Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 398408 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #1650 on: January 25, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The Euroleague is no joke. It's the second best basketball league in the world.
See, it's this I disagree with. The Euroleague level of competition is about equal to top 25 college basketball and the G League. It's level of competition isn't anywhere close to the NBA. So though you may call it the 2nd best league in the world, it's like saying Ryan Arcidiacono(Euroleague) is the 2nd best point guard in the room when the other point guards are Brad Wanamaker(G League), Tremont Waters(NCAA basketball) and Magic Johnson(the NBA)

A 17 year old could never dominate the NBA. The greatest of the greatest NBA players really didn't dominate the NBA until they were 20-21 years old, minimum.
There is definitely a big gape, but it's not as big as you portray it to be. In fact, I'd take plenty of Euroleague players over our current players: Mirotic, Larkin (former Celtic), Nando De Colo, Jan Vesely, Cory Higgins (deadly shooter, great defender), Alexey Shved just to name a few. Most of these players (if not all of them) have had offers from NBA teams but they prefer to play in the Euroleague cause they earn more money there.

The minimum salary in the NBA goes like this:

0 years of NBA experience: $898,310
1 year: $1,445,697
2 years: $1,620,564
3 years: $1,678,854
etc

Top Euroleague teams offer their star players more money than that. Mind you, the above figures are before taxes. US based players pay up to 37% of their income in federal tax. For instance, a player making $900K in the US would pay around $300K in federal tax, hence he'll end up with about $600K. That's without counting the state tax, which varies from one state to another (in Massachusetts it's a flat 5.1% tax).

Btw, most teams in Europe operate under a different system: It's the teams that pay the tax on behalf of the players. What this means is, whenever you read about a contract offer from a Euroleague team, the whole sum of that money goes to the player. To put it another way, a reported offer of $1.5 million from an NBA team equals less money for the player than a reported offer of $1 million from a Euroleague team.

Anyway, I got off topic. My point is that there are plenty of good players around Europe. No wonder Danny has signed 4 players from Europe in recent years (Theis, Larkin, Wanamaker, Poirier).

It's level of competition isn't anywhere close to the NBA.
Obviously, the NBA has the best players in the world. Having said that, the top european leagues are super competitive. If you ask me, they are more competitive than the NBA.

The greatest of the greatest NBA players really didn't dominate the NBA until they were 20-21 years old, minimum.
Most of ''the greatest of the greatest NBA players'' didn't play in the NBA till they were 21-22 years old, cause they were staying 3-4 years in college.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:55:42 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #1651 on: January 25, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i always hope the Lakers get beat , worsest the mo better in my book

« Reply #1652 on: January 25, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
My hope is that Luka can get a Kareem, Worthy, Chief or McHale alongside him sooner than later...

Dude only needs ONE of those types, nowadays....don't think he needs a Big Three.

Hopefully Kristaps can develop along those lines and I'm pulling for him to do so.

Look at LeBron...dude has played with Prime Wade, Chris Bosh, Prime KLove, Kyrie......AD..

Durant has played with Westbrook, Prime Curry, Klay, Draymond.....

I'm REALLY pulling for this dude. His game is even more beautiful with good horses to run with him.

Give him JUST one of those kinds of players from LeBron's or Durant's list and he's set.
You're really on the Luka hype train.  How do you explain his poor defense?  Lack of ability or lack of effort?  What would you call a player shooting 32.7 3p% on 7.1 attempts and 32.2 3p% on 9.2 attempts in his 1st two seasons?   

I don't find Luka's performance that surprising.  He was clearly the best player in that draft regardless of not getting drafted #1.  The modern NBA game fits Luka like a glove.  He's young but he has a lot of basketball experience and has developed in a very professional environment.  Let's see how he does in the playoffs.  Let's see if he improves his game like Lebron did. 

Earlier, I didn't even mention KD, Curry, Harden, Dame.  Assuming KD and Curry come back strong, Luka is more around #10 than #2 at this point.  Performing great in the regular season is great but the playoffs are where star players proves themselves against other star players.  That's why I'd put Harden closer to #10 than #2 too. 

« Reply #1653 on: January 25, 2020, 05:00:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My hope is that Luka can get a Kareem, Worthy, Chief or McHale alongside him sooner than later...

Dude only needs ONE of those types, nowadays....don't think he needs a Big Three.

Hopefully Kristaps can develop along those lines and I'm pulling for him to do so.

Look at LeBron...dude has played with Prime Wade, Chris Bosh, Prime KLove, Kyrie......AD..

