to go with him

Would he be looking for the full MLE, or something like the BAE?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2020, 03:25:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
What do people think Millsap will cost? I'd like to see us sign him, but only if we can get another C to go with him

I would hope BAE so that we can use the MLE on a center. If he wants the MLE thats makes things tough for us

« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2020, 03:26:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Probably the BAE. At least I hope.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2020, 03:26:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Tristan Thompson is also still out there

« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2020, 03:29:12 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

If it's the BAE, then sign me right up. That would help a ton with both a veteran presence and some bench scoring.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #353 on: November 21, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Tristan Thompson is also still out there

Probably costs too much. Plus, I'd probably prefer some combination of Milsap, Baynes, and/or Ibaka anyways given their ability to actually spread the floor.

« Reply #354 on: November 21, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

If it's the BAE, then sign me right up. That would help a ton with both a veteran presence and some bench scoring.

I'm guessing with several suitors it's the MLE or close to all of it. Can always break the MLE up, I believe. Don't forget we have the Kanter TPE, too, which I believe is close to the level of the taxpayer's MLE.

« Reply #355 on: November 21, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

I'm guessing with several suitors it's the MLE or close to all of it. Can always break the MLE up, I believe. Don't forget we have the Kanter TPE, too, which I believe is close to the level of the taxpayer's MLE.

Can a team use TPE in the same way they use an MLE (signing)? I don't think so. I think TPE can be use to fill salary gaps in trades only.  Could be valuable -- and might be something to use in an S&T for one of the FAs?

« Reply #356 on: November 21, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I don't think he helps enough to be worth the full MLE. A sign-and-trade for the Kanter TPE would probably be the most I'd want to pay for him, TP for reminding me we had that

I just think we can get a better impact player (like Baynes) for $9 million
I'm bitter.

« Reply #357 on: November 21, 2020, 03:42:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Can a team use TPE in the same way they use an MLE (signing)? I don't think so. I think TPE can be use to fill salary gaps in trades only.  Could be valuable -- and might be something to use in an S&T for one of the FAs?

You can't sign a player with it, but you can sign-and-trade for a player with it. (just confirmed it here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q87)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #358 on: November 21, 2020, 03:47:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'd have no interest in him for $9.2m. I think we can get someone a little younger there.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #359 on: November 21, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1330243951568285697

Get him, Danny! Would probably prefer Ibaka, but I think he's out of our price range.
milsap would be fine for this year. though i also hope the celtics would look closely at giles. if his knees hold up he is a good player.

saric is nice to dream about, but he is a restricted free agent i think. I do not know what the cost of getting him would be. but on a CBS team i think he would be very valuable.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva