Author Topic: Celtics (45-23) at Raptors (49-18) Seeding Game #5 8/7/20  (Read 19404 times)

Re: Celtics (45-23) at Raptors (49-18) Seeding Game #5 8/7/20
« Reply #315 on: August 07, 2020, 11:43:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Timelord the xfactor these two games

Please let him stay healthy moving forward

« Reply #316 on: August 08, 2020, 12:15:21 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I must say, I think people definitely overrate this Raptors team. They have great depth, but no true number 1 option. Siakam is really good, but he just isn't great enough to be the lead scorer on a championship team. Not this year, at least. After that really hot start Siakam hasn't been as good as his numbers indicate.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #317 on: August 08, 2020, 12:20:45 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I'm happy to see Rob Williams getting some minutes these last two games, but I do not understand the limited use of Kanter (tonite DNP). The guy is a rebounding machine, provides our only post offense within a set possession, plays hard and has a great attitude. I understand that his feet are a bit clumsy at times but he gives plenty of effort on defense. Wasn't it Portland that he made such a difference for in their playoff run last season ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #318 on: August 08, 2020, 12:22:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #319 on: August 08, 2020, 12:27:13 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'm happy to see Rob Williams getting some minutes these last two games, but I do not understand the limited use of Kanter (tonite DNP). The guy is a rebounding machine, provides our only post offense within a set possession, plays hard and has a great attitude. I understand that his feet are a bit clumsy at times but he gives plenty of effort on defense. Wasn't it Portland that he made such a difference for in their playoff run last season ?

Toronto is a bad matchup for him. They have two small quick guards (Lowry, VF) who can pull up and operate in the pick and roll, and two big men (Gasol, Ibaka) who can stretch you all the way out to three. Those are the exact types of players Kanter has  problems guarding.

« Reply #320 on: August 08, 2020, 12:28:48 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
I miss you too..

LEON "Po Pimpin" POWE

I miss all three of those guys - Powe, House & Posey. Great bench - tough, competitive as hell, smart players. I will always remember the House jumper from the right wing that finally gave the Celtics the lead in that Game 4 comeback vs Lakers in '08.

« Reply #321 on: August 08, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Toronto is a bad matchup for him. They have two small quick guards (Lowry, VF) who can pull up and operate in the pick and roll, and two big men (Gasol, Ibaka) who can stretch you all the way out to three. Those are the exact types of players Kanter has  problems guarding.
Bingo. Kanter is awful when forced to guard outside the paint. He'll probably get a good amount of minutes against teams like the Sixers who really can't punish him that much.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2020, 12:39:05 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2020, 12:47:14 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
This right here is the type of basketball we've been capable of playing all year long that injuries have robbed of us.

Best basketball we've played in a long, long time. And it's not just Tatum or Kemba winning it for us; it's a combined, team effort. LOVE IT!

Key is the defense - always, the defense. Celts came out intense and were anticipating every help situation, rotating beautifully, focused on that end. When they bring the defensive focus and energy, they tend to also play better offensively, move the ball and shoot well.

« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2020, 12:56:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Bingo. Kanter is awful when forced to guard outside the paint. He'll probably get a good amount of minutes against teams like the Sixers who really can't punish him that much.
Yep, would have been exposed against Ibaka. RW is the much better match-up, especially with how well Theis played
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #325 on: August 08, 2020, 01:35:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Kanter only helps against the likesof Jokic and Nurkic.  Guy who would put too much stress on Timelord and Theis on the interior

Timelord made guys like Lowry/Vanvleet think twice before driving in

« Reply #326 on: August 08, 2020, 05:22:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Didn't get to see this till this morning. Great 1st and 3rd quarters.

I said before that Brown should be better than Siakam as they were already equal to me. Brown has taken off since the break and is currently better. Tatum is very much looking for Brown when he has the ball which is starting to feel like a legit one-two punch. Next year can be special if Hayward is still on board and we get more development. Still need to improve the bench 8-9.

« Reply #327 on: August 08, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I must say, I think people definitely overrate this Raptors team. They have great depth, but no true number 1 option. Siakam is really good, but he just isn't great enough to be the lead scorer on a championship team. Not this year, at least. After that really hot start Siakam hasn't been as good as his numbers indicate.

I don't believe most people overrate the Raptors.  If anything, they were heavily slept on to start the season and people gradually began to respect their display of continuity in the face of losing Kawhi.  Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if most people view the Raptors as true title contenders.  As you stated, they lack a clear cut top tier player.

That being said, they are going to be a tough out for any team in the Eastern Conference.  The Celtics were awesome last night but Toronto didn't show up with anything close to playoff intensity.  At the end of the day the Celtics don't have a LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis etc., which means they're still vulnerable against a team like Toronto. 

I'm still taking the Celtics in a 7 game series but it could definitely go either way.  I also believe the Celtics have a shot to win the title.  Our margin for error is just smaller than the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers.     

« Reply #328 on: August 08, 2020, 08:02:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Did you listen to Perk in the post-game?  He made a great point that the Raptors were missing wide open shots, including 3's, that they normally make.  I was surprised at how many misses of open 3-pt shots they had.  Siakam 1-5, VanVleet 1-6, Ibaka 0-4, Lowry 0-3, Gasol 0-3.  Toronto is fifth highest team 3-pt% this season, Boston is tenth.

I like the beat-down, but let's not kid ourselves.

« Reply #329 on: August 08, 2020, 08:36:49 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Did you listen to Perk in the post-game?  He made a great point that the Raptors were missing wide open shots, including 3's, that they normally make.  I was surprised at how many misses of open 3-pt shots they had.  Siakam 1-5, VanVleet 1-6, Ibaka 0-4, Lowry 0-3, Gasol 0-3.  Toronto is fifth highest team 3-pt% this season, Boston is tenth.

I like the beat-down, but let's not kid ourselves.

Agreed.  The Celtics were playing with purpose from the jump but Toronto didn't really answer the bell.  A playoff series against them would be a dog fight.