Author Topic: This is only Semis Ojeleye's third season  (Read 2023 times)

This is only Semis Ojeleye's third season
« on: July 13, 2020, 08:49:09 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Semi was a late bloomer in college but this year his shooting has finally started to kick in. Semi is a elite athlete but doesn't have the length factor and I believe his adjustment both from three and closing at the hoop has taken its time, But this season you could see the improvement .His lateral and strength with his finally improved shooting make him a 3&d asset.
Don't sleep on Semi he has been doing push ups in the corner. His work ethic and discipline will  payoff as  a plug in defender that spreads the floor and hits for a high % from corner.
He is always good for drawing charges on Giannis and that gets in his head .Getting him into foul trouble can be the difference between winning a series or not.

Re: This is only Semis Ojeleye's third season
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Semi was a late bloomer in college but this year his shooting has finally started to kick in. Semi is a elite athlete but doesn't have the length factor and I believe his adjustment both from three and closing at the hoop has taken its time, But this season you could see the improvement .His lateral and strength with his finally improved shooting make him a 3&d asset.
Don't sleep on Semi he has been doing push ups in the corner. His work ethic and discipline will  payoff as  a plug in defender that spreads the floor and hits for a high % from corner.
He is always good for drawing charges on Giannis and that gets in his head .Getting him into foul trouble can be the difference between winning a series or not.

And not just Giannis.

Tomasz Kordylewski has a recent highlight video for Ojeleye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fBH8MV07uA

Charges drawn:
:18 Jimmy Butler
:48 Mike Conley
2:50 Dion Waiters
5:25 Giannis

And here's Tomasz' video for Celtics drawing charges this season (six of them are Semi):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnLgEhhhuA0

More charges drawn:
:03 Ben Simmons
1:37 James Harden
4:49 Harden again

You mention his lack of length, which is a good point - but, as Brad Stevens has noted, he protects the paint by getting in front of the drive; he's one of the league leaders per minute in charges drawn, but of course that's only the tip of the iceberg.

He's never been a productive rebounder.

He's not great at moving the ball - compare to Grant for instance. Having said that, his turnover% is tiny; he's careful with the ball - in this you could also compare him to Grant, this time to Semi's advantage.

It's obvious to assume that those two are in competition; and yet they are in the game together a fair amount because of Grant's ability to guard up and Semi's super versatility.

The good 3-pt% is certainly welcome; obviously that enhances his value going forward. I have to say I'm not a fan of the wider stance, which makes the low back more rigid. But it's hard to argue with the results.

That first video also shows a couple of beautiful finishes off the dribble; but he was a lot more productive in that area in year two. This season he just has not had the opportunities. Too bad, because he's got a varied repertoire, with both finesse and power finishes through contact.

He's also gone from being a grade-D FT shooter last season to nearly AAA - .893 on a small sample size.

A tenth man with his skills and work ethic is a tremendous asset, especially at the bargain price.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Semi continues to improve on his 3 point shooting, and selectively takes to rack, he will be playing well above his contract. 

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
One of our best Greek Freak defenders.

Looking forward to seeing him (and BOS) back in action soon.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
I think getting used to NBA speed and length is a daunting task the first couple of years. Semi played real cautious when getting his time but you can just see and feel the difference .Is it enough with Grant. I'm a length junkie not biceps but Semi has that core strength and gets down on defence and slides like nobody that size should -What was his Combine time? When he runs he glides just smooth for his weight
I hate getting attached to players that the Celtics built or rejuvenated.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:17:23 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thanks for hoops post, rollie!

Semi was at the top of his conference on offense in college, long ago. Of course, he's on the court with usually, three top scorers so, offense isn't the calling card, but, he truly shows an arc of improvement on offense since coming here.

It seems confidence is helping as he is really tough on a drive to the hoop and is taking more of them....if he doesn't pass it to an all star shooter, of course.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 01:50:48 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Semi Ojeleye might pan out to be our next Avery Bradley-type player.

Have a breakout game and become relevant for the team

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 02:00:11 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
he is what he  is, which is a low end bench 3/D guy. And thats fine.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 04:23:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Semi turned me around this season. I was pretty low on him as he hadn’t really shown to improve his jump shot, but now that he’s hitting 3’s at a respectable clip, free throws at a really solid clip and actually making some layups / dunks, he’s worth every penny. Good 9th / 10th man as is. Any further development is just icing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 05:53:07 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
In 2017 Combine both vertical measurements top 5 -I think 40.5 was his max vertical was tied for 5th with Donovan Mitchell and 35 standing vert. was 3rd
Lane agility was third and 3/4 court was in top 10.
And ranked number 10 at body weight 241 lbs.
Considering his weight and strength to be 3rd in lane agility competing with guards and his 3/4 quarter sprint make him a unique athlete that's defence should improve as well as offence.
Things that worked in college didn't at NBA level  .I watched his recent highlight tape and he learned how to use the rim on his baseline attacks. Semi has spent years with Drew Hanlon and it will most likely pay off with further dividends with his 3 point shot.
Some players build on something each year and he has Grant as competition
I think I also saw a confidence and growth in his ball handling skills, He has a low turnover rate, if i'm correct.
How many guys not named Zion have the combination that Semi has ?

Grant has 26 standing vertical and 31 max vertical(from memory)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:26:58 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Semi hit his 3 point shot his last year at SMU. at 42% He struggled his freshman year and sophomore years with playing time at Duke  and transferred to SMU and flourished leading the team to the  AAC conference championship then won the AAC tournament and was awarded AAC Player of Year..
Semi almost didn't commit but impressed at combine and was talked into going forward .
Celtics drafted him at 37.
 Semi's max vertical tied him with Donavon (40.5) at 5th but it was his standing vertical that set him apart at(35) he was third and lane agility placed third and 3/4 court came in under 10th..

I think Semi in his first two season just adjusted to length ,strength and speed of game. And the bench.
His turnover rate was low but his shot didn't fall and he played defence and headed for the corner.
He also drew some tough assignments with little help from refs against superstars.
And there was the Kyrie division.
Semi picked up his foul shooting to almost elite in 2019 and hit for a nice % from the corner.
He had a 23 point game showing what he could do.
I think Semi like his college career just needed some time, unfortunately he now has Grant grabbing the spot light .And Grant is not shy about throwing his body around and giving a hard foul.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:44:14 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
felt like ten years