Author Topic: Interesting Iverson Article  (Read 40183 times)

Re: Interesting Iverson Article
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Well GreenFaith, I don't think it's right calling anyone a hater or racist just the same as someone insulting a person's intelligence or ego.

I believe on a veteran team, Iverson can have that opportunity for redemption.

If at any point our roster is in need of a guard, either due to trade or injury, Iverson should be an option to look into.

« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2010, 12:29:11 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well GreenFaith, I don't think it's right calling anyone a hater or racist just the same as someone insulting a person's intelligence or ego.

I believe on a veteran team, Iverson can have that opportunity for redemption.

If at any point our roster is in need of a guard, either due to trade or injury, Iverson should be an option to look into.

And LB you are correct there, too - it is not right to insult someone's intelligence or ego.

That's the thing with blogs - certain issues can be become so contentious.

One thing can be said, though - you want a long thread? Talk about 'Toine or AI. Even Glen was a hot topic in some thread here recently.

And just like you, I believe that AI should be an option we look into if Nate or Ray sustained an injury. I think he could help us.

« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nick - you are correct. Allen Iverson does in fact have a huge ego.

Just like Kobe, Pierce, KG, Ray, Larry, Michael, etc......
Absolutely. And some of those guys have allowed their huge egos to get them in trouble and to do and say stupid things.

Kobe's Denver fiasco.
Pierce's "best player on the planet" comment.
Michael's gambling problems.
Etc.

AI's ego has caused him to say, do and assume some pretty stupid stuff too.
Out of all the players just named, only one of them has quit on his last three teams- literally packed his bags and went home.  I don't really see any comparison here.  And as for AI needing the right opportunity- the man picked his last two teams himself.  He obviously wanted to play for teams where he would have an opportunity to play big minutes and be the man.

« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
AI WANTED to play ball....he felt he could do it on a Memphis team with squat as stars...he figured wrong.

I believe the owners of the Grizzlies wanted to use AI to sell and market the team...and Wallace did his due diligence to cater to his bosses.

Neither Iverson nor Wallace nor the Grizzlies owners counted on poor communication between player and coaching staff.
The poor communication was between Iverson's ears. His thinking that he would start for a team that had established young starters in the positions he played and just replace them even though the franchise had committed to a youth movement similar to the one in Portland and OKC, was just plain stupid on his part.

He refused to look at the situation intelligently because of his huge ego that thought he makes any team better by starting for them. Long term it was better for the Grizz to stick with their youth movement and have AI come off the bench. The only person who couldn't see that was Iverson. The poor communication was entirely on Iverson.

I don't believe AI would sign with Memphis in a delusional state that he was going to come off the bench behind Mike Conley and OJ Mayo.

I am pretty certain that the Grizzlies used AI (for marketing reasons) just as AI planned to use the Grizzlies as a stage to prove he was not done and still in fact a star or at the very least an NBA "starter" with gas left.

There was no way Iverson signed with the Grizzlies with the plan for him to be a backup...he wouldn't have signed with a losing franchise to do play that way.

This is the same Iverson who didn't want to come off the bench behind Rip Hamilton....a guy who's won a championship and has a ton of more NBA swag than a Mike Conley or an OJ Mayo.

edit - no personal attacks - wdleehi
Racist??

Are you kidding me??

My kids are half Puertorican. I have nephews that are African=American and Brazilian. I have the closet of friends and family that come from countries all over the world and range in color from pasty white to the darkest black.

And as for hating. I hate Iverson's game and the way he acts, thinks and talks at times. I don't, however, know the guy though I know people who do. For all this defense you guys are putting up, you don't now him either. For all you know you could be defending a despicable human being. Stories I have heard tend to lean in that general direction.

As for insulting his intelligence. If a team signs you and does not state that you are going to be coming off the bench OR that you will be starting, then it must mean you have to earn your spot.

Iverson needed to look at the total situation and see where exactly he fit in. His go however would not allow him to see the writing on the wall., that being Memphis had committed to a youth movement in the starting positions and that he was going to be a role playing bench player. He just assumed he was the great "Allen Iverson" and that this team was hiring him to rescue them from mediocrity. His ego also doesn't allow him to see the corrosion of his skills that makes such a thought laughable.

He wasn't guaranteed not to start but he was neither guaranteed a starting role. THAT was his assumption based on his egotistic view of himself. That's not insulting his intelligence or his ego. That's just a purely accurate view of things.

And next time you pull that crap with the racist thing, I am reporting the comment. That was WAY out of line.