Author Topic: Perk shares reason why Rondo hates Ray  (Read 5746 times)

Re: Perk shares reason why Rondo hates Ray
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 11:05:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
their skillsets would've meshed perfectly imo, with the only concern being whether Pierce would be willing to scale down his offensive load next to a ball dominant superstar.

Rondo himself was quite ball dominant, so I think the team would have been fine in that regard.

Our offense and defense would have both been quite a bit better.  The only question is chemistry. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
their skillsets would've meshed perfectly imo, with the only concern being whether Pierce would be willing to scale down his offensive load next to a ball dominant superstar.

Rondo himself was quite ball dominant, so I think the team would have been fine in that regard.

Our offense and defense would have both been quite a bit better.  The only question is chemistry.
How worse could the chemistry be? Rondo and Ray ended up throwing punches at each other for crying out loud!

Obviously, we don't know both sides of the story. Based on what we know, it seems to me that Rondo's reaction was unprofessional and childish (to say the least).

I mean, Danny had advised Red to trade Bird and McHale cause they didn't have much left in the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8azMvUij95E&t=1m4s

Should Bird and McHale had thrown punches at Danny?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:27:47 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ray was right.  Boston absolutely should have traded Rondo for Paul.  Probably have another title if that happened.

New Orleans turned us down.  They wanted Curry, followed by Minnesota’s pick.  Rondo had developed a reputation as uncoachable and a difficult teammate.
Oh I know, but it was still the right move.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 06:22:24 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I think that perk might be off on some of his details. The CP3 trade was in 2011.  In 2009, Rondo had yet to make the all-star team.

I can believe that that happened in the 2011 off-season, but I think the Rondo beef preexisted that. The trade rumors might be what cemented it though.

Perk is probably remembering the details wrong, but Rondo absolutely blew up in the 2008-09 playoffs (w/o KG) putting together triple-double after triple-double and often carrying the team. Of course he would later go on to make All-Star teams in future seasons, but he was pushing superstar status during those playoffs.

Wasn't it the 2010 and 2011 playoffs when Rajon's spectacular performances started being referred to as, "Playoff Rondo" - not 2009 when it was a total team effort trying to defend that '08 trophy with Garnett out ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2020, 06:35:49 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

How worse could the chemistry be? Rondo and Ray ended up throwing punches at each other for crying out loud!

Obviously, we don't know both sides of the story. Based on what we know, it seems to me that Rondo's reaction was unprofessional and childish (to say the least).

I mean, Danny had advised Red to trade Bird and McHale cause they didn't have much left in the tank.

That is Danny's claim, which Bird disputes. Thankfully, Red Auerbach knew the right way to treat players who had given their career and their playing health to the Celtic organization. Even though we declined, the only right choice was to keep Bird and McHale.

Besides which, it isn't the choice to keep Bird/McHale past their prime that sent the Celtics into the longest streak of playoff failure in their history. It was the freak deaths of Bias and Lewis that did that.

Ainge created the problem with Ray Allen and subsequently Rondo by publicly shopping them on the trade market. Danny has a whole lot to learn about how to treat and manage players.

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

That is Danny's claim, which Bird disputes. Thankfully, Red Auerbach knew the right way to treat players who had given their career and their playing health to the Celtic organization. Even though we declined, the only right choice was to keep Bird and McHale.

Besides which, it isn't the choice to keep Bird/McHale past their prime that sent the Celtics into the longest streak of playoff failure in their history. It was the freak deaths of Bias and Lewis that did that.

Ainge created the problem with Ray Allen and subsequently Rondo by publicly shopping them on the trade market. Danny has a whole lot to learn about how to treat and manage players.
Just click the link I posted. Bird literally says ''Danny did tell Red he should trade us right now because we don't have much left in the tank''. I've even put a timestamp so you don't have to watch the whole video.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I tend to agree with this.

Tony Allen is another guy we really needed to keep, and who spoke about management/treatment being the reason he chose Memphis over us.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 11:47:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

Just click the link I posted. Bird literally says ''Danny did tell Red he should trade us right now because we don't have much left in the tank''. I've even put a timestamp so you don't have to watch the whole video.

I stand corrected - though didn't Bird at least dispute the details of who was supposedly being offered in the trade saying Danny was basically talking out of his ass by naming Chuck Persons and Detlef Schrempf as targets ?