I'm REALLY pulling for this dude. His game is even more beautiful with good horses to run with him.

Give him JUST one of those kinds of players from LeBron's or Durant's list and he's set.
You're really on the Luka hype train.  How do you explain his poor defense?  Lack of ability or lack of effort?  What would you call a player shooting 32.7 3p% on 7.1 attempts and 32.2 3p% on 9.2 attempts in his 1st two seasons?   

I don't find Luka's performance that surprising.  He was clearly the best player in that draft regardless of not getting drafted #1.  The modern NBA game fits Luka like a glove.  He's young but he has a lot of basketball experience and has developed in a very professional environment.  Let's see how he does in the playoffs.  Let's see if he improves his game like Lebron did. 

Earlier, I didn't even mention KD, Curry, Harden, Dame.  Assuming KD and Curry come back strong, Luka is more around #10 than #2 at this point.  Performing great in the regular season is great but the playoffs are where star players proves themselves against other star players.  That's why I'd put Harden closer to #10 than #2 too.

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!!!!!!

And at least he is TRYING to shoot 3s....unlike SOMEONE we all know..(cough cough).....LOL........

But Noooooooooooo he gets a free pass because dude is 6'10"....let's see how HE does in the playoffs without a J.............crazy how the Sports Media gives him a free pass but they ROASTED Rondo................

I have no doubt Luka will get better....and he WON'T take 4 years to do it (cough cough see above Simmons pic hint hint).

Dude is getting every opponent's best efforts with Kristaps getting his legs under him.

He has a fine team around him but EVERY Alpha needs an A1, A2, etc, etc....

And I don't know what games you're looking at but the defensive effort IS there. He WILL get better in that regard.

Tell you what - I'll save you a front seat on that Luka Hype Train. Free of charge.

« Reply #1654 on: January 25, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Don't bother people are blinded by Luka. They'll scream at Trae for his lack of defense, but give Luka a pass because he's Celticsblog golden boy.

« Reply #1655 on: January 25, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Don't bother people are blinded by Luka. They'll scream at Trae for his lack of defense, but give Luka a pass because he's Celticsblog golden boy.

I don't think Doncic's defense is that bad. I'd rate him as close to average.

He benefits a lot from having good size and strength at forward (relative to Trae). Luka also has good know-how in terms of positioning and minimizing his weaknesses due to his many years as a pro prior to coming to the NBA.

So, I don't see him getting much better on D. He already has a lot of experience and knowledge. And his quickness is what it is.

« Reply #1656 on: January 25, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

You think that's bad?

Wait until the Zion Train gets rolling - and it WILL.

Look - I love our Celtics too - and we have a BRIGHT future with The Jays, Kemba, Marcus, GH and Co.

But I really love this other talent out there.

Count me as a fan of the game, not only BOS.

« Reply #1657 on: January 25, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Except, the Hawks are at 11-35 (second worst record in the NBA), whereas the Mavs are at 28-16.

To put it another way, Luka is playing winning basketball. Trae is just an entertainer.

« Reply #1658 on: January 25, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That’s because Trae might well be the worst defender in the whole league, whereas Luka is average. Also, Luka actually wins
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1659 on: January 25, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
 :o

That’s because Trae might well be the worst defender in the whole league, whereas Luka is average. Also, Luka actually wins

Dont bother. He will just continue to whine about Luka getting more credit than Trae, while refusing to refute theae arguments.

« Reply #1660 on: January 25, 2020, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Man Conley may be aging worse than Horford

« Reply #1661 on: January 25, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Dont bother. He will just continue to whine about Luka getting more credit than Trae, while refusing to refute theae arguments.

Oh come off it will you? This place is absolutely in love with Luka. So stop your insults.

« Reply #1662 on: January 25, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man Conley may be aging worse than Horford
Would Utah be first in the West if they had Conley of last year?

Oh come off it will you? This place is absolutely in love with Luka. So stop your insults.
You didn’t exactly prove him wrong
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1663 on: January 25, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Oh wow, what a block from Zion the other day!

I just got around to looking up his highlights now. That was a crazy block. He came over from the weakside, man he got high, way up in the air and swatted that ball so hard it went 6-7 rows up into the stands courtside.

« Reply #1664 on: January 25, 2020, 07:51:45 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Tonight’s Lakers v. Sixers might be the first NBA game of the season (not involving the Celtics) where I want to watch the whole thing.

Hopefully the ball and chain doesn’t enlist me to hang!